Treat every dive like a tech dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To go back to the original post, rather than treat every dive as a tech dive, I would suggest that your treat every dive as a solo dive. I dive an almost identical configuration for every dive I have completed (so far) except for the size of my sausage and whether or not I carry spare mask.

Not suggesting that one should ignore any resource available. To spout the kool aid, solo trained divers make better dive buddies

These two comments are not consistent IMO. If you treat every dive as a solo dive it follows that every diver needs to carry all the redundant gear *he* might need. All the redundant gas, all the redundant guide line, smb's, masks, instruments etc.

That gear can be a burden vs having the spares distributed across a team. Does every diver in a team need a redundant SMB?, or Bottom Timer? or Mask or scooter or ELT or Strobe or reel etc.? I'd suggest that with a cohesive team all theses extras can easily become a burden.

I also know where my back up gas is. My teammate is carrying it.........

Tobin

Not suggesting that one should ignore any resource available. To spout the kool aid, solo trained divers make better dive buddies

I don't think that's necessarily true. I went through a lot of "phases", and tend to emphasize team diving protocols. But I found that once I started solo diving on a regular basis I had to put a lot more conscious effort into being a dive buddy on those days when I dived with one.

Diving really is a routine-oriented activity ... the less something becomes part of your routine, the more conscious effort you need to put into being good at it. Being a dive buddy requires practice and effort just like any other skill set. More so than some, since it begins with how you think about the dive (i.e. "our" dive rather than "my" dive) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't think that's necessarily true. I went through a lot of "phases", and tend to emphasize team diving protocols. But I found that once I started solo diving on a regular basis I had to put a lot more conscious effort into being a dive buddy on those days when I dived with one.

Diving really is a routine-oriented activity ... the less something becomes part of your routine, the more conscious effort you need to put into being good at it. Being a dive buddy requires practice and effort just like any other skill set. More so than some, since it begins with how you think about the dive (i.e. "our" dive rather than "my" dive) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I would say this is absolutely true. I've been solo diving now for over 12 years almost exclusively.
On the rare occasions that I do buddy dive I really have to concentrate on remembering to pay attention. Buddy diving can be a lot of work...and stressful sometimes depending on the buddy. I think one thing left out of scuba courses these days is the information on how to be a successful buddy team. They tell you "always dive with a buddy", but they never explain HOW to be a good buddy. There are certain mechanics to the task.

I would say this is absolutely true. I've been solo diving now for over 12 years almost exclusively.
On the rare occasions that I do buddy dive I really have to concentrate on remembering to pay attention. Buddy diving can be a lot of work...and stressful sometimes depending on the buddy. I think one thing left out of scuba courses these days is the information on how to be a successful buddy team. They tell you "always dive with a buddy", but they never explain HOW to be a good buddy. There are certain mechanics to the task.

Agreed ... that's why I wrote this article ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's not left out of all the courses. :wink:

Tobin

I guess I never really saw the big draw of team diving. I understand that it lets you push your dive profile in terms of depth / time because each diver doesn't need to carry their own backup gas, gear, etc...

I prefer to do all dives - including technical dives with buddies - with my gas planning as a solo diver. Maybe it's from diving in areas of relatively low visibility. I understand that by assuming lost gas AND buddy separation I am planning for two contingencies, which is statistically unlikely. But I still prefer to be able to finish a dive using the gas and gear that I am carrying myself.

I guess I never really saw the big draw of team diving. I understand that it lets you push your dive profile in terms of depth / time because each diver doesn't need to carry their own backup gas, gear, etc...

I prefer to do all dives - including technical dives with buddies - with my gas planning as a solo diver. Maybe it's from diving in areas of relatively low visibility. I understand that by assuming lost gas AND buddy separation I am planning for two contingencies, which is statistically unlikely. But I still prefer to be able to finish a dive using the gas and gear that I am carrying myself.

The reality, particularly in a team of three, which is my preference, with conservative gas planning, it takes a *lot* of failures or a single major failure before team resources are called upon. Having two back up brains is the primary benefit. The discipline to maintain good team communication forces a level of SA that's difficult, IMO, to replicate on a solo dive.

Tobin

The reality, particularly in a team of three, which is my preference, with conservative gas planning, it takes a *lot* of failures or a single major failure before team resources are called upon. Having two back up brains is the primary benefit. The discipline to maintain good team communication forces a level of SA that's difficult, IMO, to replicate on a solo dive.

Tobin

Yeah, maybe it's also a photography thing - also probably why I'm not a great buddy.

I do understand that I'm limiting myself by only diving to the extent supported by my own personal resources. It seems that a lot of effort and concentration goes into the team itself, as a separate dive requirement. Which I suppose makes sense if you are doing big dives, or prolonged profiles... It just doesn't make my dives more enjoyable.

Yeah, maybe it's also a photography thing - also probably why I'm not a great buddy.

I do understand that I'm limiting myself by only diving to the extent supported by my own personal resources. It seems that a lot of effort and concentration goes into the team itself, as a separate dive requirement. Which I suppose makes sense if you are doing big dives, or prolonged profiles... It just doesn't make my dives more enjoyable.
To some people the whole team concept with three divers is their nirvana. To them team diving and all the protocols is almost the entire reason why they dive, they love everything about it.The dive comes only after all the team diving skills have been mastered, remastered, and beat to death.
For the rest of us dedundancy and safety is achieved to a personal acceptable level only to fortify the real reason why we're down there, to enjoy the actual dive and what we see/experience.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom