Triple-L BC's and Products in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vikingok:
If you had read the board you would know that this has been a problem for some with the orin BC. Why dont you read the hole board some time so you dont have to make drunk coments.
Vikinkok.
I'm relatively new to this board and didn't see comments about the Orion before I bought it. Excuuuuse me.

Next time I'll read every message ever posted here so as not to get accused of making "drunk coments" (sic) by Vikinkok.

Sheesh what an A hole

Tried out the large Orion harnesss today. Much better than the medium. My initial trim was a bit off, because I wasn't using my tank, and 5lbs weights were in each back pocket.

I'd suggest to people that they get the large. I have a 32" waist, and the waist on the large size is a little too big, but that is easier to deal with than not being able to trim properly.

It was a much more comfortable dive with the large size, but I've got to get a crouch strap, I did a head stand looking under a ledge, and the BC moved too much for my liking, though there was no danger to it falling off, just balance issues.

Xanthro

I am a new diver (cert. 2003) with a small piggy bank. I've been looking at BCD's now for some time, and the one I really like is Seaquest's Diva LX, but there is no way i can afford it. Just today I got information about this new online store called Triple L International and the prices are truly unbelievable. They carry a women's BCD called "Women's ISIS" and wondered if anyone had ever heard of it or even tried it. I was reading this post and was truly facinated, but I would really appreciate a women's viewpoint about the BCD's from this manufacturer. If anyone out there can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Oh, I did post this under the women's section too. Thanks! PS FYI - and I just tried a back plate and wings and couldn't stand it, so if anyone has any cheap suggestions out there, they are greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Well, first off, I'm a newbie diver - used a traditional Dacor in OW classes, but switched to an Orion at the end of OW- so, that said, here’s MHO:

Construction quality: Excellent - my only negative here is the straps on the wings are a little short (this possibly may vary) so threading them back through is difficult. Had a small prob with the upper strap pulling loose, but have FIXED this issue with the addition of locking weight retainers - suckers won't come loose now!

Balance: Have to echo previous comments - it’s very important to get your buoyancy correct – like a lot of new divers, I tended to over weight – which caused the “face in the water” syndrome. Pulled off 6 lbs, inflate just enough at surface for positive – much better position. Underwater (who likes staying on the surface anyway?) – VERY easy to trim to horizontal position. Like others, I tend to load more on the back side (moved some droppable weight to rear of weight belt – I also agree 8 lbs is effective max for front pouches).

Comfort – great – with all the adjustments, you can tailor the fit very well. I am adding a crotch strap, as mentioned, it’s already D-ringed for it.

Inflation/Deflation – generally no issues, one you get used to using the bottom dump valves OR going vertical and dumping from inflator hose.

After 15 dives, mixed fresh and salt, the BCD looks only a little used, and I’m more confident every dunk.

BTW, did several dives in the keys over the 4th with my brother buddy, who uses a Zeagle Ranger – Great BCD, but he was somewhat awed over the Orion’s features, construction and especially its price.

From what I heard so far, I had a lot of high hopes for the TripleL Orion, but alas, IMHO, its the case again of you really get what you pay for.

Before I give my opinion of the Orion, here's my background. I'm newly certified NAUI O/W, averaging 2 dives a weekend since, and I've got my BC skills under control. Been renting Medium size Tusa BCs from the LDS, and was looking for something of similar or better quality and fit, that wouldn't break the piggy bank. I'm slim (5'8" and 130lbs), so I chose the Medium size. Xanthro posted warnings about overweighting, since it only has 3 weight pockets. I dive 22lbs with 7mm suit, and their online rep assured me each pocket can take 9lbs. OK, cool, ordered it and here's what I think:

The Good:

As mentioned before, the overall construction seems very durable, and plenty of steel D-rings everywhere!

The Bad (for me):

The rep must have been misinformed or not totally knowledgeable of the product. The manual says the side pockets hold 8.8lbs, and the front pocket holds 3.3lbs. I would hesitate to put weights in the front pocket. It is little more than a flap of a pocket sewed unto the cumberband with some velcro on the bottom to keep it from flapping. More for holding LIGHT things than weights. Plus unless you can get the cumberband all the way across your stomach to the other side, the front pocket isn't even centered on your body (which isn't good for even weight distribution). I ended up not putting any weight there, and threading some 2lb bullet weights through the bladder straps for trim in the back.

I dived it this morning, and I had a lot of trouble dumping air from the inflator. For one, the inflator hose is a lot shorter than the ones on the rentals I've used. Therefore, I had a hard time moving it above my shoulder to vent air. In a vertical position sometimes, I had to move it all the way past my shoulder, angled backwards, before air would start to vent. The shape of the inflator itself feels awkward and unnatural to me. I noticed the air hose connects on the outer side of the inflator hose, whereas it's connected on the inner side on the rental BCs. I don't know if this is the reason why the inflator feels weirdly shaped to me, but at the very least, in a situation where you have to disconnect the air from the inflator (like in a stuck inflator situation), it seems it would be more difficult to disconnect the air valve when it is on the outer side like this.

The droppable side weight pocket design seems too simple and flimsy, with basically the tab of the weight pouch velcroed to the outside of the pocket it's sitting in. I don't know...just seems like an accidental weight-drop waiting to happen. And the weight pouches are tiny...when they say 8.8lbs, they really mean it! I could barely get a 5lb and a 4lb leadbag in there.

Overall:

Even though it's constructed well, I think the design of it is very poor for what they advertise as one of their top-of-the-line BCs for the serious diver. There's nothing special on this BC, and it doesn't even come close to the Tusa rentals I've been using (which being rentals, aren't even top-of-the-line themselves).

Believe me, I really wanted to like this BC and was so excited when I got it, and couldn't wait to try it out. Heck, I was born in Vietnam, so naturally, a part of me wanted to see a well-made product coming from my birthplace! :eyebrow: But alas, I have to be honest. It may be right for other divers, but I would not dive with the Orion again.

Has anyone tried the Pagasus model?
Thanks - Eric

DSR-3:
Has anyone tried the Pagasus model?
Thanks - Eric
Have not tried the Pagasus, but I believe it is similar to the Stratos which my son loves.

Guy, A few questions and comments for you. I've now dove the Orion on 30 dives ... of my total of 30 dives.

guymenton:
I'm slim (5'8" and 130lbs), so I chose the Medium size. Xanthro posted warnings about overweighting, since it only has 3 weight pockets. I dive 22lbs with 7mm suit
You might want to look at your weighting. When I started I was using a ton of lead 22-24 pounds with 3mm suit) and had some of the problems you described. I'm 225 pounds, and this weekend I was diving a 5mm suit and using 10lbs. The only adjustment I am going to make next dive is to put 2 or 3 pounds on the top tank strap to dive me a bit better heads down positioning for photography.

guymenton:
I would hesitate to put weights in the front pocket. It is little more than a flap of a pocket sewed unto the cumberband with some velcro on the bottom to keep it from flapping. More for holding LIGHT things than weights. Plus unless you can get the cumberband all the way across your stomach to the other side, the front pocket isn't even centered on your body (which isn't good for even weight distribution).
I found the front pocket will hold 2 or 3 pounds easily but it is much better suited for stuff. In terms of getting it centered if you play with the adjustable cumberbund you should be able to get it there. Just remember to re-adjust the positioning of the back pockets because they will not bne balanced.

guymenton:
I dived it this morning, and I had a lot of trouble dumping air from the inflator. For one, the inflator hose is a lot shorter than the ones on the rentals I've used. Therefore, I had a hard time moving it above my shoulder to vent air. In a vertical position sometimes, I had to move it all the way past my shoulder, angled backwards, before air would start to vent.
I know what your talking about.... except I found that the problem went away after about 10-15 dives. I'm chalking it up to techntique and experience. Also., make sure the hose is NOT being held by the velcroed loop on the shoulder as you loose about 4 inches of hose when trying to hold it vertical.

guymenton:
The shape of the inflator itself feels awkward and unnatural to me. I noticed the air hose connects on the outer side of the inflator hose, whereas it's connected on the inner side on the rental BCs. I don't know if this is the reason why the inflator feels weirdly shaped to me, but at the very least, in a situation where you have to disconnect the air from the inflator (like in a stuck inflator situation), it seems it would be more difficult to disconnect the air valve when it is on the outer side like this.
We actually practice this skill with the kids. The approach we use is hold the hose in your right hand, and then grab the release in your left, one quick pull and it's done.

guymenton:
The droppable side weight pocket design seems too simple and flimsy, with basically the tab of the weight pouch velcroed to the outside of the pocket it's sitting in.
I have dove with as much as 6 in each pocket and they still need a good pull underwater to release.

mavjax:
Have not tried the Pagasus, but I believe it is similar to the Stratos which my son loves.
My daughter has a Pegasus. She has 2 dives on it, and really seems to like it. It's her first back-inflate bc, and she has commented on how easy it is to stay horizontal underwater. The pics of it on the Triple-L website don't do it justice. If you'd like to see some, let me know and I'll post a few.

My friend bought a 7mm wetsuit from Triple-L and I must say it is a high quality suit for a rock bottom low price. It was on his door in 4 days, and thats to Canada. Total cost was under $100CND including shipping. A comparable suit would have cost him $300+ here after taxes.

I would not hesitate to buy from these guys.

Back
Top Bottom