Tropical Diving with or without wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In summer in the Caribbean I dive with just a T-shirt on during summer (I used to dive bare chested, but that was back when I had better abs - now I just look sad, old and chubby).

During winter I usually wear just a wetsuit jacket.

I never worry too much about getting stung or scratched (keeps me focused on bouyancy control!).

You lose the most out of your head, arm pits, and groin.

I understand the evolutionary survival reflex that maintains blood flow to the head in spite of cold. The brain has to keep functioning.... but the armpits and groin?

Hmmmm. :eyebrow:

Oh, water here is really warm now. Had to sit out the last several months due to surgery, but going back this weekend. Just scored a 3mm Pinnacle Seal new off EBay for $78. Can't wait to dive. Low viz and lots of sharp oyster shells, etc. here make it kinda necessary, but I do love diving without a suit/minimal "shortie" or "core warmer" when in warm, clear waters.

I understand the evolutionary survival reflex that maintains blood flow to the head in spite of cold. The brain has to keep functioning.... but the armpits and groin?

Hmmmm. :eyebrow:

Just happens to be a large confluence of blood vessels close to the skin. Think about a major traffic intersection: all the blood for your legs flows out and back through your groin, all the blood for your arms flows out and back through your armpits.

"I just recently started diving with just board shorts"

Beware the thimble-jelly-in-the-pants with a pair of these..... up one leg and then out the other.
Yikes!
And there really is NO good way to signal your buddy about what is happening to your junk.

Back
Top Bottom