Trip Report Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Trailboss123
Hi...
I saw your YouTube they're nice! Your suggestions for Cozumel were great in 2019. THX for that.

Thinking about PG this year in philippines. Might go with exact op as in this thread for ease...

What's best time of year for PG? Do you know if things have changed with respect to vaccines, flights... any restrictions? I'm a US citizen...

I never dived in asia.. Indo pacific.
Thanks for the kind words. I am headed back myself this next November for 2 weeks. I will be in Puerto Galera for 1 week and then Dumaguete for 1 week. At this time, you must be vaccinated to enter the Philippines and show proof thereof. As for best time to go/weather and if considering using a travel agent for booking your trip, Bluewater Travel is a great resource and who I used to book my trip. I can highly recommend them: Puerto Galera

@miserkris

This is the latest entry requirement. It could be changed in short notice so pay close attention to it

SE Asia offers very good diving especially the "Coral Triangle".
PAL is probably the only airline that will fly from JFK, LAX and SFO non stop to Manila. It also has non stop flight from YVR and YYZ in Canada if that is any help to you.
The only restriction is 30 days visa free entry. You can apply for longer stay but need to do it through the Embassy in US(in your case). Of course you can extend it in Philippines as long as you are not in any remote places where access to the nearer Immigration Department is difficult.
The private transfer from Manila to PG is very expensive by local standard.

Why don't you tack along with @Trailboss123 in Nov. for the first part(PG) and then off to Anilao on your own afterward? Anilao is just across the channel from PG, well known for macro(assuming you like it).
You might want to come back to this part of the world for more diving.

@miserkris

This is the latest entry requirement. It could be changed in short notice so pay close attention to it

SE Asia offers very good diving especially the "Coral Triangle".
PAL is probably the only airline that will fly from JFK, LAX and SFO non stop to Manila. It also has non stop flight from YVR and YYZ in Canada if that is any help to you.
The only restriction is 30 days visa free entry. You can apply for longer stay but need to do it through the Embassy in US(in your case). Of course you can extend it in Philippines as long as you are not in any remote places where access to the nearer Immigration Department is difficult.
The private transfer from Manila to PG is very expensive by local standard.

Why don't you tack along with @Trailboss123 in Nov. for the first part(PG) and then off to Anilao on your own afterward? Anilao is just across the channel from PG, well known for macro(assuming you like it).
You might want to come back to this part of the world for more diving.
Thx Centrals.
Funny you mentioned..I was thinking about the same thing to go with trailboss! Lol.

I'm debating starting a new thread as to which is better Anilao or PG...or indo.
I just dived OAHU and it was rough...I couldn't enjoy much since I was battling the current. Big island scuba was better imo. Anyways.. What I really want is mostly calm ocean... Shallow for most part. Lots of life( critters, fish, nudibranch etc). Also want that to be economical... I'm always on a budget. I've only done diving in this part of the globe. How is Lembeh.. Isn't that a lot of endemism?I don't mind muck...

I have like 70 dives mostly Caribbean..

My research says philippines is where budget and quality meet. Is Indonesia any better? Thx

Thx Centrals.
Funny you mentioned..I was thinking about the same thing to go with trailboss! Lol.

I'm debating starting a new thread as to which is better Anilao or PG...or indo.
I just dived OAHU and it was rough...I couldn't enjoy much since I was battling the current. Big island scuba was better imo. Anyways.. What I really want is mostly calm ocean... Shallow for most part. Lots of life( critters, fish, nudibranch etc). Also want that to be economical... I'm always on a budget. I've only done diving in this part of the globe. How is Lembeh.. Isn't that a lot of endemism?I don't mind muck...

I have like 70 dives mostly Caribbean..

My research says philippines is where budget and quality meet. Is Indonesia any better? Thx
My November trip is with my dive group out of Portland, OR. Unfortunately, a very private group and the trip is full also. That being said, I am considering going in a week to 10 days before the group by myself and doing some additional diving in Puerto Galera. If I do, I will let you know.

With regards to your other questions, I think you will find Puerto Galera to be the best bang for the buck. Indonesia is going to add a significant amount of time and money to get to. I would personally pick Puerto Galera over Anilao, but you can quite easily spend time at both and many people do that. Depending on the amount of time you have, I would make it a 70/30 split (70% PG and 30% Anilao).

@miserkris
Indonesia has great diving but not really budget friendly and getting there is rather complicated and expensive for anyone coming from the States. Lembeh is very very good especially for macro.

Budget conscious!! Welcome to Philippines.
PG is a very good choice for a first time scuba visitor to SE Asia. It has plenty to offer and the place was "invaded" by SB several years ago.
PG + Anilao would make a very interesting trip. There is NO domestic flight to worry about. The public transfer from Manila to PG is dirt cheap but can be tricky due to the ferry schedule. The transfer between these two places is a walk in the park if ones has inclination to use public. Even a private transfer from Batangas Pier(ferry terminal to PG) to Anilao is manageable because the distance is short.
Anilao is a bit more expensive and you are more or less eat, dive and sleep from the same resort. While in PG you are free to explore everywhere, a simple local meal is less than P200.00(US$3.50).
Of course there are more up-market restaurants but the choice is your. Various type of accommodation to suit your budget(US$20.00 up).

Koh Tao in the East coast of Thailand is the other place that can offer really budget diving but the quality is definitely inferior to PG.
Great food in Thailand.

@miserkris
Indonesia has great diving but not really budget friendly and getting there is rather complicated and expensive for anyone coming from the States. Lembeh is very very good especially for macro.

Budget conscious!! Welcome to Philippines.
PG is a very good choice for a first time scuba visitor to SE Asia. It has plenty to offer and the place was "invaded" by SB several years ago.
PG + Anilao would make a very interesting trip. There is NO domestic flight to worry about. The public transfer from Manila to PG is dirt cheap but can be tricky due to the ferry schedule. The transfer between these two places is a walk in the park if ones has inclination to use public. Even a private transfer from Batangas Pier(ferry terminal to PG) to Anilao is manageable because the distance is short.
Anilao is a bit more expensive and you are more or less eat, dive and sleep from the same resort. While in PG you are free to explore everywhere, a simple local meal is less than P200.00(US$3.50).
Of course there are more up-market restaurants but the choice is your. Various type of accommodation to suit your budget(US$20.00 up).

Koh Tao in the East coast of Thailand is the other place that can offer really budget diving but the quality is definitely inferior to PG.
Great food in Thailand.
Well stated!

My November trip is with my dive group out of Portland, OR. Unfortunately, a very private group and the trip is full also. That being said, I am considering going in a week to 10 days before the group by myself and doing some additional diving in Puerto Galera. If I do, I will let you know.

With regards to your other questions, I think you will find Puerto Galera to be the best bang for the buck. Indonesia is going to add a significant amount of time and money to get to. I would personally pick Puerto Galera over Anilao, but you can quite easily spend time at both and many people do that. Depending on the amount of time you have, I would make it a 70/30 split (70% PG and 30% Anilao).
Hi
Trail boss.. Are you still going to PG to dive? In any case I'm thinking about it this year end... for a week stay in that resort you mentioned!
Kris

Hi
Trail boss.. Are you still going to PG to dive? In any case I'm thinking about it this year end... for a week stay in that resort you mentioned!
Kris
Yes, I am going. I will be by myself and staying at El Galleon and diving with Asia Divers from October 30th through November 6th. I then transfer a few blocks away to the Atlantis resort and will still be diving another week with friends from there. We then move on to Dumaguete for a week of diving there.

Yes, I am going. I will be by myself and staying at El Galleon and diving with Asia Divers from October 30th through November 6th. I then transfer a few blocks away to the Atlantis resort and will still be diving another week with friends from there. We then move on to Dumaguete for a week of diving there.
That's awesome. Lemme contact Asia divers and ask rates for approx same duration ie a week..Around your dates.
Dumaguete is further south wow! Hopefully you'll see new stuff there.
Watched your YouTube too on PG...!
I can't wait for macro life in PG!!

I was shopping flights in google for MNL and suddenly realized that I need to ask this shuttle question before booking:

Found some that arrive at eg :
10:05 PM+1Ninoy Aquino International Airport (MNL)

For the 3 hr shuttle ride + Ferry to PG...are there cut off limits when last ride/ferry is at a set time ?
Same question for leaving PG to MNL, when is the earliest I can board Ferry/shuttle after Galleon hotel checkout?

When should I arrive at MNL (day time range) to get the shuttle/ferry with ease? That's more tricky than leaving PG for ferry/shuttle to MNL I think.

Thx!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom