Travel to the Philippines in 2022?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quoting a web-headline: "The Philippines has delayed reopening plans, but will focus on other tourism models."

I've given up for calendar 2022, and will do my scuba diving elsewhere, as I need to schedule my vacation time several months in advance. Maybe 2023...

I truly feel for those small businesses that invested in the Philippines and the other S.Asian countries, especially the travel industry, 3rd year income loss compounded by interest on loans, maintenance costs, taxes etc.
Useless restrictions imposed by countries that in the end achieve close to nothing. And there is Mexico for example that understands the importance of revenue from tourism to their economy, and allows the life to continue with some basic requirements such as face mask etc.
My window for going to Philippines this year just closed, Canada made it to the red list.

I can't wait for SEA to open back up. Thailand (hey, pot is legal there now), Indonesia, RoP, etc. etc.

I can't wait for SEA to open back up. Thailand (hey, pot is legal there now), Indonesia, RoP, etc. etc.
I assumed "open back up" means no restriction. Right?
I truly feel for those small businesses that invested in the Philippines and the other S.Asian countries, especially the travel industry, 3rd year income loss compounded by interest on loans, maintenance costs, taxes etc.
Useless restrictions imposed by countries that in the end achieve close to nothing. And there is Mexico for example that understands the importance of revenue from tourism to their economy, and allows the life to continue with some basic requirements such as face mask etc.
My window for going to Philippines this year just closed, Canada made it to the red list.
Mexico latest 7 day average is just under 50,000 cases while it is about 13,000 for Thailand.
Population of Mexico is about 129m while it is 70m for Thailand.
But it seems to me that Thailand has realized the important of tourism and reintroduce the "Test & go" programme. Good luck to them.

Those who have not had the omicron and travel to destinations that require a PCR prior to arrival take a lot of chances. A positive test(chances are very high), will be reported to the public health authorities which will require mandatory isolation often in a government approved location resulting in a loss of return flight or need to reschedule, extra pcr tests etc etc , leading to lots of stress and many extra expenses. It's just too complicated and too many variables.

It's only a matter of time before Duterte says something batshit crazy about the unvaccinated.

Those who have not had the omicron and travel to destinations that require a PCR prior to arrival take a lot of chances. A positive test(chances are very high), will be reported to the public health authorities which will require mandatory isolation often in a government approved location resulting in a loss of return flight or need to reschedule, extra pcr tests etc etc , leading to lots of stress and many extra expenses. It's just too complicated and too many variables.
A -ve PCR result done within 48-72hrs of your flight is more or less standard in probably every country in SE Asia. Antigen test is NOT acceptable. PCR test on arrival at destination is required in many countries if not all. I am not sure which country in this part of the world will let any newly arrival walk away freely from the airport.
It's only a matter of time before Duterte says something batshit crazy about the unvaccinated.

Said that last year:

A -ve PCR result done within 48-72hrs of your flight is more or less standard in probably every country in SE Asia. Antigen test is NOT acceptable. PCR test on arrival at destination is required in many countries if not all. I am not sure which country in this part of the world will let any newly arrival walk away freely from the airport.

Said that last year:

of course, he did. he's like an uncle with no filter.

I assumed "open back up" means no restriction. Right?

Mexico latest 7 day average is just under 50,000 cases while it is about 13,000 for Thailand.
Population of Mexico is about 129m while it is 70m for Thailand.
But it seems to me that Thailand has realized the important of tourism and reintroduce the "Test & go" programme. Good luck to them.

Cases, schmases. Omicron generates more cases but fewer hospitalizations. A lot of people might rather get a mild flu than not be able to pay the rent or feed their family.

Besides, outbreaks sweep across different areas at different times so you really can't compare two places over the past few weeks. Overall, both countries have seen similar number of cases per million population. Mexico's death rate is much higher though and since Philippines testing rate is double I attribute it to earlier detection and treatment. It's impossible to truly compare two places due to so many variables but it appears to me that all the extra restrictions haven't much reduced the number of infections but the ample testing allows them to be treated better.

Back
Top Bottom