Triple-L BC's and Products in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it was about 5 days or so to California. They ship by ground from Chicago.

Better than that to points east, apparently. My Stratos was shipped out from Chicago at 7:15 PM on 23 Aug; and arrived at Dulles, VA a day and a half later, at 10:44 on 25 Aug. I read someplace that their shipping times were long, but looks like they've fixed that.

--Marek

Scot M:
I think it was about 5 days or so to California. They ship by ground from Chicago.

Stealth Turbo:
Just ordered an orion. For less then half the price of the bc i had planned to buy (aeris atmos xt) i couldnt pass it up. I hope i am as satisfied as most of you have been.

P.S. how long did it take most of you to recieve your bc?

I had mine within a week of ordering it...

Just completed 11 dives in Maui with the Orion BC. Held up very well to near daily diving.

As to the inflator/deflator hose. You do need to lean BACK a little if the hose is under the supplied velcro strap. Also, I find that sometimes to get the last little air out, you need to rock your left shoulder upwards, then release the air. For me, it's only a concern when doing the safety stop, sometimes with an AL 80, I'm a bit light at the end of the dive.

Trim and diving were great down to 90 feet, max I've dived. Was a comfortable fit for even hour long dives. I wore it diving second catherdal at Lanai, and it was very stable in the caves.

I would have to say that if you are diving with over 30 lbs, then the Orion isn't the best BC unless you also plan to wear a weight belt. The cumberbund will keep falling off if you have much weight over the low 20s.

I did find you could comfortable do headstands and rolls, especially after adding a crouch strap. I had no problems peering head down under ledges, or swimming sideways looking under reef formations.

More than one divemaster commented on how they liked the Orion, and it served me very well on my dives.

Xanthro

Xanthro:
Just completed 11 dives in Maui with the Orion BC. Held up very well to near daily diving.

I did find you could comfortable do headstands and rolls, especially after adding a crouch strap...

Xanthro

I think my wife could use a crotch strap for her Orion.
Did you make your own or purchase one. Any details would be appreciated.

Sirto

Marek --

I'm sorry I didn't respond to this 'til now -- I just saw it tonight.

Marek K:
CHUD--

So, tell me in more detail how the Large that you're happy with fits you. How far down are your shoulder straps pulled? (On mine, there's about a 3-inch gap between the end of the strap padding, and the top of the pockets... seems just about right.)

That sounds about how mine fits too. When I crank the shoulder straps all the way down I've got about a 3-4 inch gap from the shoulder strap to the top of the pocket.

Marek K:
How does your cummerbund fit? (On mine, the velcro adjustments behind the backpack are just about congruent... that is, neither hook nor pile sticks out. And in front, the pile side of the cummerbund overlaps the hook side all the way to the end when it's snug, but with no overlap.)

Well, bear in mind that I don't push away from the dinner table nearly soon enough. :wink: So for me, the cummerbund is a tight fit -- when I make it as tight as I can I have about 1/3 of the hook portion uncovered (so there's about 2/3 of the hooks & pile making contact). It feels pretty secure, though.

Marek K:
I've just got a feeling that the elastic buckled strap isn't there for "structural" snugness; just to keep the pockets from flapping around. The structural role is done by the cummerbund. I agree, though; I'm not convinced about the elastic. Maybe just needs getting used to.

I think you're right about the cummerbund doing most of the work. Even when I crank the elastic strap all the way down it tends to work its way loose by the end of the dive, but I never notice until I'm taking it all off.

Marek K:
How did the fit change once the thing was in the water?

It feels very comfortable in the water -- I don't really need to make any adjustments once I splash and everything pretty much stays where it's supposed to. I really have no complaints about it at all.

Sirto:
I think my wife could use a crotch strap for her Orion.
Did you make your own or purchase one. Any details would be appreciated.

Sirto

I use the Dive Rite crotch strap. The D ring is already in the back, you'll have to thread the front. This means you'll have to cut off the plastic D ring on the front belt. Remove the buckle, place the crotch strap on the 2 inch webbing and replace the buckle.

It's not hard at all, and make I big difference in the fit.

Xanthro

Xanthro:
I use the Dive Rite crotch strap. The D ring is already in the back, you'll have to thread the front. This means you'll have to cut off the plastic D ring on the front belt. Remove the buckle, place the crotch strap on the 2 inch webbing and replace the buckle.

It's not hard at all, and make I big difference in the fit.

Xanthro
I found a model 1056, 1" crotch strap online. Is that what you used?

Can you explain why you need to remove the D ring. Is it just because the loop in the crotch strap isn't big enough for the buckle to fit through?

How does the strap attach at the back D ring? It's difficult to tell in the photo?

Lastly, can you tell me the maximum length that the strap can be adjusted for? I need one on my BCD as well but I don't have a D ring in back and would need to attach it to a tank strap so I'd like to know if it would be long enough to do that.

Sirto:
I found a model 1056, 1" crotch strap online. Is that what you used?

Can you explain why you need to remove the D ring. Is it just because the loop in the crotch strap isn't big enough for the buckle to fit through?

How does the strap attach at the back D ring? It's difficult to tell in the photo?

Lastly, can you tell me the maximum length that the strap can be adjusted for? I need one on my BCD as well but I don't have a D ring in back and would need to attach it to a tank strap so I'd like to know if it would be long enough to do that.

I'm not sure of the model number. You can't fit the crotch strap over the buckle. It's very tight, in fact, it's tight on just double thick 2" webbing. This helps keep it from moving around.

You might get 3 feet out of the length, but I don't know if that would be enough to make it to a tank cam band, and it would likely be uncomfortable if it did.

The back part simply a loop with a tension buckle, so anything at the bottom you could loop an inch wide webbing through would work.

Xanthro

Back
Top Bottom