Travel BC vs. BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the ZET isn't bad, 6.5lbs, and at just under $400 you can't argue the price though that is without ripcord. For that style rig, I still prefer the Dive Rite Hunterpac, but I'll advocate every time to step up to the DSS Kydex rigs as they are much more versatile.

yup...
$460 for a DSS kydex rig with LCD20 wing that weighs less...
$390 for the Dive Rite Hunterpac
the ZET just doesn't work out $$ wise

what is wrong with an aluminum Lightweight Back-Plates and travel wing? . . . The OP was looking for a travel bc, so saving 6# using an al backplate and smaller wing for travel is much cheaper than buying a new "travel only" bc. Also the 6# is cheaper than the $25 per trip for airline weight allowance when using the steel plate. A al plate can be found for under a under $100 and will last for years/
There is nothing 'wrong' with an AL plate. I have one. For that matter, there is also nothing wrong with the lighter weight (2lb) SS plates. Or, one of the 'soft' backplates (e.g. the Apeks Travel Plate). There may be consequences, in terms of weight distribution.

What the OP actually asked for is 'advice?'. So, my 'advice' is to travel with what he already has, particularly if that rig already works for him, and not spend money on a different BCD, be it a 'travel' BCD or a lighter plate, just for travel. Because that is unnecessary. I don't spend more money on bags when I travel, because I have optimized the distribution of weight, between my carry-ons and my checked bags. If the OP wants to spend money, he already has indicated that he may opt for a slightly smaller, more streamlined wing for routine use (which would presumably serve him well for travel as well). Good for him. I readily acknowledge that it is his money and he can ultimately spend it anyway he chooses. My 'advice' would be to spend it on the newer, smaller, streamlined wing.

I personally benefit from the weight of a SS BP, to help avoid strapping on additional lead - again, all of this is personal preference, and the OP's bioprene quotient may be different than mine. :) If I use an AL plate, or a soft plate, with a single cylinder, I end up strapping 4 lbs of lead on my waist, which is below my center of lift, and I end up with trim issues as a consequence of using a lighter plate. Yes, I could put trim pockets on my upper cylinder band, and put 4 lbs of weigh in there. But, that moves the weight away from my body and subtly influences my longitudinal axis stability. Why do either? The SS BP puts that weight where I want it - immediately adjacent to, and spread across, my physiologic center of lift. And, that is true whether I am diving locally, or whether I dive when I travel. The principles of physics and physiology are the same. I do find an AL plate to be very useful - for diving double steels.

I am not suggesting that my 'advice' is somehow better. And, none of this may apply to the OP. But, since he already uses a SS plate, quite possibly it does. Why change what is already working, if you don't need to? Just my 'advice'.

Last edited:
. . .
The weight and bulk are a liability while traveling to locations where I'll only be diving with a single tank and minimal ballast.
. . .

I recently returned from 2-1/2 weeks in Indonesia with my DSS steel plate and Torus 26 wing. The steel plate is ideal for diving with a thin to no wetsuit and an aluminum 80, as I only needed around 2-3 pounds of lead (in trim pouches on the cambands). This is not my first such trip, either. Sure, the idea of replacing in my baggage 4 lbs. or so of steel with a few more shirts or another pair of shoes or some souvenirs is tempting. My bag is right at 50 lbs. But the steel plate works just too well. Heck, you can always buy a clean t-shirt from the dive shop if you run short. The kydex plate sounds cool, but I LIKE the weight of the steel plate, and I don't like the idea of a weight belt if I can get away without one.

As far as "bulk" is concerned, I don't see how any other BC, such as those marketed as "travel" BCs, could possibly be less bulky. I remove the wing and fold it in half, just as it came to me in the mail when I bought it from DSS, and place it in my dive bag on top of my wetsuit, which cushions it against direct contact with harder stuff like the plate, lights, regs, etc. I am not familiar with other DSS wings, but the Torus packs as flat as a pancake (well, okay, there's the inflator hose). As I usually remove the cambands for packing and replace them at my destination, the plate too packs pretty flat--the relatively shallow bend helps--and the rest of the harness doesn't seem to really get in the way. The plate plus wing surely must occupy just a few inches of depth in the bag. All said, the BP/W packs much more compactly than my old back-inflate BC. I don't see how anything could pack more compactly than a relatively flat plate and relatively flat wing.

Thank you all for the replies. I'm coming increasingly to the conclusion that it will be hard to improve much upon what I already have. Which is good to figure out without spending $350 or whatever on shiny new kit.

I've only traveled by air once with my dive gear. If I recall correctly, I put my fins, linecutter, and some of the neoprene in my checked bag, and everything else in my carry on. It made for a heavy and full carry on.

I have a DSS stainless steel backplate, DIR harness, and two wings (older 30# DSS and a 55# Hollis). It's been with me in the ocean and also in the local rivers, lakes, and mud puddles. I like it in the water, although with time I may get a newer, smaller capacity, more streamlined donut wing.

The weight and bulk are a liability while traveling to locations where I'll only be diving with a single tank and minimal ballast.

I'm tempted by products like the Aeris (now Oceanic) Jetpack. Light weight, less bulk, back inflate, adjustable harness like a BP/W, designed for travel.

On the other hand there are lightweight BP/W options to consider.

Any advice?
I would just go diving and have some nice dinners instead of wasting money on a "travel" BC (whatever that is anyways). Alternatively buy a smaller wing like an LCD 20, go diving, and have fewer nice dinners.

I would just go diving and have some nice dinners instead of wasting money on a "travel" BC (whatever that is anyways). Alternatively buy a smaller wing like an LCD 20, go diving, and have fewer nice dinners.

eh, the LCD30 is close enough to the LCD20 that as long as you aren't using AL63's I wouldn't worry about getting another wing

oxycheq / apeks travel plate is another option with a one piece wing. with plastic buckles/drings/sliders, you can get that down to 4 pounds or so if you really are hurting on weight.

Back
Top Bottom