Triple-L BC's and Products in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CHUD:
Well, bear in mind that I don't push away from the dinner table nearly soon enough.
03.gif
Yeah, I hear ya.
confused4.gif
And feel your pain.

CHUD:
So for me, the cummerbund is a tight fit -- when I make it as tight as I can I have about 1/3 of the hook portion uncovered (so there's about 2/3 of the hooks & pile making contact). It feels pretty secure, though.
Is that with, or without exposure suit? (Hmmm... California... I'd guess with?) Do you have the the cummerbund straps loosened all the way at the backpack? Anyway, with 2/3 of the Velcro fastening, I'd certainly think that was enough.

CHUD:
It feels very comfortable in the water -- I really have no complaints about it at all.
Well, that's the most inportant thing. I haven't had a chance to take the BC into the water yet, but I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Thanks!

--Marek

That's with a 7 mm wetsuit and with the cummerbund straps at their backpack "factory setting."

Just received my medium Orion single bladder for me and the Juvi for my daughter.
Wow, the quality is excellent. Here are a few comments I have:

Should have bought the double bladder, double the safety with double everything, oh well.

I kept looking for the elastic strap you all talking about but could not find it. I do have the wide strap infront of the cummerbund, is that what you all talking about? It is not elastic anymore. I guess they heard your comments and changed to no elastic?

According to the size chart, a medium should fit me but when I tried it on, it's a little small, especially around the cummerbund. Had to extend the back strap so that the cummerbund on the back only have 1/4 of the velcro hooks contact together so that I can press the velcro on the front together.

The medium only has 2 dropable weight pockets. Heard that the large or Xl has the extra 2 dropable weight pockets. Hey, if you take away some of the stuff for the M, well, give some money back :).

Overall, the Orion looks and feels great. Very sturdy. Oh and it sure is a D ring gallore :), 10 in all.

Now for the Juvi. for $53, wow. Great stuff, again, the cummerbund is a little small for my daughter, and she is very skinny.

Overall I think Triple L have a winner here. Will give it a try in Lake Austin here in TX this weekend and will report back.

The large size or larger Orion has two extra non-droppable pockets.

Xanthro

The elastic strap Marek & I were talking about is one that goes right on top of the cummerbund, serving to pull the left and right panels of the front of the BC together. The Orion may not have it; the one we've been discussing is on the Stratos model.

htn123:
I kept looking for the elastic strap you all talking about but could not find it. I do have the wide strap infront of the cummerbund, is that what you all talking about? It is not elastic anymore. I guess they heard your comments and changed to no elastic?
Yeah, what CHUD said... We've got Stratos BCs; the elastic strap is what seems to keep the pockets from flapping around, while still allowing for expansion when the BC is inflated. It's an odd setup, but seems to work. The Orion must not have or need it.

htn123:
Now for the Juvi. for $53, wow. Great stuff, again, the cummerbund is a little small for my daughter, and she is very skinny.
How old and tall is your daughter, and what are her measurements? Problem is, according to the charts, there seems to be a big size gap between the Juvi, and the smallest "adult" BC sizes.

Look forward to hearing the dive tests on your new BCs!!

--Marek

Well, y'know, Market Economy 101 says that an item is worth exactly as much as someone's willing to pay for it. :wink:

And the corrollary is what P.T. Barnum said.

And I understand that the few Triple-L dealers there are, get their "wholesale" items at exactly the same price that we do mail-order; so they have to charge a premium over that. Of course, the advantage should be that -- hopefully -- customers get to try the stuff on before buying, and can take it home right away. Neither of which would apply to E-Bay.

That having been said -- good work... Please accept a pat on the back for e-mailing and warning tht bidder! Did he answer you?

--Marek

Stealth Turbo:
Anyone notice the orions popping up on ebay.......some people will do anything to make a buck. I emailed the bidder and let him know whats going on.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16053&item=7101802973&rd=1

this one is at 226
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16053&item=7101750200&rd=1

I hope this isnt anyone on scubaboard.

Marek K:
Yeah, what CHUD said... We've got Stratos BCs; the elastic strap is what seems to keep the pockets from flapping around, while still allowing for expansion when the BC is inflated. It's an odd setup, but seems to work. The Orion must not have or need it.

How old and tall is your daughter, and what are her measurements? Problem is, according to the charts, there seems to be a big size gap between the Juvi, and the smallest "adult" BC sizes.

Look forward to hearing the dive tests on your new BCs!!

--Marek

Ok,
Just went diving with my daughter today. She was in the Juvi, I was in my Orion.
All I can say is WOW. The Orion is awesome. I used to dive with my brother Zeagel Ranger, and the Orion is almost identical.

The trimming was great, all the D rings were pretty helpfull, I switched my reg to a 7' hose and bungee the octo. It worked pretty well. I carried light and camera so those D rings works great getting those stuffs organized. I used a "home made" scrotch strap with 2 hooks so the bcd was very solid, did not move at all. Now, the scrotch strap got hooked on the back metal D ring, but on the front, I did not wanted to hook to the center small plastic D ring so I hooked on the right front metal D ring on the cumberbund. It worked well too. Did not notice that it was not centered. I put 4 lbs each on the ditchable left and right pockets. And also used the weight belt. The belt was not in the cumberbund's way. The ditchable pocket was solid, did not moved at all. I used the solid lead, not the bean bag type and it stayed in the pocket.

My daughter's Juvi is excellent. This is the first time she used it, and she was just like fish in the water :). She knew exactly how to inflate, deflate and maneuver. Actually she was in better control of the buoyance than me!!!! and she is only 10. She used a weight belt also. At first, she had some problem with the belt in the cumberbund way but after a minute or so of adjusting, it fit just fine. Oh, and she is 73 lbs and 4' 7" and the Juvi fit her very well.

We went to 51 feet for an hour. A couple of time, I started to float up, just had to remember to rotate the left shoulder higher before dumping the air, other than that, it was pretty easy.

Overall, both BCDs performed extremely well. I can see these bcds to be with us for quite a while.
No complain whatsoever.

Charles

I recently received my "instructor" bcd and I think it is an excellent deal. The workmanship and materials looks and feels much better than all the $400+ bcds I tried before I chose triple-l. My only gripe is that its called the instuctor but certainly a tiny drawback for a quality bcd at a bargain price. With the money I saved I can finally justify the atomic reg I was eyeing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom