Trivial Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
30Billyring.jpg
Not sure I understand the need for a bent, rigid d-ring :)

Many good points....thank you.

Trying to think DIR, if there is a problem with a configuration, it should be avoided. The height of the billy ring I have is about 1/2 that of the standard d-ring...therefore, I am not sure it represents any more of an entanglement hazard. A DIR diver is a thinking diver, and before I make a decision one way or another, I want to understand the plusses and minuses. I will likely practice using the side of my thumb until thats solid and then decide I use the d-ring the BP/W manufacturer included or a billy ring. Either way, I will use the same technique (not replacing training with equipment) but I might decide that a rigid ring will less height is actually safer than a floating one with a greater height.

I am concerned that with a stage bottle or two clipped off, there won't be enough d-ring to attach to on the smaller (rigid) one.

I've noticed this more since switching to the less rigid 'H' webbing on my harness (my old rig had the more rigid weight belt webbing) making the d-ring more apt to stay laying closely to the waist strap either forward or back after unclipping. It can be annoying at first, but I just remember to flip the d-ring forward if it is laying back and clip. It doesn't take more than a fraction of a second to flip it forward if you remember to feel where the ring is at every time. After a while, it is no longer an annoyance, just an extra small step that becomes part of clipping the gauge.
If it is a major issue for you that you can't resolve, switch to a stiffer harness. Go to a shop and buy 15' of weight belt webbing and re-thread your back plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom