Travel fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishkrbibbl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Headed to GT Bahamas for wife's birthday and trying to pack light.

Looking for some small travel fins for snorkeling that still pack some punch.

I'm a diver and used to large, stiff fins so I'm afraid I'll hate them but REALLY want to travel small and light.

What do y'all snorkel and travel with?

Do they propel you pretty good?

Thnx - d

I bought these for my grandson but they worked surprisingly well for me (in booties). Haven't tried them for diving, only for snorkeling in calm waters.

For myself, I recently bought these and tried them couple times. They give a good thrust but have a narrow pocket. So you can't use booties, only socks. The weight is about 3.4 pounds/pair.

What do y'all snorkel and travel with?
Depends, barefoot, socks, 3mm or 5mm, open heel or full foot fins ?
What do you think you will need?
Last resort I used 5mm boots and Scubapro Go sport fins, 3mm socks and Aqualung Storm fins work just as well, and both are small enough and do the job [for me ].
The 5mm boots were great for the walk out to the snorkeling sites, the 3mm sock not so much.

Scubapro travel go or if you are set on wearing boots, then deepsix eddy flippers.

Yes. I said flippers.

What kind of snorkellling? Mixed with some shallow free diving or just surface snorkelling?

Personally I find scuba fins cumbersome for just extended surface snorkelling and I am looking at buying separate swim fins for just kicking around on the surface…

Actually posting to ask if that is “normal” or a personal “handicap” - or maybe it has something to do with positively buoyant (go-sport) fins?

Would the seasoned experts recommend negatively buoyant scuba fins instead?

Personally, I wouldn't let any airline baggage allowance dictate whatever I wore to snorkel with. My favourite fins are all-rubber Escualo Clasica full foots:

1697973805861.jpeg

Most comfortable snorkelling fins I have ever used and they are relatively lightweight too.

1697975339759.jpeg
As for the term "flippers", it can be traced right back to the mid twentieth century (see first issue - December 1951- of Skin Diver magazine above), at the very start of recreational underwater swimming. Moreover, DIN 7876 of October 1980, the German national standard for swim fins, officially translates its title "Schwimmflossen: Maße, Anforderungen und Prüfung" into English as "Flippers: dimensions, requirements and testing".

Depends, barefoot, socks, 3mm or 5mm, open heel or full foot fins ?
What do you think you will need?
Last resort I used 5mm boots and Scubapro Go sport fins, 3mm socks and Aqualung Storm fins work just as well, and both are small enough and do the job [for me ].
The 5mm boots were great for the walk out to the snorkeling sites, the 3mm sock not so much.
Sizing accurate?

Check on line for the mental health hot line.
Check their website. Seriously.

Back
Top Bottom