Trip Report 6/27 Off Clearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spyfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
While visiting family in Tampa this weekend, I managed to sneak out for my first post-open water certification dives with Capt. Rod and DM Katie of Dive Clearwater.

First, I highly recommend Dive Clearwater. Rod is a blast- very helpful and never condescending. Smooth and fast ride on the Plunger VII.

We did two dives- a wreck and a reef. I'd like to say I know exactly where we went but I didn't have the wits about me to ask. Both dives maxed out at around 45'. According to my computer, I hit 47' at the wreck. Water temperature was 86 F all the way down. Visibility at the wreck was better than at the reef.

Lots of grouper and hogfish at both sites. Some of the guys with us saw a goliath grouper but I either did not see him or didn't think his size ws unusual. Admittedly, I was more focused on diving for the first 15 minutes than what was around me. I did get to see a group of about 6 young adult barracuda. Also, a turtle. Not sure th species because he decided I was uninteresting and swam away. Plenty of blennies and gobies and a group of Ocean triggerfish. Many, many other species that I cannot recall or identify. Sadly, severly bleached coral all around. The health of the coral and fish seemed better at the wreck.

Hopefully, I'll be able to dive more of Florida in the future!

glad you had a good trip and welcome to the sport. the Plunger is a great boat

Another vote for Capt Rod - I dove with him and Katie late May thanks to a referral from Salmonboy97 above, and had a stellar experience. Flat seas that day, fast ride to the sites, and the sites were awesome. The first one was a huge pile of cement bridge pilings they called "Old Pass Bridge" @ 47 fsw and the reef was called "little elbow", same depth.

I remember diving with Tanks-a-lot a few years earlier and the site was called "Barge and Wing" which was small but kindof neat, then a tiny reef ledge as the 2nd dive, and I thought, "well, this is the Gulf, not the Keys". But after diving with Captain Rod, I have a whole new view of Gulf diving. That pile of bridge decks was huge, and was teeming with life all around.

Capt. Rod makes the trips enjoyable! Glad you've all had a good time.

The Gulf here in the Tampa area often gets dismissed as poor diving but there is plenty of things to see out there. Sure, the vis can range from 1ft to 90ft depending on the recent weather but every trip out is totaly unique.

I do believe the Dive Clearwater website is at Welcome To Dive Clearwater!. I figure with people giving Capt. Rod a good word we might as well list his website in case anyone reading interested in giving him a try!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom