Trip Report - Blue XT-Sea, Island Photo, Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gdenny

Reaction score
My wife and I had an absolute blast in Cozumel. We were on the island from June 18th - 25th. Many thanks to all who have posted valuable info in this forum. It really helped us make our decisions and we couldn’t have been happier. Our only mistake was that we stayed for just a week. We both wish we had stayed longer.

Casa Mexicana: As first timers to Mexico we wanted to stay someplace “nice”, but we also wanted to be in town so we could get a true feel for the place. We chose Casa Mexicana. It’s a great hotel but it is not a resort. It does have a small pool and a few lounges, but no beach. As this was our first trip to Coz, we planned to dive, explore town, and eat off Christi’s restaurant list. All we really wanted was a warm shower, clean room, ocean view, in-town location, and no hassle breakfast. This hotel was spotless, the staff was friendly, and the breakfast was outstanding. It was perfect for us for this trip. Next time I might stay somewhere with rinse tanks and lockers. Oh yeah, the bed was firm. :11: Really firm, maybe the hardest surface I have ever called a bed. But from what I understand it’s part of the fun. I could have slept on the wall by the waterfront and had a good time.

Island Photo: Holly and Armando Allentado are fantastic. This was our first time renting an underwater camera. Armando set us up with a Sea & Sea DX3000G with strobe. He gave us a thorough explanation of how to use the camera as well as a quick lesson on how to compose our shots. One thing I really liked is they have a computer in the shop so you can see your shots the day you take them. You can also get a little advice on what you’re doing well and what you’re doing wrong when you stop by to exchange your batteries. Call it luck if you will (I did), but check out the picture of the turtle my wife took on her first dive with this camera. If you have any photo needs while in Coz, I highly recommend Holly and Armando.

Blue XT-Sea: Diving Cozumel was incredible. We made 16 dives in 6 days including 2 4-dive days, and 2 night dives. It was hands down the best diving experience I’ve had thus far. We dove with Christi’s operation Blue XT-Sea. Her reputation on the board is well deserved. I have a whole new appreciation for how hard she and her crew work. Christi really goes above and beyond the call of duty to make your time on the island as nice as possible. When we arrived and checked in, we asked for a few directions, expecting a verbal explanation, or at most maybe a hand drawn map. Not from Christi, next thing I know we are piling in the truck and she is giving us a tour of San Miguel and the surrounding area. It really helped us get our bearings. She also loaned us gear for our first day since ours didn’t make it, invited us to join her, Chris (Cali68) and Gina for dinner our first night there. You couldn’t have a more gracious host or a better friend on the island than Christi. She really made us feel welcome. :07:

Our DM for the week was Pedro. He’s a very graceful diver and I learned a lot just watching him dive. He gives excellent pre-dive briefings; dives great profiles, and insists on 5 min. safety stops. His English is impeccable. He’s funny as hell, and he’s got a great attitude. I can’t wait to dive with him again. Our Captains for the week we’re Javier and Mago. Not the Javier you know and love but another Javier. I think he was from another shop maybe Liquid Blue? All three of these guys impressed me with their hard work over the course of a week. By the time you sit down in the boat after a dive, your tank has been changed and someone is handing you a fresh towel. Mago even fixed my light for me before a night dive. Christi has assembled quite a team. She sets the bar pretty high on safety as well. I mentioned the 5 min. safety stop, but when logging my dives I noticed the shortest SI we had all week was 82 minutes. The average was over 90 min. Our bottom times for the week were about an hour, shorter on the first day but we were new to Coz and drift diving etc. The nice thing is they send you up in pairs when your running low so you don't cut others dives short and vice versa. When you dive with Blue XT-Sea, it's definitely all about you. My favorite dives were Columbia Deep, Palancar Caves, Palancar Horseshoe, and Chun Cha Cab.

All in all it was a great week. We got to meet and dive with several SBer's. Chris (Cali68) and his wife Gina, Jeff (Moodiejeff) and his girlfriend Mia, Mikki (Mikkilj) and her husband David, and Kent (divedoggie). Cozumel was a lot of fun. I'm sure we will be back. :D

Thanks for the report. Anyone reading this post in the future, it's a great road map of how to put a trip to Cozumel together. I would do it just as you did (and I have).

Wishing I was doing it again soon :-(.

gdenny:
All in all it was a great week. We got to meet and dive with several SBer's. Chris (Cali68) and his wife Gina, Jeff (Moodiejeff) and his girlfriend Mia, Mikki (Mikkilj) and her husband David, and Kent (divedoggie). Cozumel was a lot of fun. I'm sure we will be back. :D
Had a great time with you guys, I'd have to say it was probably our best trip yet and you two definitely contributed to that! It really helps to have a good group on the boat to maximize your enjoyment. As you see from my timer we had such a good time we thought we'd head back!

That night dive we did on Villablanca wall will forever be etched in my memory :11:

I keep threatening to do a trip report too, I guess I better hurry unless I want to do a combo with the upcoming trip...

Moodiejeff:
Had a great time with you guys, I'd have to say it was probably our best trip yet and you two definitely contributed to that! It really helps to have a good group on the boat to maximize your enjoyment. As you see from my timer we had such a good time we thought we'd head back!

