Triple-L BC's and Products in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy:
My Stratos in size L came yesterday.... Happily, the L fit almost perfect straight out of the box.
Billy--

Glad to hear the L seems better on you.

It sounds like you're ballpark the same size as I am, and as you may remember I too got an L. With no wetsuit on, and completely deflated, the sides of my Stratos come to about 5" of one another in the front. That's with the elastic strap over the cummerbund pulled tight all the way to its end. About the same as you (2-3" either side of midpoint)?

With any kind of wetsuit (which I don't have now), it shouldn't be too big on me at all. But I'm likely to do most of my diving for the foreseeable future at the Red Sea in summer, where I only wear a dive skin. I think it'll be okay, though.

I'll be eager to hear how the Stratos works in the water... looks like you'll be wet way before I am.

Um, I don't want to open myself up for another flame from anyone, but they charged you the $35 restocking fee for your exchange, did they? Or did they?

Do you (or anyone? CHUD?) have any idea what the three stainless steel D-rings are for along the bottom edge? One centered in the back, and one under each pocket on the front sides? For a crotch strap, maybe... but I've never seen a crotch strap used with a jacket-type BC like this.

--Marek

Marek K:
Billy--

Glad to hear the L seems better on you.

It sounds like you're ballpark the same size as I am, and as you may remember I too got an L. With no wetsuit on, and completely deflated, the sides of my Stratos come to about 5" of one another in the front. That's with the elastic strap over the cummerbund pulled tight all the way to its end. About the same as you (2-3" either side of midpoint)?

With any kind of wetsuit (which I don't have now), it shouldn't be too big on me at all. But I'm likely to do most of my diving for the foreseeable future at the Red Sea in summer, where I only wear a dive skin. I think it'll be okay, though.

I'll be eager to hear how the Stratos works in the water... looks like you'll be wet way before I am.

Um, I don't want to open myself up for another flame from anyone, but they charged you the $35 restocking fee for your exchange, did they? Or did they?

Do you (or anyone? CHUD?) have any idea what the three stainless steel D-rings are for along the bottom edge? One centered in the back, and one under each pocket on the front sides? For a crotch strap, maybe... but I've never seen a crotch strap used with a jacket-type BC like this.

--Marek

hey there Marek!

The D-rings...I'm just guessing but the ones on the bottom front could be for your octo and gauge console if you prefer them low (I usually stick mine under the front strap). Or they could be just generic use for anything. The one in the back could conceivably be for a crotch strap; they may not be common but I don't see what harm one could do with a jacket BC. Maybe it's for those rare occasions when you want to tow a message streamer behind you, like an airplane. FRED'S DIVE SHACK. CLEANEST AIR IN TOWN. 555-3583 :D

Yes, they did charge me the restocking fee, as well as what I guess was the shipping charge for one of the two deliveries from them to me. And of course I had to pay the UPS charge to return the XL. Lesson learned. Again I don't blame them, I'm more disappointed at myself.

ANYWAY

After I got home from work I decided to try the Stratos on again, this time with my tank strapped on and my reg installed. At first it seemed very "tank heavy" in that I kept leaning forward to counteract the tank pulling down my back. So it did feel big. Turned out it needed adusted--tightened the shoulder straps down, it felt much more balanced and snug. Another lesson learned!

I would say that the sizing is about the same on both you and me as far as the space in front. I'm going to assume that that is about what the designers considered "right".

With the tank and everything, I though to myself, now THIS is what a BC is supposed to feel like. Especially after I compared it to the old Nautica. It's amazing...putting the two side by side, and then on, the Stratos is truly a significant step up! Everything feels more substantial, even ignoring the extreme used-ness of the Dacor. The inflator is silky smooth, all the dump valves work, the cummerbund and all the straps are bigger and beefier. All those D-rings and dump valve strings feel like power seats and windows in a car to me. The feast after the famine!

And get this: the Dacor is an L, when I had thought for some reason it was an XL. Tried it on after the Stratos. It really IS too small! I wasn't imagining things...that cummerbund now feels almost not there. I suppose if Triple-L sizes their BCs too big, either Dacor sizes theirs too small or it just really shrank from all those years of heavy use. I knew I wanted a new BC, but I had no idea what I was missing, and how bad I needed one.

Anyway, enough gushing. I really must get into the pool with this thing.

If new gear is gonna be this good, I can't wait to plunk down some more cash on something. hee hee

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
The D-rings...I'm just guessing but the ones on the bottom front could be for your octo and gauge console if you prefer them low (I usually stick mine under the front strap).
No, I don't think so. That would put your octo way too low; outside of the standard "triangle between chin and ribcage corners." And a console clipped there would be almost out of reach.

I'm going to use the steel D-rings at the bottoms of the shoulder straps to clip on my octo and console. Say again where you intend to "stick" them??

I don't think there's any harm in having the low D-rings there either; it's just that Triple-L seems to have spent a lot of money to design and place them there, and I'd like to know why. The Y-crotch strap they offer is identified as being intended for the Orion.

Seems that the elastic strap over the cummerbund is intended to let the BC expand in front, to keep you from feeling constricted. Unlike some other folks, I've never had a problem with that... In fact, I've always liked to cinch things tight. And according to the Australian review of the Stratos (www.diveoz.com.au/gear_reviews/display_review.asp?rid=9), the elastic strap would loosen up through the buckle expecially when wet. We'll see.

Have you tried the BC on over a wetsuit yet? I'd be interested in hearing how it fits then... like I said, I don't have a wetsuit now.

Why are you disappointed in yourself regarding the XL you ordered at first? I assume you went by the size chart. I had looked carefully at the chart; I measure about 43" around my chest, just under my armpits; that would put me solidly into a XL, too... which would be much too large.

But I remembered posts from a bunch of people that Triple-L's sizing tends to run large. Plus, both of the rental BCs I'd been wearing recently were Larges. So I decided to go with the L.

Um, the Australian review said that they had a tough time getting 6 lb of weights into each pocket, and having the pockets release easily. Also that, with all the padding (like on the backpack?), the BC was pretty buoyant... so much so that they needed two more pounds of weight than usual. Looks like the backpack padding is removable; but the hard backpack wouldn't be comfortable over just my dive skins.

--Marek

Marek K:
No, I don't think so. That would put your octo way too low; outside of the standard "triangle between chin and ribcage corners." And a console clipped there would be almost out of reach.

I'm going to use the steel D-rings at the bottoms of the shoulder straps to clip on my octo and console. Say again where you intend to "stick" them??

You're right, I don't know why I forgot that. Lately I've been tucking my octo and gauges between my BC's cummerbund and the other strap in front (the elastic one). Probably not the DIR way, but I think I picked that up on the Blackbeard's cruise. It does keep those two things in the triangle.

I don't think there's any harm in having the low D-rings there either; it's just that Triple-L seems to have spent a lot of money to design and place them there, and I'd like to know why. The Y-crotch strap they offer is identified as being intended for the Orion.

The crotch strap is a Y shape? That settles it: those D-rings must be for a crotch strap.

And according to the Australian review of the Stratos (www.diveoz.com.au/gear_reviews/display_review.asp?rid=9), the elastic strap would loosen up through the buckle expecially when wet. We'll see.

Indeed.

Have you tried the BC on over a wetsuit yet? I'd be interested in hearing how it fits then... like I said, I don't have a wetsuit now.
Nope, I will do that asap and let you know how it works. I'm most interested in checking it out with my thick fullsuit.

Why are you disappointed in yourself regarding the XL you ordered at first? I assume you went by the size chart. I had looked carefully at the chart; I measure about 43" around my chest, just under my armpits; that would put me solidly into a XL, too... which would be much too large.

I'm just being self-deprecating there. :) This was just one of those "doh!" moments, you know? Slap my forehead and say, "dang, if only I'd have..." Mostly it's the extra money I wasted by having to do the return/exchange, and the feeling that if I'd been more careful I'd have gotten the right size the first time.

anyway...cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
Lately I've been tucking my octo and gauges between my BC's cummerbund and the other strap in front (the elastic one). Probably not the DIR way, but I think I picked that up on the Blackbeard's cruise. It does keep those two things in the triangle.
OK, at the risk of one of us getting flamed... :wink: I assume you're tucking your console in there to keep it from dangling down. You can still see it, around the bottom of your mask?

How about octo deployment? How's that "tucked" in? Do you just put a bend in the hose, and tuck that in so that the octo comes out with a pull?

With this new Stratos, you might not find enough room to tuck both in there without maybe getting tangled...

--Marek

Hi everyone, I have a size XL Orion BC and I really need to sell it and get an L instead. I bought an XL since the sizing chart kinnda fit me, but after using it for a couple of times, I would say that it's kinnda big for me (since I need to adjust everything to get it to fit). So if anyone would like to buy it from me, feel free to send me a message. Or if anyone is thinking about selling a size L Orion, please do message me too :). This BC has only been used twice in fresh water :). I've also post a thread in the gear and equipment classified section.

najibest:
Hi everyone, I have a size XL Orion BC and I really need to sell it and get an L instead. I bought an XL since the sizing chart kinnda fit me, but after using it for a couple of times, I would say that it's kinnda big for me (since I need to adjust everything to get it to fit). So if anyone would like to buy it from me, feel free to send me a message.

NOW you're telling me?!? I ordered one last week and I'm still waiting for it to come.

Hi all,

I got my TripleL Orion just now. From what I've seen up to now it looks great and fits ok (I spent two hours converting cm to inch and feet before ordering it for this).

I'll get to try it out Saturday. If anyone's interested in my experience with it, send a message or post a reply to this thread and I'll post a followup (probably around Sunday or monday).

I've had my Orion for a while now and I only have two minor complaints. First, despite the many D-rings, the Orion doesn't offer many options for storing gear. The single pocket is small and the belt has no unoccupied space. If you don't have pockets on your suit, you'll have to get creative or hang stuff from clips.

Second, the cummerbund velcro is not strong enough if you use a lot of weight (30 lbs in my case). It's not a problem when you are wearing the Orion, only when it's off your body with all of the weights in. The web belt inside the velcro will keep anything from coming apart, but it's a nuisance. I usually pull the drop pockets out before removing the BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom