Treat every dive like a tech dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many a diving question I've pondered, not just here but in real life, has been shut down with some variation on "that only matters for tech dives." I'm struggling to understand the mindset. To me it's like getting in your car and leaving your seatbelt off because the weather's nice and you're not driving fast.

Most of the equipment, training, and practices that make a cave or deco dive safer is going to improve safety for looking at the pretty fishies at 60 feet. The risk of a rapid ascent from "recreational depths" is not zero. Why not think about gas planning, and carry a second primary regulator, and focus your mind on solving problems in a way that allows a deliberate ascent?

Any dive can turn into a solo dive. Any dive can turn into a tech dive (no immediate access to the surface because of entanglement or the needs of a buddy). Many dives, e.g. wall dives, can turn into deco dives, with just a momentary loss of buoyancy control.

In other activities that have inherent hazards, the norm is to expose people to information and training that is beyond the boundaries of what they can do without qualified supervision, while still reinforcing the boundaries.

I'm assuming by your post that you believe OW divers should be trained to tech standards in order to get their c-card and dive with their buddy. I pretty much agree because the inftraining I received decades ago spent more time on how to plan and execute your dive while avoiding the problems you delineate and dealing with them should they arise, than is done now. Of course the tech, not called that at the time, diving then was done by non-certified divers like myself or OW divers, all without the gear, books, or formal training available now.

Now a tech diver having the attitude of "that only matters for tech dives" shows that the lowering of the bar is not just for rec divers anymore. All dives should have a plan and cover depth, time, and gas, as well as the "what ifs" that may arise on the dive. Instant gratification in SCUBA training has a down side.

As for driving without a seatbelt, most people would not use one now except that it is illegal and you will be fined if caught. I put seat belts in my first few vehicles because they did not come equipped, I used to race and learned that I did not want to roll a car without one.

Bob

Bob, agree with all. My usual diving is dirt simple--20-30' shore dives for 30-40 minutes each. You could be tempted to just go in and wander willy nilly and that would almost always be fine, but I still have a basic plan. From what I read, there does seem to be too much instant gratification--who in their right mind would dive one week a year and trust following a guide without any other thoughts? Not me. Seatbelts: I think a majority would wear seatbelts today because that is the "right and only accepted way and everybody does it", of course. I wear mine for safety, though I still disagree with the laws (don't even take it off the 15 miles through N.H., the only state where you don't have to wear one if over 18).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom