Travel to Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I are interested in diving in Indonesia. It seems that getting there will take longer than we anticipated. Are there any suggestions for shaving off time on the travel there, without adding much additional cost?

I bet there is no international travel into Indonesia until late 2022 at the earliest. But to answer your question from the States there is not a super quick way. Most flights go through Tokyo, South Korea, or Singapore.

Yes, Indonesia is still closed. Hopefully it’ll be open by early next year as I have 3 trips to Indonesia, in February to Raja Ampat, in August to Sangalaki, in October to Forgotten Island. I have been to Indonesia probably about 15 times (Raja Ampat 8 times, Komodo 3 times, Alor, Banda Sea, Lembeh, WaKaToBi). I went both eastward & westward routes since Houston is about 12 hour difference with Jakarta.

From Florida it is closer to fly eastward, through Europe. I use SingaporeAir with 1 stop over in Manchester. I also went with Emirates via Dubai and Turkish Air via Istanbul. Those are the 3 most preferred airlines that I would use. No US, nor European airlines can complete with the quantity of service & fare price with them.

We would need a crystal ball to answer this. Situation now: nobody without residence permits allowed to enter at all. Not known which flight there will be in future. Not known which in tourism involved companies will be able to start gain after this pandemic.

My husband and I are interested in diving in Indonesia. It seems that getting there will take longer than we anticipated. Are there any suggestions for shaving off time on the travel there, without adding much additional cost?
You can forget all about it this yr.
Pay some attention to the virus situation in the country.
For some reasons there is NO direct flight from US to the country.

Seriously? Garuda Indonesia Plans Direct Flights From Bali To USA, France - Live and Let's Fly
Seriously?
Written Jul 2020.

Just to bring a bit of positive vibes, here in Greece tourism started around June with very small numbers for the first weeks. But we are now practically back to 2019 numbers.All within 2 months!

All these although the 4th wave (thanks to delta variant) is here, bringing a quite big increase of covid daily cases, but not so much on fatalities. Keep in mind that "only" about 55% of the population is vaccinated (and the other 45% is mostly unwilling to do so) and that daily measures have practically almost been lifted except for some activities like traveling that require vaccination certificate or negative test.

Another promising thing: after 2 years of lockdowns, restrictions etc, visitors that finally come are willing to spend much more than before!

It will take some more time for countries like Indonesia, but recovery IS coming.

My estimate: by end of the year/early 2022 things will be getting much better for long haul international traveling and by mid 2022 things will be back to almost normal even for countries like Indonesia that now are struggling.

All the best.

When the time comes, take the most direct route with least layover time. Perhaps Miami to Istanbul to Jakarta? I always fly from the west coast and have been able to make it to Singapore in as few as 21 hours but more often it's 24 and rare cases of 28-31 hours. (Singapore is a pre- and post-Indonesia stop over for me because I have family there). Regardless, before the Time of Covid, I was able to make similar timed trips to Jakarta rather than Singapore.

Not sure I'm understanding how to shave time off with regard to pricing since we don't know what itinerary or airlines you are currently considering. If you tell us, we may be able to give some suggestions that may or may not be valid when the time comes that any of us can return to Indonesia.

I bet there is no international travel into Indonesia until late 2022 at the earliest. But to answer your question from the States there is not a super quick way. Most flights go through Tokyo, South Korea, or Singapore.

Also Taiwan.

When you can actually go aside...there’s much to be said for not rushing the travel if at all possible. Trying to trim things close leaves less room for things to go wrong and can make a long trip more stressful. Allowing yourself at least an overnight someplace to rest and let your body (and possibly your luggage) adjust to the time zone is a good idea, especially if you will be getting on a liveaboard.

Even in normal times, airline schedules in Indo can be a bit...fluid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom