Traveling Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveP28

Reaction score
My wife and I completed our training last summer. In December we will be diving in the Carribean. We just are now completing our gear "collection" which cost far more than the mortgage. But that's another rant.
In terms of transporting regulators, I heard that you should only have them in a carry-on as the baggage compartment pressure (or lack of pressure) will burst the diaphram. True? I thought the luggage compartment of a commercial jet was presurized, otherwise wouldn't all your toiletries burst? Wouldn't Fido in the pet carrier die?
Obvisouly checking all the gear is risky in terms of lost luggage and damage due to poor handling, but is there anything else I need to consider?
Thanks in advance,
-Dave

I have never flown with my gear, but like you said, it has to be pressurized. However, in this case, better safe than sorry. I would also ask someone at the airport before the fight.

I dont know how the diaphram of the second stage would burst as the mouth piece is open anyway ?

I carry mine on, only so I know that are not getting beaten around by the airline, last thing I want is to get off the plane and find my favourite Reg in little pieces. Or even worse damage that I can't see.

Also carry on my computers the rest goes in the hold.

when i travel i usualy have six or more regs with me, i check them in and have never had a problem.

the baggage compartment is not pressurized, my proof to this is my suntan lotion that explodes.

i put my tiolettries in a zip lock and don't usualy have a problem

I take my computers and HID light as a cary on

ONe secret i just learned if you have a weight problem with your checked in luggage, make your carey on weight the most, as they do not weigh the carey on.

Sounds like another myth to me. If the dustcap was on tight, the reg would be full of air trapped at surface ambient pressure, and at altitude this would mean it was slightly pressurized inside.

However, considering that a regulator in use has 3000 to 145 psi above ambient in it's various chambers, and that taking a sealed regulator all the way up into space would expose it to a pressure differential of only 15 psi (I assume you are worrying about the 1st stage diaphragm, the 2nd stage diaphragm would of course be exposed to no pressure differential at all) it's hard to see how that is going to cause any trouble.

Of course if you are worried you can always just take the dust cap off when you fly so the inner and outer pressure can equalize :)

AquaTec wrote...

ONe secret i just learned if you have a weight problem with your checked in luggage, make your carey on weight the most, as they do not weigh the carey on.
That's generally true in North America, but it's not always the case on foreign airlines. British Airways and Qantas, among others, have been known to weigh carryons and refuse those found overweight.

AquaTec once bubbled...
the baggage compartment is not pressurized, my proof to this is my suntan lotion that explodes.

The baggage compartment is pressurized to the same pressure as the rest of the cabin. Think of Fido. The reason your lotion bursts is because even though the cabin is pressurized, the pressure at altitude is not the same as at sea level. When the airplane is at cruising altitude, the pressure inside is equivalent to about 7,500-8,000ft. That's enough of a pressure differential to make your lotion bottle (the insides of which were still at sea level pressure) to attempt to equalize and burst.

As for taking your regs with you it's a peace of mind thing. Your regs and your computer typically are some of the most expensive and fragile pieces of your gear and you wouldn't want them to get damaged or lost. Checked luggage takes a lot of abuse while going through the airports. However, in this more cautious world be prepared for the security personnel to ask you to open your carry-on if your regs are inside. They can look rather fishy on the x-ray scanner.

-Roman.

AquaTec once bubbled...

As an FYI - the baggage compartments on airliners ARE pressurized, however along with the cabins they are usually not pressurized to sea level, which can cause poorly sealed items to leak. Keeping the pressure and flow of fresh air lower helps conserve fuel. How else could you ship live animals in the cargo hold?

However pilots do need to remember to turn on the heat when flying pets in the hold. It gets pretty cold in there flying up that high. Hence the "dead dog" switch nickname for the heater switch.

Marc with another trivial datapoint. :jester:

The first time one of the airlines misplaces a suitcase filled with $2000 worth of your dive gear you will understand exactly why your regulator (and your computer) MUST be in your carry on.

The heck with all other considerations. Things get stolen from airports and the Warsaw convention only requires the airlines to reimburse you for $650 of lost property.

notabob once bubbled...

The baggage compartment is pressurized to the same pressure as the rest of the cabin. Think of Fido. The reason your lotion bursts is because even though the cabin is pressurized, the pressure at altitude is not the same as at sea level.

You posted while I was typing. Even with the dog reference. :)

Marc :jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom