Trip Report Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@miserkris
To get the ferry/shuttle with ease.
Spend the first night in Manila and then catch the Si-Kat transfer.
The picture is White Beach which is quite a distance from PG.
There are many mid range hotels along Mabini Street if you do not want to stay at City State Tower Hotel.

The ferry schedule from Batangas to PG(Balatero) is the main issue.
Returning is far more easier as long as your flight leaves at late afternoon.
Just remember the private return is about US$550.00 for one person unless you have others to share the cost.

I was shopping flights in google for MNL and suddenly realized that I need to ask this shuttle question before booking:

Found some that arrive at eg :
10:05 PM+1Ninoy Aquino International Airport (MNL)

For the 3 hr shuttle ride + Ferry to PG...are there cut off limits when last ride/ferry is at a set time ?
Same question for leaving PG to MNL, when is the earliest I can board Ferry/shuttle after Galleon hotel checkout?

When should I arrive at MNL (day time range) to get the shuttle/ferry with ease? That's more tricky than leaving PG for ferry/shuttle to MNL I think.

Thx!
Sent you a private message.

Guys, I am also an aviation fanatic and badly wanted to fly Cathay ! So I found a deal from Philly !
Will arrive MNL Oct30 early like 2 AM. On return I have a 21 hr layover in Hong kong on Nov6.

With US passport I guess I can venture out easily in HK and eat yummy HK food , stay in a hotel overnight ?
pls advice ...do I need visa? Is it easy to go out in HK just to eat ?! iterinary below:

@miserkris
CX uses T3 which is a lot better than T1 and T2. There should be couple of money exchangers and fast food places still open at your time of arrival.
There are two types of taxi available outside the arrival hall: Yellow(airport, more expensive) and White(ordinary). The White one is on the right as you exit the hall. If you are using private then it does not concern you. But if you are using Si-Kat or public bus then the fare to City State Tower or Buendia Bus Terminal should cost around P350.00.
You also need to check if you can make it to the airport on your departure from PG. The 12:35 departure is the issue as the first ferry is at 06:00.

If the schedule is correct.

You need to check if your ticket allow you to leave the terminal.
No visa require for US passport holder.
Airport Bus and Train are there to serve you. Forget about taxi unless you want it.
Hotel is expensive and more so for "walk-in" so plan ahead.
Stay at Wan Chai(A11 airport bus)and you would have no problem to find good food and watering hole. Stay away from certain bars!!!! Causeway Way is just couple more stops down the road.
Alternatively stay at Mong Kok(A21 airport bus) to sample HK. Plenty of cheap local food.

Have fun.

12:35 departure is the issue as the first ferry is at 06:00.

Thx...
Why is this an issue...4 hr total ferry and cab let's me in MNL at 10 am .
Is it a big risk of missing flight at 12.30 pm?

Have people done that or Should I stay overnight previous day in MNL airport hotel?

Thx...
Why is this an issue...4 hr total ferry and cab let's me in MNL at 10 am .
Is it a big risk of missing flight at 12.30 pm?

Have people done that or Should I stay overnight previous day in MNL airport hotel?
Risk?
If everything is align perfectly then..... otherwise.
Since you won't be diving on your last day at PG so why take any unnecessary risk at all.

T3 is just across the road.

@miserkris
Budget conscious!! Welcome to Philippines.
PG is a very good choice for a first time scuba visitor to SE Asia.. Various type of accommodation to suit your budget(US$20.00 up).

Koh Tao in the East coast of Thailand is the other place that can offer really budget diving but the quality is definitely inferior to PG.
Great food in Thailand.

Galleon is offering me budget room at $50 a day for 7 nights. Unlimited diving $100 daily for 5 days. Reg bcd rental $18 Daily. Is this reasonably cheap? I was expecting cheaper actually for budget diving lol... Since I'm noticing rooms for $30 in PG online!

Galleon is offering me budget room at $50 a day for 7 nights. Unlimited diving $100 daily for 5 days. Reg bcd rental $18 Daily. Is this reasonably cheap? I was expecting cheaper actually for budget diving lol... Since I'm noticing rooms for $30 in PG online!
1. $50.00 per night is NOT cheap by PG standard because you can get room even less than $30.00. But you need to consider many factors ie. facility, location, safety etc etc.
2. $100.00 for unlimited diving is NOT bad at all but you have to ask for fine detail.

El Galleon + Asia Divers are reputable operator and you will be well taken care of.

Hello.
Since I'm going to galleon in 2 months...
Wonder if I can get nitrox certification there. Is that a good idea? I'm PADI OW AIR certified...70 +dives. Checked their site... Says $252 .

Some places offer this by eLearning right? Can I get certified elsewhere by paying less?!

Please advise...I wanted nitrox and this might be the best option.
Kris

@miserkris
I did the course over 20yrs ago and in those days two dives were included. But situation has changed so much that dive is NO longer required. I really do not see any reason to pay $252.00 for such a course.
E-Learning will do, check with your local PADI operator to see if you can complete the course with them.
You can also do the course with other operator while over in PG.

The course is useful but need good gas consumption to benefit from it.

Back
Top Bottom