Switching gas with 2 bottles and SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LordHavoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question for Trimix divers. Switching gas needs two hands, specially when you switch from first decompression gas to second decompression gas because you have to stow the regulator from the first decom mix before you switch to second do mix. I like to give my DSMB to buddy while I switch gas so that I use both my hands. Some divers shoot one DSMB for the whole team and then the DSMB is handed over from one diver to another while team does gas switch. I like this more.

In some diving circles, like John Chattertons students everyone shoots their own SMB. How do you switch gas with one hand while holding the SMB in the other? It is possible if you have only one deco gas but when you are switching from deeper deco to shallower deco, you have to stow the hose from first deco gas back and then switch. How do you do that with one hand while the other is holding the DSMB? Do you not stow the second regulator and just leave it around your neck while you use the other hand to pull the reg on the second deco gas?

Thanks.

I was taught to hand the reel to a teammate while I stow, then they do the same. I've also just "blocked" the line with my right arm with the reel hanging below while stowing. Unless you're facing "downstream", it won't get away.

If the bag is drifting at a rate that I am not (rippin surface current, wind, etc), and I really can’t pass it to my buddy, I’ll just clip it off to my r chest dring for a second.

Otherwise I just let it hang. I’m neutral and it ain’t goin’ anywhere. No need to hold on.

Thanks for asking OP, I was wondering the same thing.

If the bag is drifting at a rate that I am not (rippin surface current, wind, etc), and I really can’t pass it to my buddy, I’ll just clip it off to my r chest dring for a second.

Otherwise I just let it hang. I’m neutral and it ain’t goin’ anywhere. No need to hold on.

+1 for what PfcAJ said.

FNG for trimix here, so I'm still figuring it out too. A similar method that works for diving in moderate current is to leave the spool/reel hanging a few feet below stop depth, then hold the line loosely between fingers on the left hand while facing down-current. Fingers are not gripped around the line, so able to release quickly if a passing boat snatches the DSMB, but can also easily pause the gas switch and grab the line if the current picks up.

Lance

I usually do let it go and hold the line between fingers periodically when the conditions are good and I need to manipulate something with both hands too.

Never thought of clipping temporarily, I guess since it’s only for a few seconds it’s ok.

It's a whole lot easier to not have multiple SMBs up in the first place. Pass the spool to your buddy, switch, pass it back. In really ripping currents they can get tangled in each other too. Multiple SMBs is making your life more complicated not easier or safer so stop doing that and your switch issues are simpler and safer too.

Definitely pass the smb to a team mate who just completed gas switch, then you can switch. I somehow don't think this is a very difficult situation at all. Even in training way before tech, we were hit by combinational issue from instructor, like ascending with SMB, then out of gas team mate, then donner back gas free flow .. we pass the SMB to the least task loading team mates of the 3

One SMB is enough if it is bright enough and large enough for boat crew to see.
That being said..do like all say above, pass it off, do the switch.

Definitely pass the smb to a team mate who just completed gas switch, then you can switch.
Difficult to do if solo diving, pass the line that is.:wink: Learn to do it yourself (the proverbial 'yourself' of course) without assistance using one of the number of methods suggested in this thread, as one day you just might have to, which is not the ideal time to learn. Key words to remember are 'always be self reliant', especially when tec diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom