Triple-L BC's and Products in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey all

I've inquired before but it must have gotten lost in transmission, so...

I'm quite interested in Triple-L's BCs based on everything I've read here and on their website. Everyone seems to be in agreement that they are generally great BCs for a great price. My questions are:

1) Probably the frontrunner for me would be the Stratos, although the Taurus looks awfully appealing because it's not only touted as "heavy duty" but is also almost $30 cheaper. So what are the real differences between the two, and is one subjectively "better"?

2) The Libra is also tempting because it appears to be a clone of the Scubapro stab jacket, which has always had this kind of allure with me. However I honestly don't know what the advantages of a stab jacket design over a conventional jacket BCD are. Can anyone give their opinions, and whether the Libra should also be in the running?

As some of you already know, I do mostly quarry diving around Ohio with occasional excursions elsewhere, bith warmer and cooler. I don't do tech diving. I may try a bp/w BC sometime but I'm not in any hurry.

Whatever BC I choose would be replacing a quite worn Dacor Nautica...obviously I'm used to the standard jacket design.

INQUIRY MODE OFF

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
hey all

Billy--

I haven't dived my new Stratos yet, but can address some of this based on the pictures on the Triple-L web site...

The Stratos is obviously a traditional jacket-type BC. The Taurus looks generally similar, except 1) no weight integration, and apparently no fixed weight pockets; 2) no small zippered pockets in the two main pocket flaps; and 3) slightly different buckled strap over the cummerbund -- can't tell if it's elastic like the strange Stratos one, but it does appear to tighten from both sides. I also can't tell if it's got two tank straps like the Stratos, or just one. All in all, this probably accounts for the $30 difference.

Can't address the Libra, but wow, it does look like the BC jackets we used to have 20 years ago... with the bladder going up all the way over the shoulders. Just seems like it would tend to tilt you into a head-position underwater... The power inflator looks unusual, and it would be strange to have that separate oral inflator.

--Marek

Moogyboy:
hey all

I'm quite interested in Triple-L's BCs based on everything I've read here and on their website. Everyone seems to be in agreement that they are generally great BCs for a great price. My questions are:

1) Probably the frontrunner for me would be the Stratos, although the Taurus looks awfully appealing because it's not only touted as "heavy duty" but is also almost $30 cheaper. So what are the real differences between the two, and is one subjectively "better"?

2) The Libra is also tempting because it appears to be a clone of the Scubapro stab jacket, which has always had this kind of allure with me. However I honestly don't know what the advantages of a stab jacket design over a conventional jacket BCD are. Can anyone give their opinions, and whether the Libra should also be in the running?

As some of you already know, I do mostly quarry diving around Ohio with occasional excursions elsewhere, bith warmer and cooler. I don't do tech diving. I may try a bp/w BC sometime but I'm not in any hurry.

Whatever BC I choose would be replacing a quite worn Dacor Nautica...obviously I'm used to the standard jacket design.

INQUIRY MODE OFF

cheers

Billy S.

Also keep in mind that the catalog says that the instructor is made with nylon 840D polyurethane, the stratos is made with 840 denier PVC nylon, while the taurus is made from 420D polyurethane fabric. I'm not sure theres any difference between a "nylon 840D polyurethane fabric" and "840 denier PVC nylon" but the higher the denier the more rugged the fabric so I can't see how a taurus would be more rugged than a stratos or instructor.

Probably a real dumb question but in regards to the weight pouches on these BCs, do these eliminate the need for traditional weight belt or are they used in conjuction with?And does it matter if you utilize soft or molded weights?

I guess it would depend on how much weight you need to carry. It looks to me like the most you could carry in a stratos or instructor is around 18 lbs. So if you need more than that you probably need a weight belt in addition to the bcd weights. Has anyone been able to load up more than that?

Backtanner:
Probably a real dumb question but in regards to the weight pouches on these BCs, do these eliminate the need for traditional weight belt or are they used in conjuction with?And does it matter if you utilize soft or molded weights?
Personal choice. I use a rear inflate simular to the Orin, I put 10lbs in the weight interagrated pockets and the rest on a belt (when diving dry)

Thought process is: if I need to dump, I don't have to dump all of the weight.

On the crotch strap: Triple L has one listed on thier web site for the Orion.

On the issue of it "throwing you face down". Like others have said, if you are over weighted, and/or put to much air in at the surface it will toss you face down. However, if you are properly weighted and use just enough to be positive at the surface, you will not be thrown face down.......

JustFYI

jreihl:
I have had an Orion for almost one year and love it. For the price you cant beat the quality.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or need some detailed pictures.

Hello,

What has been your experience with getting your BCD serviced? Are the parts standard? Can any LDS service them?

hey all

Just to let you know, I ordered a Stratos in XL size today. I will post my impressions of it when I receive it.

cheers

Billy S.

CHUD:
I just received the Stratos BC from Triple-L and was impressed with its quality. I haven't used it yet, though, because I bought the wrong darned size! I normally wear an XL Scubapro BC since I'm not the svelte young stud I was 20 years ago (and even then only in my imagination), so I didn't look too carefully at the Triple-L sizing chart and ordered an XL. Looking at the chart now I see that while I do fit the XL chest/waist dimensions on the chart, I'm actually on the bottom end of the ranges and the Large ranges are closer to truth.

The BC, while nice and well made, was really big on me, as was the weight belt I ordered with it. I liked everything about it but the fit. I'm returning it to exchange for a large and will post my impressions after I dive it.

I am about 5'9", 230 lbs, appx 38" waist and a fairly broad chest and shoulders (approximating with a regular flat ruler, I got about a 48" chest measurement!). I ordered the XL because, among other things, my current BC is an XL and fits well with a 3mm wetsuit, but is tight with my 6.5mm fullsuit, and the cummerbund comes apart either way, so I decided to play it safe and hope the new one is as adjustable as they say it is. :) We shall see.

cheers

Billy S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom