True Blue Quarry Rutland, VT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Does anyone have experience diving in True Blue Quarry in Rutland, VT?

I was thinking of heading up there for a trip soon for cavern/cave practice/skills refresh. From all the research I've done it looks like most of the passages are pretty deep, starting at 90ft or so.

Even if I didn't do any of passages, is it worth exploring? I'm more of an ocean person and quarries don't really fascination me too much but thought of having an area to practice cave diving in New England is very interesting to me

Great place to dive I was up there about 3 weeks ago. It's cold year round 38 - 42F . I think next week I will be driving up for a dive or two. There's one line at about 60 ft but there is also a deep section 130 ft. FYI this is an adv dive site

Thanks good to know. I'm thinking a trip up there is in order soon. Not looking forward to water temp though :-(

Last time I was up there it was posted with "No Trespassing" sings all over the place.

I was there in mid May and didn't see a single No Trespassing sign, just a few folks shooting, a guy fishing and some kids swimming (it was 85, and the surface water was warm, but like others said it gets very cold very fast at depth).

I was just up there today its still cold I spoke to the caretaker and the signs are for the shooter. The owners of the land does not mind driver. Its the shooters that make a mess. I had two great cold dives

Just wanted to report that I dove up there a few weeks ago. COLD at depth (135ft). I think I got 39-40f degrees. Very nice though but not sure I would be willing to make the 3.5 hour drive every weekend but it's definitely something different.

Definitely need warm undergarments, good gloves and warm hood for this one.

The open-water section does freeze over but hasn't completely in the past two years. Was there 2 weeks ago and some of the edges were frozen over but wasn't a hazard to surfacing in 95% of the open-water. This can be a difficult site to dive in the winter though, especially if you are not prepared for the cold and are unfamiliar with the site. The open-water section is very cool and there is a lot to see. Defiantly need overhead training before entering the mine if you do not already. This is still one of my favorite places to dive though!

Back
Top Bottom