That night dive we did on Villablanca wall will forever be etched in my memory :11:

I keep threatening to do a trip report too, I guess I better hurry unless I want to do a combo with the upcoming trip...

You are killing me. :crying: I'm so bummed not planning another trip right now. I wish I could come join you guys. It makes all the difference diving with nice people. It was definitely a pleasure hanging out with you and Mia. We are gonna have to do that again. At least we're diving local now.

You're right about the night dive on Villablanca, a bit of some task overload but I will not forget it. Um, is that upcoming trip the reeason I didnt hear back about the housing? :crafty: I found a way to get the Oly C7070 for $359.

I hope you and Mia have a great time. Say hello to everyone for us.

A combo trip report and the first part isn't three months old...

Moodiejeff:

And I've already decided you and Mia have to stay a few extra days because my friend Angie is coming down and y'all need to meet her and dive with her :) :) I was also thinking that maybe I should just open a line of credit for you and Mia, you would be the first with a Blue XT~Sea credit card...haha!

Glen, you and Nicole were alot of fun and we really enjoyed getting to know you and diving with you :) Hurry up and plan your next trip back...and figure out how to bring Lewis with you :)

Kev, long time no see (on the board)...I hope all is well with you and hope to see you in Coz again soon!

Christi:
Glen, you and Nicole were alot of fun and we really enjoyed getting to know you and diving with you :) Hurry up and plan your next trip back...and figure out how to bring Lewis with you :)

Hi Christi. Thanks for making our trip such a memorable one. I'm glad we got to dive with you. I'd love to plan another, but my wife has a plan of her own. :wink: I may be bringing a whole lot more with me next time than Lewis.

gdenny:
Hi Christi. Thanks for making our trip such a memorable one. I'm glad we got to dive with you. I'd love to plan another, but my wife has a plan of her own. :wink: I may be bringing a whole lot more with me next time than Lewis.

REALLY??????? :babycrawl ????????

AWWWWWW.....y'all will make very cute ones...thats' for sure :) :fruit:

Christi:
And I've already decided you and Mia have to stay a few extra days because my friend Angie is coming down and y'all need to meet her and dive with her :) :) I was also thinking that maybe I should just open a line of credit for you and Mia, you would be the first with a Blue XT~Sea credit card...haha!
As I said in my email, we're extending the trip to Sept. 1st. Probably won't get to dive with Angie but we should all go out to dinner on the 31st. La Cocay or Mesa 17 sound best to me but there are about 10 other places we need to hit as well and we only have 9 days to do it!

Hmmmm, just what I need - Another credit card! :wink:
gdenny:
You are killing me. :crying: I'm so bummed not planning another trip right now. I wish I could come join you guys. It makes all the difference diving with nice people. It was definitely a pleasure hanging out with you and Mia. We are gonna have to do that again.

You're right about the night dive on Villablanca, a bit of some task overload but I will not forget it. Um, is that upcoming trip the reeason I didnt hear back about the housing? :crafty: I found a way to get the Oly C7070 for $359.

I hope you and Mia have a great time. Say hello to everyone for us.
We'd love to do it again sometime... Chris & Gina said something about trying to get down there in Feb. :crafty: That still on Chris? Now That would be a fun boat!

Sent you an email about the strobe... Yep, that was one hell of a ride that night wasn't it!?! Was feeling a bit disappointed in myself having to share air with Mia but then looked up to see you doing the same with Nicole! Taking pics in a ripping current is hard work! Oh, and just for clarification... we were sharing air to conserve our air supply, not because we ran out!

It's awesome not having a real job!!! We'll do our best to have as good a time as we can! :11ztongue

Moodiejeff:
As I said in my email, we're extending the trip to Sept. 1st. Probably won't get to dive with Angie but we should all go out to dinner on the 31st. La Cocay or Mesa 17 sound best to me but there are about 10 other places we need to hit as well and we only have 9 days to do it!

Hi, I'm Angie! I'm coming in Aug 31 and leaving Sept 5, and can't wait to meet you guys--Christi keeps talking about what cool people you are. You guys sound like you have the same restaurant list I do--I went to Mesa 17 in April and it was FABULOUS! And Christi has promised that we'll definitely do La Cocay this time. Between the diving and all the great food, Cozumel is truly paradise! :)

Christi:
REALLY??????? :babycrawl ????????

AWWWWWW.....y'all will make very cute ones...thats' for sure :) :fruit:

Thanks Christi. I just want the kid to have a better life than me... I'm hoping for webbed feet. :D Yeah that is the plan. I guess I'm playing it by ear for awhile. We'll definitely keep you informed.

We'd love to do it again sometime... Chris & Gina said something about trying to get down there in Feb. That still on Chris? Now That would be a fun boat!

Sent you an email about the strobe... Yep, that was one hell of a ride that night wasn't it!?! Was feeling a bit disappointed in myself having to share air with Mia but then looked up to see you doing the same with Nicole! Taking pics in a ripping current is hard work! Oh, and just for clarification... we were sharing air to conserve our air supply, not because we ran out!

That woulld be a great boat. I got to dive with them for 1 day and they're awesome divers. I think Chris and Gina are in Mauii right now.

Until that dive I was wondering what the big deal was in Coz with the currents. Now I see. It was next to impossible to stay in one place. Sure was fun though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom