Dive Report Potter Cove/Taylor Point Jamestown RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dive 2104 8-26-2021 Potter Cove/Taylor Point Jamestown RI buddy @Resqdivemedic

Did an interesting Quahog dive. Usually when I rake for the hogs flatfish gather round to eat what I may disturb. Today it was bait fish of many types, small all 1-2" long stripe bass, small scup and puffer fish dozens of them! They all followed me and @Resqdivemedic around while we raked. I am, definitely going back with my camera and see if I can get a repeat performance. Max depth 11FSW 73F 60min vis 10' with suspended particles.

Great dive! I've never seen that many puffer fish during a single dive.

I wonder if they are native or tropical? Pictures! We need pictures!!

Lets not talk about it, let's do it! I'm game to go back.

One problem is the timing of high tides next week it'll be early morning or late in the day. Monday would be a good day Hi tide is 2:20 at Potter Cove. Also the sooner the better those fish are after all on a wildlife menu and there could be a lot less next time.

Mrs.AD wants to see the puffers she may go in the water next time. She's isn't a diver but I've taken her a few times on shallow dives like the one we did. It's a total babysitting dive for me but since we'll likely be in one spot once the fish begin to gather it should be fine.

How was the vis? Clearing up after the big storm?

About 10' a little murky. The current rips by that cove so it gets a good flushing. I won't count on that outside the Bay.

Took my full face mask students to the cove last Thursday (10/07). Vis was about 10 feet. Still seeing puffers. Noticed a pretty good current along the south side near the rocks. Weird because the tide was just going out but the current was moving in only along the wall. Both on surface and at depth. Wondering if it was the way the tide was moving out of the bay and hitting the rock wall of the cove. Anyway, great dive with a great class of firefighters finishing up their training.

Took my full face mask students to the cove last Thursday (10/07). Vis was about 10 feet. Still seeing puffers. Noticed a pretty good current along the south side near the rocks. Weird because the tide was just going out but the current was moving in only along the wall. Both on surface and at depth. Wondering if it was the way the tide was moving out of the bay and hitting the rock wall of the cove. Anyway, great dive with a great class of firefighters finishing up their training.
Currents inside the bay can get really wonky. I have had rip currents on a rising tide in the Cove at FTW. The cove may have created a giant edd.

Back
Top Bottom