Balloon Helium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised the oxygen is that low, I figured they would have closer to 15%+ to keep kids from passing out
Funnily enough, this is now a requirement down here in Australia.

'Balloon Gas' used to be 50% helium and 50% air. Gas producers are now required to keep the oxygen level at 20% for this exact reason.

My supplier has never had balloon grade, neither has anyone else in this area that I know of. They have industrial, USP, and lab (analytical) grade. I have a stash and haven't needed to buy any in years.

Just to follow up, went to get another not as floaty balloon after lunch. They were all gone. Guess I was lucky to get the one that I did get. I have the technique down to get a sample. Now to get more samples. At the rate I get balloons, this is going to take a long time. But when I get another one, I'll update with a another data point. I wonder how wide of a range there really is in the wild. From everyone else's comments I suspect there to be a lot. Ranging from pure He down to 50%.

My surprises were that the He concentration was as high as it was. And it wasn't just cut with air, a little O2 had to be added to make those numbers. Yet the O2 levels were still so low. The surprises you find when you actually check and not just guess and go off what someone says. I welcome others to take there own samples and post them up.

Reactions: OTF
Just to follow up, went to get another not as floaty balloon after lunch. They were all gone. Guess I was lucky to get the one that I did get. I have the technique down to get a sample. Now to get more samples. At the rate I get balloons, this is going to take a long time. But when I get another one, I'll update with a another data point. I wonder how wide of a range there really is in the wild. From everyone else's comments I suspect there to be a lot. Ranging from pure He down to 50%.

My surprises were that the He concentration was as high as it was. And it wasn't just cut with air, a little O2 had to be added to make those numbers. Yet the O2 levels were still so low. The surprises you find when you actually check and not just guess and go off what someone says. I welcome others to take there own samples and post them up.
You shouldn't see anywhere near 50%. A latex balloon would barely float with 50%. That would be a very ****** balloon company if they are running that low.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom