Travel to Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are heading to Papua Explorers the end of Feb we are seeing travel advisories saying terrorism kidnappings etc in Indonesia And Papua
Has anyone been there recently we are getting concerned if we should take the risk Is it dangerous or should we give up the dream

No more dangerous than in the USA. If you check other foreign government website for there nationals traveling abroad they suggest the same precaution for traveling to the USA. Direct quote word for from the UK travel abroad government website. "Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in the USA. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners. You should monitor media reports and be vigilant at all times." Terrorism - USA travel advice so will this stop you from traveling in the US? Obviously this is just an over hype of things, just like how someone has over hyped Indonesia to make it sound unsafe. I am currently in Indonesia and have been since July diving almost everyday and can say it is very safe, I would have no issues what so ever traveling to Papua and I have several friends including myself that are on or will be on liveaboards there right now and it is totally safe.
The only major issue right now safety wise is in the Canggu/Seminyak area where all the tourist/foreigners are (yes there are ALOT of them not as busy as pre-corona but close to it). There seems to be an increase in petty theft of purses and cell phones, this has always been a problem however it seems worse than normal probably because of the lack of income to the locals due to Corona. I have some friends of friends that have been victims of this. General target is females ridding on the back of scooters with a purse on there shoulder, or riding on the back of the scooter with a cell phone in there hands texting or giving driving directions to there partner driving the scooter. What happens is someone will sneak drive next to them on a scooter and snatch the purse off there shoulder or phone out of there hands. Also seems to happen more late at night when everyone is coming home from the bar or club after partying all night.
To avoid this ladies always put your purse and phone in the little compartment under the seat of the scooter and if your taking a Gojak or Grab back from the club your diver should have no issues to put your purse under the seat of there scooter too or just take a car.

And if you check the US travel.state.gov website they have some kind of travel advisory of almost every country that is not in N. America. If you were to go by this you basically could never leave the US. For example seems like Mexico is a very popular dive destination for Americans so direct from Mexico International Travel Information website word for word:
"Rape and sexual assault are serious problems in some resort areas"
"Mexico experiences high rates of kidnapping."
"Mexican criminal organizations are engaged in a violent struggle to control trafficking routes"
"Crime in Mexico occurs at a high rate and can be violent, from random street crime to cartel-related attacks. Over the past year, Mission Mexico has assisted U.S. citizens who were victims of armed robbery, carjacking, extortion, homicide, kidnapping, pick-pocketing, and sexual assault. Increased levels of cartel-related violence have resulted in territorial disputes and targeted killings, injuring or killing innocent bystanders. Travelers who find themselves in an active shooter scenario should flee in the opposite direction, if possible, or drop to the ground, preferably behind a hard barrier."

But this does not stop Americans from flocking to Mexico by the thousands.

My wife and I are heading to Papua Explorers the end of Feb we are seeing travel advisories saying terrorism kidnappings etc in Indonesia And Papua
Has anyone been there recently we are getting concerned if we should take the risk Is it dangerous or should we give up the dream
Probably you mean West Papua, which is a province of Indonesia. Such as Papua is as well. West Papua (province) - Wikipedia . Definitely much safer than the USA, if you look at the numbers. However, I would still be very flexible in your expectations if your plan is for the coming February. At the moment the numbers of Covid-19 are very low and still going down. But there is not one single reason to think of, why we will not be in a new surge by that time.

Which country in SE Asia does not has any kind of security alert from the West?
If I have paid any attention to all those nonsenses I would have to stay at home and watching internet or TV.

If I have paid any attention to all those nonsenses I would have to stay at home and watching internet or TV.
Singapore.

Spot on!

Singapore.

Funny you mention that, I would have thought the same thing but as of today if you check Singapore International Travel Information Singapore is listed in Red as Level 4 Do Not Travel.

And Indonesia is listed below Singapore at Level 3 Reconsider Travel Indonesia International Travel Infromation

Looking at the the current situation in Europe I understand one thing. As Micheal Osterholm said, this pandemic teaches us humility. It is sort of funny to read through the discussions of the last 18 months about Indonesia, tourism and Covid-19. How wrong we all have been most of the time. The times we were right it was just a lucky guess. The same is true for the coming years. We cannot look further than 1 month ahead. Regulations for quarantine upon arrival in Indonesia can change in very short time , international flight schedules are not reliable on the long term, domestic flight schedules are not reliable at all, regulations for quarantine upon returning in your home country can change within a couple of days. Local regulations and restrictions can change almost overnight. Known "unknowns" : how long and how well will the different vaccines, including Sinovac, protect against severe illness or death by Covid-19? How much and for how long do they protect against infecting others? What are the chances a new variant of concern will arrive?
Anybody of you can think of one reason why Indonesia not will have another surge of cases with many hospitalizations early 2022? At the moment (15 November 2021) 84 million people out of 277 million had 2 shots.
Why do I write this? Not to say: do not come. If you are fully vaccinated (means soon 3 shots) and take care, you probably will have very little risk to get sick of Covid-19 here. But a false positive test upon arrival or during your stay can ruin a your holiday experience a lot. If you want to come, be very welcome, but plan very flexible, and be prepared for the unexpected.

Not to say: do not come. If you are fully vaccinated (means soon 3 shots) and take care, you probably will have very little risk to get sick of Covid-19 here. But a false positive test upon arrival or during your stay can ruin a your holiday experience a lot. If you want to come, be very welcome, but plan very flexible, and be prepared for the unexpected.

yup spot on.

being flexible and being prepared for the unexpected is 1,000% true. Rules here change every 5 minutes and do not believe anything that is posted on the internet or media unless it comes from an official Indonesia government site. Seems to be every day there is some new rumor about Indonesia opening or travel rules. Also if you want to do diving trips to remote areas you need to be very flexible. For example During the first PPKM in July I did a 1.5 month cave diving exploration trip to a very remote area of SE Sulawesi. Originally I book a flight Denpasar to BauBau with a layover in Makassar total travel time was around 6hr. However the day of my flight I was notified my flight to Makassar was cancelled (this is very common in Indonesia they cancel flights the day of, just get use to it) and there were not other flights that day or for the entire week. They cancelled all flights to Makassar via Denpasar with all airlines due to lack of passengers. So I found a flight 2 days later from Denpasar to Jakarta, Jakarta to Makassar, then Makassar to BauBau. Once I took this flight when I landed in Jakarta they told me the flight from Makassar to BauBau was cancelled and there were not flight any time soon to BauBau. So then I decided to fly from Jakarta to Makassar over night in Makassar then fly to Kendari and from Kendari I took a 9hr long public boat ride to Wangiwangi. From Wangiwangi I took another public boat to Baubua oh and then from Baubau another public boat to Muna. Total travel time was 52hr plus a 2 day delay at the start of the trip. If you look on a map the direct distance I wanted to travel was only about 800km But it was total worth it, discover a lot of epic caves and laid a lot of new line.

But a false positive test upon arrival or during your stay can ruin a your holiday experience a lot.
Yes, and it doesn't have to be false. My wife, fully vaccinated for months with Moderna's vaccine, should finish recommended quarantine (at home) this Wednesday, having tested positive at a local clinic a week ago after losing her taste and smell. Should be fine, but if we were outside the U.S., it'd be a serious problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom