Trolling motor DPV project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divepig2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings all!
I have started a DIY DPV project based on a Minn-Kota motor "grafted" to a pvc reducing coupler. I'm scavenging the shroud from a dead SeaDoo. I plan to use the speed control from the Minn-Kota, and maybe the relay from the SeaDoo. I'm electronically challenged but adept at keeping things dry. Help in the wiring department will be welcomed.

Oh, as far as the paint....I do that for a living so it costs me nothing, gets sprayed while I have the gun out for other things, takes me minimal time to mask, and it's just a sickness I have!

The only seal I'm concerned about is the shaft seal and I'm looking into how I can beef that up.

Don't bother telling me why I can't, shouldn't, won't or mustn't. I don't speak that language. Other than that, comments, questions and suggestions are welcomed!!

Attachments

• motor.JPG
    motor.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,194
  • parts layout.JPG
    parts layout.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 945
  • prop shroud and motor housing.JPG
    prop shroud and motor housing.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,051
  • shroud & housing 2.JPG
    shroud & housing 2.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 894
  • empty assembly.JPG
    empty assembly.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 947
For the seal - can't you use a shaft seal from a pool pump? Mcmaster has ceramic seals similar to what commercial scooter manifacturers use - it looks like a spring with disk at the end. Not sure about diameters though.

Looks nice so far. What blades are you planning to use?

Hi Antero,
That's a good idea about the pump seal. I will look into that. My neighbor is a well driller so I'll probably see what he has also (water pump seal). As far as the prop, I have the one that came with the motor but I'm thinking of ditching it for a weedless type (3 blades and a more aggressive pitch).

I would like to trade imformation but it should be through private messages . Your time , effort and gained knowledge should not be given away to anybody . Most people want a free ride and lucky to give a thankyou .

For the seal - can't you use a shaft seal from a pool pump? Mcmaster has ceramic seals similar to what commercial scooter manifacturers use - it looks like a spring with disk at the end. Not sure about diameters though.

Looks nice so far. What blades are you planning to use?

Excellent idea, I'm playing with making an ROV and was trying to figure out seals for the motor/shaft.

...Your time , effort and gained knowledge should not be given away to anybody . Most people want a free ride and lucky to give a thankyou .

??? So everything that you have done is invented by you or paid by you? And you never took a "free ride"?:idk:

Hello antero I have spent 200 + hours of my time to develop something that is different and a possible use for the professional , industrial and government application . I like to be open and helpful but it is not wise some of the time . You can send a message to me if you like to build things .

I have an idea to put brushless motor ( inrunner ) inside used industrial pnevmatic cylinder right size!

BRUSHLESS

Brushless with planetary gears to reduce rpm's PLANETARY GEAR

I'll use existing shaft with (existing washer (turned in opposite direction because of pressure direction)) and existing piston as torque clutch to gearbox.

Enclosure is heat conductive , watertight (pressuretight) and easy to get it. Very simple to solve all kind of problems in one piece. Inlets to pnevmatic cylinder has standard size and can be very simple and effective sealed!

Battery could be in separated tank in front of that drive.

Schroud and screw should be bought as spare parts from service of scooter producers!

standard-pneumatic-cylinder-120959.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom