Trip Report: Turks & Caicos Explorer II, June-July 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. Stan is an institution. Just ask the crew. Same menu EVERY week. Week after week after week. Cook not chef. Stan does not like change...

On a recent T&C trip we had a substitute chef. Both the divers and the crew were very happy. Finally interesting food.

Jerry on the Belize Aggressor IV consistently provides the best Caribbean LOB food.

Every crew on every liveaboard and day trip that includes a lunch, that I've been on complains about "same old, same old" and are really happy if there's the slightest change. I completely understand that.

I've only been aboard T&C EV once and very much enjoyed Stan's meals. I'm not a "foodie" though so was just pleased to find it edible let alone tasty (which it was, tasty and satisfying).

I've been on other liveaboards that relied far too heavily on pasta and became bored with that fairly quickly but those were minimum 10 day trips.

This thread has me really considering a return. Perhaps I'll take advantage of the special they're running now.

Fantastic report ! Your description of French Cay is dead on perfect ! Was there in June, and share the same sentiments. It is/was arguably the one of my best dives ever, as well. iI's what a dive and dive site should be. I'm still working on my trip report, but it would pretty much read just as similar as yours. We dove with Dive Provo and hit a lot of the same sites. Great land based Dive Op. Thanks for your trip report !!!

I'm scheduled to make the same trip with EV in November.
This will only be my fourth liveaboard, so I consider myself very much a novice.
I read this detailed report with great interest, and appreciation.
I now feel well informed about what to expect, and can plan effectively.

I was very happy to hear that no shark feeding takes place,
and sharks are encountered naturally without artificial methods.

Thank you @Ironborn.

K.

I'm scheduled to make the same trip with EV in November.
This will only be my fourth liveaboard, so I consider myself very much a novice.
I read this detailed report with great interest, and appreciation.
I now feel well informed about what to expect, and can plan effectively.

I was very happy to hear that no shark feeding takes place,
and sharks are encountered naturally without artificial methods.

Thank you @Ironborn.

K.

@kablooey Thank you for the positive feedback.

One suggestion: if you have already made your reservation, consider whether or not you want to request a larger-capacity aluminum 100 tank. There is only a finite amount of them, so if you want to ensure that you have one, it might be worth asking sooner rather than later. Even if your gas consumption is normally good, the greater average depths on this trip will increase it, so it might be worth having the extra gas if you are comfortable with the larger tank. There is no extra charge for the aluminum 100s.

Also, if you plan to do any night dives, they do require a tank strobe for those dives. If you have one, bring it, but you can also get one on board for $13.

One suggestion: if you have already made your reservation, consider whether or not you want to request a larger-capacity aluminum 100 tank. There is only a finite amount of them, so if you want to ensure that you have one, it might be worth asking sooner rather than later. Even if your gas consumption is normally good, the greater average depths on this trip will increase it, so it might be worth having the extra gas if you are comfortable with the larger tank. There is no extra charge for the aluminum 100s.

Also, if you plan to do any night dives, they do require a tank strobe for those dives. If you have one, bring it, but you can also get one on board for $13.
Great feedback!

Tank strobes? Or tank lights?

Most often we have seen no strobes allowed on divers. Strobes are for the boat. Max of 3, min of 1.

@Ironborn Most of the other respondents have echoed my thoughts about your trip report - FANTASTIC! it's especially useful for me since I recently booked a last-minute deal aboard the TCEX2, and will be sailing in 11 days. Now more excited than ever. Your diving history and future aspirations are similar to mine so I appreciated the comparisons to Coz and Grand Cayman.

Good suggestion about the AL100s. I'm normally pretty good on gas, but every little bit helps, especially with the higher average depths. However, consumption could be offset somewhat as there seem to be little in the way of currents to fight, as opposed to my last Coz trip :) I'm pretty sure my boat will be full (I believe I grabbed the last spot) so the AL100s could be reserved already anyway.

Thanks again for the insights.

Great trip report!
I traveled on the T&C EX2 at the end of July for the 2nd time and had a fantastic trip. I was typically the last one out of the water and it paid off. I was super lucky and had a 8-9ft Hammerhead swim by about 30ft beneath us while sitting at the safety stop with my buddy and the DM waiting for the boat to swing back. Definitely the highlight of my trip.

Does anyone know whether cell service is available on the T&C EX2? Not sure if the boat is close enough to shore. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom