Travis Temperature AT DEPTH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy:
Ian.....I did multiple dives (July) at 150+ffw and was in a full 5mil/5mil full hood/5mil gloves and was very comfortable,,,,though I dive year round and in some much chilly waters so I think I am a bit acclimated to cooler water then some. Temp then was in the mid 60's. :)

dam side? with the lake down so low I'm suprised you found 150+ at windy side without sticking your gauge in the mud, never been but when the lake is up I've been told the bed is at 180 feet.

FIXXERVI6:
dam side? with the lake down so low I'm suprised you found 150+ at windy side without sticking your gauge in the mud, never been but when the lake is up I've been told the bed is at 180 feet.

Yea ...we hit a 'gully' area off the public end of Windy....far less trees on the way out to the bed. Actually we had 'inches' to the silt top,,,,vis was ok......course you were in boat lane alley above. The dam area/mule haul...... for extended range/deepish runs is a DCS hit just waiting to happen with the condition of the lake--lol

Did 2 dives this weekend down to the River Channel. Dove from Windy Point Public.You can drive down the boat ramp and park on the sand islands,which is great if you have doubles to haul around.
Descended down the cable of one of the "swim zone" bouys. Viz was actually pretty decent all the way down. At the bottom viz was probably 10 feet. Not great but totally diveable. Max depth was 136. Lowest temperature I got from my Sensus Pro was 57. Used my 3 mm wetsuit with hood and gloves.Got cold but OK as our bottom times were only 20 minutes.

Viz on the ascent contouring up the slope was not so good and we actually went to touch contact at 20 feet . Interesting doing deco stops in 6 inches of milky viz !

ianr33:
Did 2 dives this weekend down to the River Channel. Dove from Windy Point Public.You can drive down the boat ramp and park on the sand islands,which is great if you have doubles to haul around.
Descended down the cable of one of the "swim zone" bouys. Viz was actually pretty decent all the way down. At the bottom viz was probably 10 feet. Not great but totally diveable. Max depth was 136. Lowest temperature I got from my Sensus Pro was 57. Used my 3 mm wetsuit with hood and gloves.Got cold but OK as our bottom times were only 20 minutes.

Viz on the ascent contouring up the slope was not so good and we actually went to touch contact at 20 feet . Interesting doing deco stops in 6 inches of milky viz !

Thanks for the detailed dive reports. From what you reported I am getting my hopes up once again that Lady Travis has not forgot about us .

Again Thanks
Dave

For folks wanting to dive deep with better vis,,,head north into Ok. and Ark. for some good diving.....and for us in NT it is just almost as close as Travis in terms of time/dist. with just a few exceptions,,,a one or two night stay on the road can get you some nice diving. Those lakes have faired much better and offer a change of pace. :)

Back
Top Bottom