Info Ocean Reef Neptune III stutter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBlueDog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have started diving with Ocean Reef Neptune III. If I breathe hard, for example when I have been finning against a current, the mask starts to stutter. Also it is more likely to stutter when I breathe through the nose rather than through the mouth. My setup is an inverted twinset with a 150cm hose running from an Apeks DS4 to the Neptune III through a XS scuba quick disconnect. I am not sure how to fix that. I adjusted the intermediate pressure on the DS4 to be right on 140 psi. The mask purges well so not sure what this is. It's quite disconcerting which makes me distrust the mask. Anyone has any ideas? From what I read on this board is quite a few FFM have this issue and people have suggested various solutions from dolop of grece on the diaphragm lever to tighteing nuts also on the diaphram lever. So seems it is the diaphram lever to be the common culprit. But this has not been discussed for Ocean Reef products. Please any ideas??

I have started diving with Ocean Reef Neptune III. If I breathe hard, for example when I have been finning against a current, the mask starts to stutter. Also it is more likely to stutter when I breathe through the nose rather than through the mouth. My setup is an inverted twinset with a 150cm hose running from an Apeks DS4 to the Neptune III through a XS scuba quick disconnect. I am not sure how to fix that. I adjusted the intermediate pressure on the DS4 to be right on 140 psi. The mask purges well so not sure what this is. It's quite disconcerting which makes me distrust the mask. Anyone has any ideas? From what I read on this board is quite a few FFM have this issue and people have suggested various solutions from dolop of grece on the diaphragm lever to tighteing nuts also on the diaphram lever. So seems it is the diaphram lever to be the common culprit. But this has not been discussed for Ocean Reef products. Please any ideas??
I have a couple hundred dives on my OR G.divers ffm. I have that shuttering problem when I increase breath rate or change head orientation. However i can relieve the problem by turning the breathing effort knob on the side of the regulator.
Not sure if that helps for your Neptune.

As I side note - Also I noticed I use a ton of air quickly with the ffm. When I’m at resorts diving I’m usually the first to come up. So I switch to a standard mask for resort dives and can get around 40-50min on a tank.

I have a couple hundred dives on my OR G.divers ffm. I have that shuttering problem when I increase breath rate or change head orientation. However i can relieve the problem by turning the breathing effort knob on the side of the regulator.
Not sure if that helps for your Neptune.

As I side note - Also I noticed I use a ton of air quickly with the ffm. When I’m at resorts diving I’m usually the first to come up. So I switch to a standard mask for resort dives and can get around 40-50min on a tank.
OR stupidly got rid of the cotrol knob. But I did solve the problem by raising the cracking pressure ever so slightly. Now it works at all depths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom