Triple-L BC's and Products in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am seriously looking into an Orion, but have a question. Has anyone looked into how we'll get these things serviced etc? I just wonder if they'll have spare parts later on down the road. Thoughts?

Well I just took the plunge too! :) Ordered the Orion in Medium with the single cylinder setup. Replacing an older Zeagle back-inflate. I also ordered extra weight pockets, just in case I need them one day. I'll take it out and get it wet weekend after next (if I don't sneak in some pool time this weekend hehe).
Charley

Hi MavJax,

Thanks for your input.

mavjax:
You might want to look at your weighting. When I started I was using a ton of lead 22-24 pounds with 3mm suit) and had some of the problems you described. I'm 225 pounds, and this weekend I was diving a 5mm suit and using 10lbs. The only adjustment I am going to make next dive is to put 2 or 3 pounds on the top tank strap to dive me a bit better heads down positioning for photography.

Yes, I think I'm overweighted too. I started with the rule of thumb of 10% of your weight + 10, and I should start experimenting on the next dive at the bottom, by handing some weight off to my buddy to see the minimum weight I need to stay under. Is there a better way to find out the optimum weight one should carry?

mavjax:
I found the front pocket will hold 2 or 3 pounds easily but it is much better suited for stuff. In terms of getting it centered if you play with the adjustable cumberbund you should be able to get it there. Just remember to re-adjust the positioning of the back pockets because they will not bne balanced.

I did try to re-adjust the positioning of the backpockets, and to get the front pocket centered, the backpockets would have to go more forward, meaning they have less velcro attachment to the jacket, which I wasnt comfortable with.

mavjax:
I know what your talking about.... except I found that the problem went away after about 10-15 dives. I'm chalking it up to techntique and experience. Also., make sure the hose is NOT being held by the velcroed loop on the shoulder as you loose about 4 inches of hose when trying to hold it vertical.

Yeah, that makes sense, but don't you think they should've made the hose longer so we wouldn't have to resort to not using the loop?

mavjax:
We actually practice this skill with the kids. The approach we use is hold the hose in your right hand, and then grab the release in your left, one quick pull and it's done.

If the inflator button is stuck, my 1st instinct is to grab the dump button with my left hand so I can dump air as quick as possible. In your scenario, I would have to switch hands after that to disconnect.

mavjax:
I have dove with as much as 6 in each pocket and they still need a good pull underwater to release.

I'm still not too comfortable with the design here. I'm still a newbie but there's a whole debate about the integrated weight designs accidentally dropping vs. the good ol' weight belt.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to trash the Orion. And I understand that I only dove it once, and I'm sure I'd get used to the BC if I dove it more, but the ergonomics of the inflator hose and the whole way they've designed the weight system just didn't work well with me, whereas it may be a good fit for someone else. I guess for their top-of-the-line, I expected it to work well from Day 1 like the LDS rental BCs have for me. But I'm glad the Orion works well for you and others.

BTW, with that said, I now have a Medium Orion for sale, only dove once. I can't exchange it for a larger Orion without incurring a hefty restocking fee+shipping, so if there are any takers, PM me for an exclusive discount! :eyebrow:

I'm another new diver with an Orion. I got it in the water for the first time this weekend, when I did my open water cert dives. I almost used my rental jacket-style BC instead because I was worried about doing my skills tests with unfamiliar equipment. In the end I used the Orion and everything was fine. It was way more stable than the rental, both on the surface and at depth.

The one problem I had was with submerging the first 5 feet or so. I'm not sure if I'm not getting all of the air out of the bladder, but I keep getting stuck with the top of my head right at the surface. At the bottom I had no trouble maintaining buoyancy. I'm a big guy (6'6", 255 lbs) and, with a 7mm wetsuit, I'm using 32 lbs. I've got 8 lbs in each removable pocket, 6 lbs in each fixed pocket, and 4 lbs in pouches added to the top tank straps. I could probably drop 2 lbs, but I'd never get under.

It just occurred to me that there might be a little air trapped by the kink in the inflator hose. I'll have to try it without the velcro.

I agree with guymenton that the weight pockets could be better designed. I'm not too worried about the ditchable pockets (at least not until the velcro gets worn), but the fixed pockets are a pain in the neck. The attachment method isn't hefty enough to keep the weights stable and secure. I think I'm going to have to do a little re-engineering on those fixed pockets.

Also, if I have the BC off with all of the weight in place, the cummerbund velcro pulls apart. The straps behind the velcro keep everything from falling apart, but it's a nuisance. I've been pulling the ditchable weights out when I take it off. That also gets the overall weight down to something I can put on by myself without getting a hernia.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the Orion. It's sturdy and stable. It's not my dream BC, but it's the one I could afford right now and it does a good job.

Well here's my .02 cents. I have quite a few dives on my Orion, and have experianced some of the issues some of you have encountered. Just so you get an idea of how and what I dive 205 lbs, 7mm suit, cold dark lakes. I noticed the inflator hose doesn't dump air easily from either end, I no longer use the velcro loop supplied I added another further up. I originally just let it flop around but didn't feel comfortable when it wasn't there right when I wanted it. I also found that if I leaned back a little while deflating the hose it seems to help. The other thing I did was remove the cushy back plate as I found it added to me being positive and I had to add weight to compensate. With 2 layers of 7mm neoprene I don't feel the difference. I keep 8lbs in each ditchable and 4lbs in each non-ditchable in single layer and add a 5lbs to the tank when I dive with the vest over my one piece.

I guess like Scot M I would have to say its not my dream BC but it was a low cost way of getting a back-inflate BC and eventually I'll probably go to a BP/W. If the infator hose worked better I would be happier. Oh and if Triple-L made a smaller wing/bladder like a 35# it would probably function better with a single.

By the way Scot M I've noticed the more I use it, the easier it gets to deflate, I'm not sure if the wing is getting more supple or I'm just getting used to it. :06:

Just to echo and expand on some of the comments:

I dive with 30 lbs of wt. (salt) - I'm 5-11, 285 lbs, 3mm full/shorty.

I found that I'm much more comfortable (not just with the Orion) putting some weight on the BCD and some on a std weight belt.

I put 8 lbs in each droppable pocket (soft weights). Haven't had any issues with the closure.

The hose does need to be outside of the loop on the left sholder. I also has some early difficulties with bladder deflation, got easier quickly (I kinda do a sholder roll to get the left valve in the most upright position - wonder if this is a general characteristic of BP/W style BCD's?).

I don't put more than 4 lbs in the non-ditchable weight pockets - actually I moved one to the tank strap to get better balance.

As far as service, I don't actually know - I purchased some additional weight pockets and tank straps (for doubles, later). At the pricing, I'd probably just replace anything that needed it. Bladders can be patched, if you want to risk it - for $90, I'd buy new. Most of the "stuff" on the BCD is webbing and velcro, easily replacable. As far as the inflator - you probably could get parts, but at $50 - its easily replaceable also.

AND I'll grant you, this is probably not as "slick" as some of the other BCD's (yes, I really would like the Zeagle...) but....

Charlie

NCDiver2004:
AND I'll grant you, this is probably not as "slick" as some of the other BCD's (yes, I really would like the Zeagle...) but....

Charlie

Well I have an older Zeagle (1996 model) so it has little in the way of bells and whistles. I do have an Orion coming in from Tom. He sold me his (only 1 dive on it). Hope to have it soon, as I'm ready to get it wet! :)

Charley

I'm glad to hear that the deflation problem gets better over time. Whether it's the bladder relaxing or just experience doesn't matter.

The more I think about it, the more sure I am that I'm catching a big ol' bubble in the inflator hose. I was tending to lean forward, not back like Rob suggested, so I'll try the other way. I'm not wild about just letting the hose flop around, so I hope I can clear the bubble with body position alone.

As for the fixed weight pockets, if I could get down to a single plate in each one, I think it would work better. I'll have to see if I can cram a single 5 pounder in there in place of the two 3's I have now.

I also bought a 2XL 7mm wetsuit from Triple-L. It's decent quality, especially for the price.

I should have paid more attention to the sizing charts. I am a couple of inches and a couple of pounds outside the specified range. I figured I could live with it, since it's the same for my rental wetsuit. Not a chance! I'd return it and get a custom one, but the $35 restocking fee plus shipping almost equals the purchase price. Luckily for me, one of the guys from my OW class is interested in it.

Scot M:
... I'm not wild about just letting the hose flop around, ....

I alway put it back into the loop after my decent has started and I know the air is all out, otherwise it can be hard to find it and a pain as it flops around.

... we are talking about the inflator hose... right???? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom