Trivial Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During fundies, my instructor had us put a loop of innertube at the base of the d-ring, where it "conects" to the webbing, it helps the dring stand out and makes clipping easier...but you still need to practice and be able to make the clip w/o looking.

KMD:
The issues that come to mind when I see the static ring, is as it is always sticking out there is a greater entanglement risk and as it doesnt swing freely, stage/deco bottles have less range of motion to find the slipstream.
Those are exactly the issues. Using a Billy Ring or some other "crutch" is what we call "an engineering solution to a training problem". There are no known issues with the movable D-ring, and at least a couple of potential issues with the rigid D-ring. Therefore the DIR recommendation would be in favor of the movable D-ring.

As with most things, people get better at clipping/unclipping with practice. I use a technique similar to yours KMD, for finding and clipping the SPG, I have never felt the need to do anything to make the ring "stand up".

iowasnowboarder:
During fundies, my instructor had us put a loop of innertube at the base of the d-ring, where it "conects" to the webbing, it helps the dring stand out and makes clipping easier.
First time I have ever heard of that. Who was the instructor?

Otter,
I'm not DIR so cannot give a DIR answer per se but as others have pointed out you get a lot better with plenty of practice. I used to find it annoying as well but if I didn't get it clipped off after a couple of attempts I would ask my buddy for help and the problem would disappear. It was also good practice in buoyancy control getting my buddy to help me.

KMD:
Its a DIR forum. I'm not discounting his experience (which is tons more than mine) but he is aproaching his thoughts from non-DIR perspective.

He may not be DIR, but I'm not convinced that making things easier (his perspective) is un-DIR. In fact, I'm not even sure JJ or GI3 would care whether people use a Billy Ring or not, at least I've never seen any GUE instructor address this issue.

Um... none of that stuff is new or been changed recently. Heck jetfins have been around for longer then I have.

The issues that come to mind when I see the static ring, is as it is always sticking out there is a greater entanglement risk and as it doesnt swing freely, stage/deco bottles have less range of motion to find the slipstream.

No, but lots of people (myself included) switched from split fins to jets because I found jets better (easier?) for frog- and backkicking. Was I replacing a skill with gear?

I don't buy the entanglement argument; the Billy Ring adds an insignificant amount of extra risk at the hip location imo, and regular hip D-rings can stick up too but I've never heard of an entanglement issue with one. As for the "swing freely / range of motion argument" that may be true (can't say since I haven't tried). I suspect, however, that if I was diving with 7mm 3-finger mitts, then the advantages of the Billy Ring over the regular D-ring might outweigh the disadvantages for me.

*Floater*:
No, but lots of people (myself included) switched from split fins to jets because I found jets better (easier?) for frog- and backkicking. Was I replacing a skill with gear?

I don't buy the entanglement argument; the Billy Ring adds an insignificant amount of extra risk at the hip location imo, and regular hip D-rings can stick up too but I've never heard of an entanglement issue with one. As for the "swing freely / range of motion argument" that may be true (can't say since I haven't tried). I suspect, however, that if I was diving with 7mm 3-finger mitts, then the advantages of the Billy Ring over the regular D-ring might outweigh the disadvantages for me.

Good point on the jetfins..

That 'swing' that a flat movable D-ring is giving is negligable compated to the snap and cord of the stage rig. Honestly guys. If you need to have that 'swing' to be better streamlined.... you are doing something wrong, the stage is too tight. You would have some issues with clipping on/off.

The cord gives the play at the hip to make the stage 'fall into the slip stream'. The front of the tank os far more crucial to streamlining than the back. The back should be somewhat loose yes, but that is the cord, not per se the mivement of a flat d-ring.

It really seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

It all comes down to muscle memory.

My vote is to leave as is (non rigid D-ring) and give it a few dives, clipping and unclipping frequently.

On a side note, a Billy ring is 2 D-rings welded at a 45 degree angle to each other.

I agree with Jason--muscle memory is best.

Jason B:
On a side note, a Billy ring is 2 D-rings welded at a 45 degree angle to each other.

Original Billy Rings may have been like that but these days other D-rings that stick out are also sold as "Billy Rings" like the ones below by reefscuba.com:

90Billyring.jpg
DRingSpiked.jpg
30Billyring.jpg

I see why there could be arguments against a billy ring, in spite of some small measure of assistance.

Do any of those arguments hold up against the bent d-ring option? I can't see any possible downside to that one, personally. The change from a standard to a bent d-ring is so minor as to almost disappear, yet it could help in certain situations, and yet be nearly indistinguishable from a standard d-ring in most others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom