Question Tri-Mix regulator questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBadger32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want to dive with tri-mix, eventually, and wanted to make sure that a regulator will be able to work with tri-mix. I see them advertised as able to take up to 40% o2, but does helium play a role in this? thanks!

I want to dive with tri-mix, eventually, and wanted to make sure that a regulator will be able to work with tri-mix. I see them advertised as able to take up to 40% o2, but does helium play a role in this? thanks!
any regulator you have will be fine with trimix, they don't notice or care

I had the same question with the same plans as you as I I was shopping for a new reg set. From what I read regs with titanium should be avoided for 100% O2 because of a tiny probability of combustion. But you can continue to use it for the main tank if not the stage cylinder gases with O2.

The Helium in trimix is inert, won't react with anything. It is also a very thin gas, flows very good, even at higher pressures. Don't need anything special to use it. Well you need a fat wallet, that Helium is expensive.
uh oh, how much could i expect to pay for 2 HP100s filled with trimix?

From Amigos (Fl cave country) website:
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 1.34.34 PM.png
That is probably on the lower end, but it gives you a rough idea. Cost will vary by region and what stage of alert level of the "world-wide helium shortage, we're all gonna die!" is at the time you fill your tanks.

If you do much trimix diving, CCR starts to look more and more reasonable.

depends on the mix. outside of florida, expect 1.50/cf or possibly more for the helium and then whatever they charge for the nitrox to top it off.

From Amigos (Fl cave country) website:View attachment 705231That is probably on the lower end, but it gives you a rough idea. Cost will vary by region and what stage of alert level of the "world-wide helium shortage, we're all gonna die!" is at the time you fill your tanks.

If you do much trimix diving, CCR starts to look more and more reasonable.
well hello, CCR, buying a CCR seems to be cheaper in the long run!

well hello, CCR, buying a CCR seems to be cheaper in the long run!
I said MORE reasonable, still maybe not actually reasonable.

There are some people that it works out to be cheaper for a CCR, but that is probably pretty rare.
There are some people that do the type of diving that a CCR is a safer and more practical option.

Most people that dive a CCR think they fall onto one of the above categories, but actually just want to dive a CCR.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom