Trigger fish encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought I'd dive some place closer to me so I dove at Misquamicutt early in the morning. I was disappointed to see hardly any fish at all until I ran into a cauldron of boulders. First I was surrounded a school of giant tautogs one who seemed to be missing its upper lip thus its bottom teeth were sticking out like a barracuda (so I assume). Then the striped bass appeared and were scared a way easily.

But what caught my eye mostly was what I thought were small school of silvery giant scup and I said to myself scup aren't usually that big. I was thinking a foot long scup is something neat to see until I saw a single dark vertical pattern down their sides and pointy v-shaped mouths. I realized they were trigger fish. Unfortunately, I was quite a ways offshore and had to make my way back in in order to explore more. Also, the long shore current was just starting flow.

Now a question I ask is do trigger fish nest in RI were one would possibly make them defensive protecting their nests?

Nice day though with balmy 68 F water at 18 feet max depth.

i can't answer that off hand. I can tell you that this past Sat. I saw trigger fish also at Gooseberry Island,Newport. Someone shot a big one. Those fish can fight! That fish got hit with a clean shot right behind the gills and still swam strong for a full minute. Once he grabbed it he ended the fight. I saw a lot of them maybe we do have a population? Or they are migrating further north because the water is warmer?:idk:

Hey Chris,
To partly answer your question, this region is within the normal range of the gray triggerfish but I don't know if they breed here:

Florida Museum of Natural History Ichthyology Department

A site where I've found very good odds of encountering them is the wreck of the Lightburne on the south side of Block Island (this past weekend included).

Well thanks for the responses. We are having a nice trigger fish season I see.

Out of all the diving I have done in NE, I don't I am prepared for a trigger fish fight. I wouldn't know what to do if they started pecking at me from all directions.

That would be much worse than the manatee ambush I experienced in Florida:D

Back
Top Bottom