Troubling mask issue on CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muddiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to try to figure out my problem, but here goes. I started training on a Jetsem KISS Sport CCR and it seems realitively simple (not that moving from FO2 to PO2 thinking is simple) and I have been doing really well with the main skills.

My problem didn't surface until my open water dives. About 20 minutes into the dive I start having this problem with sucking through my nose and eventually I suck salt water into my nose. This has occurred even when I try to concentrate on keeping my nose closed to breath through my mouth. :confused:

My instructor said he check around and this ends up being a fullface mask diver issue. Granted I perfer to dive a fullface mask on OCR, but I don't dive that way all the time. I use a regular scuba regulator and regulator scuba mask on vacation and I don't have this problem. Also I switched from a 30 year old design mask to a new Atomics Aquatics mask.

Anyone hear of this kind of problem.

I had the problem my first few times on CCR. I've never been on a full face mask, so I can't speak to that. However, when I was aware that OC I often kept positive pressure in my scuba mask, and now I had to pay closer attention to equalizing it when changing depth.

I can relate to this. I noticed this as well when I started CCR. the issue can be worsened with the position of the BMCL's of the sport Kiss. I don't notice it so much on my rEvo or the copis meg. being on the loop of a CCR is quite different than being on a regulator as instead of being assisted by the pressure of the regulator when breathing, you have to deal more with the pressure of the surrounding water. You hear so many instructors focusing on minimum loop volume as a goal whereas to battle this issue, which can do not so good things to my ears as well, I add a bit more weight and try to keep a bit of a positive loop volume, you might want to try that.

hope that helps.

g

A couple things could be going on here's a few.
1) Your not trimmed out quite right for the KISS (need slightly head up for their BMCL) so you have a negative pressure building. Not sure why this issue is seen in the KISS the CLs are close to you but whatever, also I've only seen this in the CK don't know about the sport.
2) Not at optimal loop volume. See if when inhaling (all the way not normal breathing) you hit the bottom or not, if you do add a touch of dil.
Good luck.

Thanks guys, I am also thinking that I need to trim my dry suit hood face seal. Right now it kind of sits on the top of my mask and I think it might be forcing the mask down the front of my upper lip onto my mustache. Such simple things like this leaky mask thing bug the heck out of me, because it seems so basic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom