Trip Report: Puerto Galera w/ Asia Divers/El Galleon Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

xariatay: I'm using a G10.

cim: Prior to PG, we spent 2 days in Manila to see my family and friends. We had our own driver take us to Batangas Pier, but I wouldn't do that next time since it cost me a lot of money. (Since the person who let us borrow a driver was a family friend, I ended up giving more money than I would have to a stranger!) From Manila, it took 1 hour and 45 minutes to the pier. From the pier, (we took FSL ferry), it took an hour boat ride to get to Sabang.

As for the weather, it was nice from Nov. 15-18, but it rained on and off on our last day there. We're in Bohol (Alona Beach, Panglao) right now. It rained pretty hard on the boat yesterday but who cares if you're diving, right? :wink:

Also came back from overnight trip to Sabang yesterday to try out prior to a longer stay over the holidays. As a regular Anilao diver, I was very amazed: 25-30 meters visibility and dive only 5 minutes from the beach of Sabang! If any of you guys plan to go there, I would definitely recommend Sea Riders. visit them at www.searidersdivecenter.com , the service of owner Mark Narvacan is par excellence. His speedboat picked us up right after our ferry landed and 5 minutes away we were at his dive shop. will be writing up a travel report soon on this.

Nice report and great shots :) I also dived with Asia Divers and stayed at El Galleon in 2007. I agree with you. Nicer vibe than at the other end of the beach :)

Nice pics. Planning a trip there this week.

Nice report and great shots :) I also dived with Asia Divers and stayed at El Galleon in 2007. I agree with you. Nicer vibe than at the other end of the beach :)

Definitely.

For people who are planning trips in PG: The dive shops on Sabang looked smaller. I'm not sure how their setup works, but at Asia Divers, once you set up your gear, they put it on the boat, you walk on the dock (don't have to worry about sand crap all over you), get on the boat, and go diving. Sites are within a 5-10 minute ride. THEN, what I appreciated the most and am currently missing here on Alona Beach in Panglao, Bohol, is after you dive, you take your stuff off, rinse/hang it real quick on the upper level of their shop, shower with *hot* water, get a fresh towel and dry off, and relax until your next dive.

We're currently diving with Bohol Fun Divers and the reason why I'm making the above setup sound so nice is because here, the facilities are crammed. Had to fight my way in between a big group of Japanese divers to rinse my gear, and their showers are horrible. (even in our room) It's not a shower, it's like "ambon" in Tagalog or a dog taking a leak on you. It also doesn't get hot until after 5 minutes. That wasn't cool yesterday when it rained hard on the boat from Balicasag Island and everyone was shivering. When my boyfriend asked for a towel, the lady looked perplexed, like "what? you're a diver, stay wet forever!" I'll post a separate report on Bohol when it's over...

I'm here right now in PG, sitting at the El Galleon restaurant bar and using their Wi-Fi (and getting ready to head up to the Point Bar:D ). Great pictures! Looking forward to our first dives tomorrow with Tech Asia (Asia Divers' technical diving ops --renting a Gavin Scooter, double AL80's with 20/20 mix and a AL40 of eanx50, going to 45m depth for 20min over at Verde Island Drop-off/Wall).

I'm here right now in PG, sitting at the El Galleon restaurant bar and using their Wi-Fi (and getting ready to head up to the Point Bar:D ). Great pictures! Looking forward to our first dives tomorrow with Tech Asia (Asia Divers' technical diving ops --renting a Gavin Scooter, dbl AL80's with 21/25 mix and a AL40 of eanx50, going to 45m depth for 20min).

Have fun! I don't know who the tech diveguides there are, but everyone was great and very knowledgeable. (esp Jamie when it comes to identifying stuff/giving a good briefing)

From the international airport in Manila, how did you get to Puerto Galera? Any problems with typhoons while you were there?

Puerto Galera is a 2 hour drive and a 45 min. boat ride from Manila.
I normally take the bus, others take private for-hire car. Try to take the boat to Sabang Beach. Puerto Galera is a bit away. Ther are accomodations, but the most dive resorts and dive shops are in Sabang, and nearby Little, and Big LaLaguna Beach's.
A few selections:
Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers Vacation in the Philippines Scuba Diving in the Philippines, Diving in the Philippines Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive VIP Resort Diving Philippines - Atlantis Dive Resorts, Dumaguete and Puerto Galera, Philippines

sounds good to me, we are looking to book a trip in the upcoming weeks. What was the water temp?
I read 26 -27deg C at 18m; I'm using a 1mil full suit with a 2mil hooded-vest for only two deep tech dives a day. If you're going to do three or more dives per day, I would recommend a 5/3 full suit. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom