Question Tri-Mix regulator questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... regs with titanium should be avoided ....

Yes, but only because they are ridiculously expensive and senseless. For an A-10 titanium is a good idea, for a scuba regulator it goes in the same pile with carbon fiber back plates.

uh oh, how much could i expect to pay for 2 HP100s filled with trimix?
If I were to say $300, what would you think?

Or I could do the same dive on the rebreather for about $30 in gas.
I never took a trimix class until I was a year into owning a rebreather. The only open circuit trimix I dived was bailout for class.

Stuff like this, getting on a boat expecting to do a 200' dive. Get to the site, conditions are not good. Off to another site, then another. Finally find acceptable conditions on a 130' site. Do you dive the $300 in gas? Sit it out and enjoy the boat ride? Rebreather, you just take the dive and not care you are using $30 in Helium that you don't need.

I never took a trimix class until I was a year into owning a rebreather. The only open circuit trimix I dived was bailout for class.

Stuff like this, getting on a boat expecting to do a 200' dive. Get to the site, conditions are not good. Off to another site, then another. Finally find acceptable conditions on a 130' site. Do you dive the $300 in gas? Sit it out and enjoy the boat ride? Rebreather, you just take the dive and not care you are using $30 in Helium that you don't need.
ooooh i like this plan. which rebreather do you dive? always something that seemed amazing to get into!!

uh oh, how much could i expect to pay for 2 HP100s filled with trimix?

How much ya got? Hand it over!

Premixed 21/35 in double HP100s here in South FL will set you back $140. For ONE FILL!!

If you are going to be doing much trimix diving, start shopping for a rebreather now.

The amount will depend on the mix. I probably pay around $130 to fill a set of LP 85s with 21/35 in S. Florida. More helium in the mix is more money.

Yep, I've been down that road. On several occasions I've ended up making a substantially shallower dive than was planned. I felt like a wasted a nice chunk of money. Sometimes, I've had dives cancelled due to weather. Th next day was a much shallower dive. In that case, it's nice to have an extra set of doubles filled with a different mix. But of course, buying multiple sets of doubles ain't cheap either!

Bingo. The logistical challenges are real. To be brutally honest, this is why I hardly ever dived trimix after being certified. Too darn hard to coordinate and ultimately, to me, it just wasn't worth it. I will not move to a rebreather so diving trimix just fell to the wayside. I eventually sold off all my tech gear and I'm now happy to just be a regular Jim recreational diver. I rarely dive below 100' these days. I'd rather do a 2.5 hr shore dive than a 30 min bottom time dive on a 200' wreck. To each their own. But you do need to be real with yourself about the costs and logistics involved.

Oh yes, many saving. Such frugal.

$10,000 rebreather…

For the average diver, saying a rebreather is going to save you money over open circuit, is like using the cost if diving off a dive boat to justify buying a new boat.
Shhhhhush I tell my spouse the boat is saving me money all the time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom