Travel to Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband and I are interested in diving in Indonesia. It seems that getting there will take longer than we anticipated. Are there any suggestions for shaving off time on the travel there, without adding much additional cost?

Where in Indonesia are you thinking of diving? If just a general destination like Bali which has more hotel beds than tourists you can keep waiting until things clear up.

If you're planning of booking a limited space Liveaboard or Resort you might want to check with them if they still have spaces on the dates you're hoping to travel. Many Liveaboards and Resorts have been moving 2020 and now also 2021 guests into 2022 and 2023 and some places are filling up fast.

I just had to punt my trip for late-October through November. Cathay Pacific cancelled my flight from Hong Kong to DPS.

Oh well, "Plan B" is for travel in March 2022. Fingers crossed

If we believe the data, the trends continue to go down and no new variant as bad as Delta popping out, your Plan B looks good to me. I even have a high hope for my February 2022 trip to Raja Ampat.

951E1E17-52E6-40AB-A25D-DD996C9EEB7C.jpeg

Totally unscientific, but I was emailing with Mermaid Liveaboards today about my 02JAN22 trip. They plan on making a determination for their January departures in mid-to-late October. But they included this morsel; "...the vaccination programme s (sic) going well and we are hoping it opens to tourism soon … but they are keeping mum on their plans for now..." .

Th
If we believe the data, the trends continue to go down and no new variant as bad as Delta popping out, your Plan B looks good to me. I even have a high hope for my February 2022 trip to Raja Ampat.

View attachment 680830
This graphics really means nothing. In many parts of Indonesia hardly anybody get tested. Many people get sick and stay at home, because they believe that you will die in the hospital. And when they die at home, nobody will test them as well. Unfortunately these are the same parts of the country where most people are very reluctant to get vaccinated. Nobody had 2 shots yet there. Very few their first shot. In Bitung, where I live, and the local government is doing as good as they can, numbers went up again just the last 3 days 200%. The testing (160.000 people per day out of 277 million) is still mainly done where the peaks have been. Not outside of Java, Sumatra and Kalimantan. Wait and see what will happen within 3 months at the places where the numbers now seem to go down. With 85% of the population not vaccinated yet, there are still many out there who can and will be infected.

26% has received at least one dose.
15% is fully vaccinated.
The country has a population of 270m. How long would it take to achieve 50% let alone 70 or 80%?
How long is the effectiveness of the vaccine? This is a very tricky question to ponder.

Hmmm. Our cancelled/postponed trip would have been last fall. It will depart by air charter from Bali. That looks hopeful for 2022?

Our "upcoming" Blue Manta trip next June would require getting to the boat at Labuan Bajo. How likely would that be to open up compared to Bali? We could fly from Bali but would we be allowed to? Is this likely to require postponement?

Hmmm. Our cancelled/postponed trip would have been last fall. It will depart by air charter from Bali. That looks hopeful for 2022?

Our "upcoming" Blue Manta trip next June would require getting to the boat at Labuan Bajo. How likely would that be to open up compared to Bali? We could fly from Bali but would we be allowed to? Is this likely to require postponement?

Since you’ll be on Blue Manta, I would not worry about it, just wait and see. If Indonesia is still closed, then we just need to reschedule it to a later time. I would be in a group of 6 for Raja Ampat on Blue Manta, 4 months earlier than yours, in February 2022. We just wait and see too.

My group of 8 was supposed to be going to Sangalaki on White Manta in August 2021. Since Indonesia is still closed, our trip was rescheduled to August 2022.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom