Trip Report: Raja Ampat Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMY Ondina, one can only attempt to be as noble as possible about aiming to protect this wonderful species...however when mass tourism and money talks via unnatural alteration of their behaviour through controlled feeding of these whalesharks then before you know it incidents will start to occur. I shudder to think of the hundreds of divers flocking to Cenderawasih and such actions as I have already indicated previously about such practices having negative consequences in Oslob where unnatural feeding practices are being mirrored.

Viral photos show problem in 'whale shark tourism'

Scuba and Snorkeling | Philippines

Last edited:
I can only say that I fully share your fears. Education is the one and only possibility for this living together between wild species and mankind as we continue growing in numbers. Can you imagine what can it be like when population reaches the 8 billion?, specially in southeast Asia and South America?. Many of those species will have to learn how to live in towns and man-transformed enviroments, like hawks, parrots, wildboards and many others are already doing.....amazingly I must say! I am sure you are right, incidents will happen, but only with regulations, protecting Natural Parks, and educating visitors and local populations, we will find our way together, most probably a "different way". There won't be hidden paradises where wild species will still be able to live "naturally in the wild": they will be parks and protected areas but you cannot put gates in the sea and thus permanent contact will happen and change behaviours. I have the strong believe that only through showing the beauty of Nature through great photos, amazing documentaries, controlled but closed contacts with wild animals are the only way for finding a place for them in the future to come. Think about the mountain gorillas, hadn't it be thanks to Sigourney Weaver film and the huge cash coming afterwards from tourists dying to see them, they would be already gone from earth surface. On the other hand how long time will take us all sea-lovers to wash out people's minds from the damage done by films like "Jaws" and alike! Let people dive with them, see them coming close with curiosity to you, see them swim gracefully, feel their power but at the same time end up feeling save at their side and we have a chance for sharks staying alive for future generations. That is the way I see it. At the end of the day, " You only love what you know", and sometimes we are such a silly species...........Lets keep on fighting enthusiastically. You know what?, when I show friends or audiences videos of wildlife in their wild enviroment they may like it or not be amused or not depending on their personal likings and interests, but when I show videos of those same animals together with divers, no need to be touching, feeding or interacting, just divers in the same scenes or footage, then people open their eyes and start paying real interest to what they are seeing and asking things about them.....curiosity leads to learning.......to knowing......to love it! What I said before, Gee13....What a topic!

This topic is "Trip Report: Raja Ampat Dive Resort".

I've learned that several divers have read this topic here on scubaboard and have gone to Raja Ampat expecting to dive with the whale sharks in Cenderawasih.

Any chance that the next person who posts to this thread could instead start a new one "Whale Shark Debate - Cenderawasih" or something? and then post here with the address of the new topic?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom