Tried Split Fins... Not Impressed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that, given the EXPs are discontinued, you're still going to end up not wearing fins that the shop sells.

PS - where do you intend to buy those EXPs from anyway?

:D

Yea, but they recently became a Dive Rite dealer, and these are a LOT like the newer XTs except for the strap arrangement. More so than anything from ScubaPro would be. :) It's brand, not model that they are concerned about.

As for where they are coming from, I was born on a weekend, but it wasn't last weekend.

SMW

Reactions: RJP
I was as well on quest to find me good fins, and I got me the Mares Power Plana following the experiences from other divers in SB and specially TsanM, more I dive with them more I like them, they are heavy, they are great for back kick and photography that I do as well, I have a Cressi Frog Plus that was my first pair of fins, but I wanted to do a one time investment and went for the Power Plana and my money was well invested, can't say about frog kicks since I don't do them or suck big time doing it with fins, since I hobber around and I'm slow just enjoying I hardly kick, I had done 5min brutal kicking and did not got cramps but I have strong legs so I don't suffer from that, as well I keep my pottasium levels were they need to be, that helps as well, see if someone has the Power Plana that you can give them a try, LP have them very chip. About 100$

I should clarify my cramp statements. I did start taking a potassium pill once daily, probably coincidentally around the time I got my splits. As well, I do leg exercises. So I'm not saying the fins are solely responsible for reducing my cramping by probably 80%. And the splits were free (won them), so I have no reason to buy something else right now, as my diving is very simple and straight forward (figuratively and usually literally).

I. And the splits were free (won them), so I have no reason to buy something else right now, as my diving is very simple and straight forward (figuratively and usually literally).

1st Prize - One Pair of split fins
2nd Prize - Two Pairs of split fins

Last edited:
warning_20130423105912.jpg

---------- Post added April 14th, 2015 at 07:09 PM ----------

Fixed your "first-person vs second person" pronoun problem.

Let me know if you can beat my ~12min time wearing Jets.

Proper technique trumps "better gear" every time. (And I was 40lbs heavier at the time.)

:D

I will beat your time easily with Jets ...... and a scooter

Reactions: RJP
I have to laugh. A lot of this issue came to a head when I asked my LDS if they could order a set of the Gorillas for me. Based on what I'm reading here, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on these Dive Rite EXPs.

View attachment 206599

I can get them for about 1/2 of what new are running. From what I can find, about the only real difference between these and the newer XTs is the way the spring strap attaches.

Thoughts?

SMW

Mine look just like the ones in the picture, maybe a little more beaten up. Perfect for me

There are a lot of things split fins can't do that single blade fins can... but then I can't do the frog kick or any of those fancy maneuvers anyway. I use split fins (Apollo Bio-Fins) here at home but when I travel I take my old US Divers (Aqualung) Blades. They are much lighter and better in currents.

I have to laugh. A lot of this issue came to a head when I asked my LDS if they could order a set of the Gorillas for me. Based on what I'm reading here, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on these Dive Rite EXPs.

View attachment 206599

Got them for 70 bucks, they should be here Friday if everything works well. And worst case, I can always post them back up for sale. :)

Steve

View attachment 206599

I can get them for about 1/2 of what new are running. From what I can find, about the only real difference between these and the newer XTs is the way the spring strap attaches.

Thoughts?

SMW

Cheng uses those fins and absolutely loves them ... in cold or warm water diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Cheng uses those fins and absolutely loves them ... in cold or warm water diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well I got to play with them today doing my Rescue Diver training. Lots of tows, lots of pulling the victim up from the bottom, extended search pattern for lost diver. All I can say is WOW! I can feel my feet and their position, slow easy kicks had me easily moving as fast as anybody else, with no effort on my part. Plenty of power in bringing up a diver from about 30 foot.

I can see how if you push it, you could be prone to cramping in them, especially if you didn't have "dive legs". The thing is, they are so powerful (at least in my mind) that I could kick a lot slower, do 2-3 kicks and a glide. Love the way they frog kick and let me pivot.

I'll be doing a shadow on an open water class tomorrow, so I'll get a better chance to evaluate them, but right now I'm very please.

All in all, I'm super happy with them. I'll probably end up selling the Atomic Splits back off.

Thanks for all the help, that's why I come here. (that and the free beer on Fridays)

Steve

Back
Top Bottom