Trip Report: Raja Ampat Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bugeye

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Divers,

Since mentioning that I've just returned from a trip to Raja Ampat Dive Resort I've had several posts asking for feedback so thought I'd put together a quick report to try to answer most of the questions. This is my first report so please let me know if I miss any important details and I'll try to fill in the gaps.

Cost:

From what I could tell from my research I believe Raja Ampat Dive resort is the cheapest credible land based option. We did stop during one of our surface intervals at another very basic resort near Kri Island where we had a quick look around but from what I could see they didn’t have a proper set-up (dive guide but no DM, didn’t seem to have their own compressor, heard the divers complaining about no briefing etc).

While it’s the cheapest in Raja Ampat it’s still very expensive – the total cost of a 1 week dive trip from Singapore to Mozambique, Palau or Maldives would be less

I recommend seeking clarification up-front on the charges – especially fuel surcharge to Manta Point / The Passage and bring your e-mail for reference when settling the bill (Per boat is reasonable. Per diver is not)

Pricing is all in Euro and there is no credit card facility so you need to carry a lot of cash.

Prices are here http://www.rajaampatdiveresort.com/index.php?option=pricelist

Resort:

The resort is in a lovely quiet cove with a nice beach. They have left the jungle canopy in place above the huts so it’s nice and cool during the day and AC isn’t needed at night. There were surprisingly few mosquitoes.

Utilities are very basic – cold water only and the power only runs from around 5pm to 9am

The huts are very nice, clean and comfortable with typical basic ensuite bathrooms (a western toilet and bin for the paper)

Breakfast quality was basic/poor (eggs + pancakes cooked the night before) but lunch and dinner very good (local style chicken / fish + rice – not much variety)

I didn’t look at alternative activities but would guess there’s basically nothing for a non-diver to do except read a book on the beach

There isn’t any good snorkelling off the beach (I didn’t go to Kri Eco Resort but guess they must have good snorkelling given the quality of their house reef)

To get to the resort you take a 2hr public ferry (this is nice and clean / safe) from Sorong then 5 mins by dive boat. The dive resort will organise the transfer from Sorong. (for connection options to Sorong refer to the Kri Eco resort website)

Staff are very friendly

Diving:

The resort is located about 30 mins North by boat from Kri Island (where most of the northern Raja Ampat dive sites like Mike’s point, Chicken reef etc are located) or about 1 hour north from Manta point (where they want to charge a fuel surcharge – refer above). You’re therefore diving the same sites as if you stay at Kri Eco Resort. There is more than enough world class diving to keep you occupied for a week or two without needing to venture further away (I’d be interested to hear from liveaboard divers about what sites we missed by only diving close to Kri Island and Manta Point)

We were diving in a group of 5 (I believe max size is 6?) and had both a DM and Dive Guide who were both good (limited English but this wasn’t a problem for us even though none of us speak bahasa)

We were only interested in “big stuff” so can’t comment on how good the guide would have been at searching for macro

We didn’t dive with Arif who runs the dive centre and is an instructor but I feel confident speaking to him that he’d do a good job teaching a course (and his English is very good).

I felt they were quite safety conscious (warning us off diving Manta Hwy because of gnarly currents) – can anyone confirm this?

There is no nitrox at the dive centre but I didn’t feel it was necessary.

Typical day is 2 morning dives, return for lunch, 1 afternoon dive. I believe they do night dives as well but we didn’t try.

Season – I’m not sure about the off season but can vouch that from Christmas to New Year the diving was brilliant and water dead flat (I wish I’d bought my wakeboard)

Vis was “only” around 30m but it’s the plankton that bring the fish

Water temp was around 30 degrees (warmer than air temp) but I would recommend a full length wetsuit due to strong currents on some sites

We saw everything we wanted to see and more - I put together a quick video at YouTube - ACD dive Raja Ampat, Christmas 2010

Would I return? Absolutely – but I want to head to both Palau and Maldives first and would love to hear from Raja Ampat liveaboard divers on what sites I missed so I can decide whether to go for that option as something different next time.

Last edited:
We did stop during one of our surface intervals at another very basic resort near Kri Island where we had a quick look around but from what I could see they didn’t have a proper set-up (dive guide but no DM, didn’t seem to have their own compressor, heard the divers complaining about no briefing etc).
Did you happen to see this resort? This is very close to Kri Island as well.
Raja Ampat Dive Lodge Photo Gallery by Burt Jones & Maurine Shimlock

I think it is quite new and considerably more expensive than RA Dive Resort.

I've only recently come across the website.........it wasn't up last year when I was researching.

Best site on my liveaboard trip was Boo Island. Not sure where exactly that is in relation to your location.

30m vis was very good indeed. Most of my trip was much less.

Best site on my liveaboard trip was Boo Island. Not sure where exactly that is in relation to your location.

30m vis was very good indeed. Most of my trip was much less.

Boo Island looks great. According to this it's around 11hrs SW of Sorong. Must be a long way from Raja Ampat Dive resort which is around 2hrs NW of Sorong.

I didn't see any Octopuses during my dive in the Nth of Raja Ampat!

Diving in Raja Ampat - Boo Island

Boo Island looks great. According to this it's around 11hrs SW of Sorong. Must be a long way from Raja Ampat Dive resort which is around 2hrs NW of Sorong. [/url]

If you want to dive Boo from a land-based operation, your only option is Misool Eco Resort. In a straight line, it's about 100 miles from Sorong, but the boat ride is about 130 miles. Beautiful place, but costs like a liveaboard. So ... spring for the liveaboard, and you have access to a lot more of RA than the resort does.

Sorry, bugeye, we actually saw quite a few octopus. Pretty big ones and many times in pairs. I'm sure they are always there, we just don't notice them. I have great video of them changing textures and colors. They are beyond cool to me. When I saw them, I'd move away and just hover motionless close to the reef. They would slowly start coming out and putting their eye up to look around. Wait a little longer and they slowly come out and start swimming away. Then I slowly follow them, making no sudden movements towards them. They usually settle again and you can just stay motionless and film them. Then say thanks for another awesome encounter, and swim away...

There were some other very cool spots too I can't remember the name of. One place was a little rock sticking up. You make your way around and then up one side and it opens out on a ledge where you can watch all the action out in the current in front of you. Silversides all over, mackeral coming by, the blue and yellow fish whose name escapes me at the moment, etc, etc. Then the last dive of the trip where we were told about and actually found a baby wobbegong, and a little tiny frilled pipefish (not its name) that looked like just a piece of debris, as well as many nudi's, and a rock just filled with shrimp and the little red crabs, with about 10 lionfish and scorpionfish just hanging around everywhere, and the sun was shining beautifully through the water, and perfectly on the coral heads. I was last up after 70 minutes and I could have stayed forever. RA is incredible. I've got to finish my video...

Great report!....I've been going to Sorido resort on Kri Island the last few years and just booked my trip for this year....some of the best diving in the world!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom