Trip Report: Raja Ampat Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi bugeye,

Great trip report :eek:)

Me and my buddy are planning to go to Raja Ampat Dive Resort i July (Know it's not the absolutely best time but that's what fits best into our plans) We've tried to contact them through emails -but without luck (Have tried all 3 emails they have on their website).

Any suggestions to how we get in touch with them?

Not sure why the need to bring old post up.Just start new thread.Regarding Raja Ampat,going from Ambon is a great way of doing it.

You are supposed to get park tags when you are diving the park and these fees go to the Raja Ampat Park for maintaining and financing the protection of the area. Well all 17 of us on the boat paid our park fees and we were given some lame excuse as to why they didnt get the Raja Marine Park Tags.

That Xmas/NewYear trip was Ambon to Sorong. What most likely happened is the office in Sorong had the list of divers for your trip and the tags would be picked up by the crew at the office in Sorong when the ship arrived there.

I know we've had to chase down someone from the office to pick up the tags even when doing a Sorong - Sorong trip. Last trip we left the cruise director waiting for a lady to come by motorbike to open the office and give him the tags. If you had been stopped in the area, they would have needed to check diver passports against the list in Sorong to be sure you all were in the paperwork.

Paul, first off I get pretty suspisious of people who only have a few posts on the board and then write a super scathing report on an operation. SO I really hope you are being genuine. It would be good if you added some of the good stuff as well as the bad. Makes you sound less vindictive. Unless thats what you are going for.

If you are genuine, then it sounds like you had a pretty rough trip. Which really sucks because a trip like that is something you dream about for months and months! Sorry to hear it. I have heard another similar report about the Ondina so your report would be the second.

We had an absolutely amazing trip on the Indo Siren, couldn't sing their praises higher.

... we were given some lame excuse as to why they didnt get the Raja Marine Park Tags. It is law to get the tags and dive with them in case the authorities check, and with the tags one gets a receipt from the Raja Ampat Parks offices. Well we got none of that and this tells me that the owners pocketed the 2,000Euro's.

Unfounded accusation.

I checked with the ship's manager in Bali. They are were already mailing tags to anyone that requested them. The tags would be picked up from the office (when it opens) after the ship arrived in Sorong following their cruise from Ambon - as usual for a one-way route ending in Sorong. The paper (original with all names and passport numbers) would be carried by the ship in case it was stopped and checked for tags.

Also checking with other guests on the same trip - one already booked Ondina for July, so ?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I was also on MV Ondina during the same trip as Paul. I wasn't intending on writing up a report but there have been a few requests for a second view from folks reading Paul's report so I'll give a brief account of the trip ... for anyone who is reading this it is not related to Raja Ampat Dive Resort (the original review at the top of the thread).

Firstly - to clear up any doubts over whether Paul is being genuine I can confirm that despite not having many posts on this board he is a genuine diver (not another boat throwing dirt around or anything to be suspicious about). He's a nice bloke that got along well with everyone on the boat including all of our group and I'd be more than happy to catch up for a beer with him if he's in Singapore.

My view is as follows:
The good:
- The tour leader and DM's (Abraham and Ella) were both fantastic, knew every dive site, the currents, gave every diver the right amount of space, got along well with all of the guests. I would rank them as among the best of all the dive trips I've done.
- The diving was brilliant. We saw manta's every day on many sites. Raja Ampat at its absolute best ACD Dive Safari - Ambon to Raja Ampat - YouTube
- The food (I'm non-Veg) was great
- The other guests were all great and everyone got along very well together (I know it's the luck of the draw ... but maybe also sometimes different types of trips attract different types of guests)
- The boat was clean (I didn't see any rats or cockroaches). Don't take this lightly - a friend who took a different boat last year complained of rats that bit through the plastic on a divers mask!

The bad:
- We had some really rough weather for 2 days between Ambon and Raja Ampat. This is bad luck and obviously nothing to do with the boat
- The boat leaked and a few rooms were flooded. No big deal for me - it took some really bad weather to make this happen and in the worst case I guess you spend the night on a couch in the dining room, enjoy your diving the next day and then have a good nights sleep. I think this only happened in 1-2 cabins one night and I didn't really hear anyone complain too much.
- There were problems with the compressors (this is where it starts to get serious). One diver aborted a dive because his air tasted "burnt", we checked our first stages and all had black carbon showing in the filters of freshly serviced regs. The crew took this very seriously - emptied all of the tanks, changed the filters and seemed to fix things up
- Both of the compressors then broke. We missed 1 days diving while the crew were able to borrow a brand new compressor from a nearby resort very bad luck (or maintenance) that both compressors broke. very good relationships based on positive previous experienced that allowed them to borrow a brand new one from another operator. This is obviously serious but I can't imagine it would happen again.
- There was some miscommunication regarding the marine park tags. This has since been cleared up.

All in all I had a wonderful trip and despite some problems don't feel I need to warn people against travelling on MV Ondina.

Back
Top Bottom