Traveling with a SCR/CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanimal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just ordered the "Mastering Rebreathers" book and after reading the forward premise on Amazon, I noticed a fallacy on his premise, for OC I don't take my tanks and weights when I travel. But it did start me to thinking about what you need take when diving a SCR/CCR. Looking through the archives I did not find an answer to the how you travel with this gear. For the SCR I am in the process of getting, I see the tank is dedicated. How have others traveled with their primary and Pony tanks, in this current world? Do you have to drain your tanks completely? Do you just travel with the valve and try to find an appropriate tank?

Since many of you started on the Dolphin before upgrading I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on the issues of traveling with this gear.

Thank you.

The subject has come up before on several occasions, and plenty of good responses. Padiscubapro posted a link to the TSA site dealing with tanks.

If it's a Dolphin you want to travel with, that shouldn't be too hard.
It's neither big nor heavy once you get rid of the tanks.
Just store the hoses & DSV in the shell.

At your location you'll need tanks and absorbant (and nitrox!). So you either pick your location accordingly or haul them along. There are adapters that allow you to use "normal" tank valves rather than the Dräger propriatary stock. Those help a lot. When travelling with absorbant make sure you have all the data sheets you can get. A third possibility is shipping sorb and tanks ahead as needed.

Add-ited: The TSA's position on tanks (and scuba gear)
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml

Back
Top Bottom