Travel BC vs. BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a DSS stainless steel backplate, DIR harness, and two wings (older 30# DSS and a 55# Hollis). It's been with me in the ocean and also in the local rivers, lakes, and mud puddles. I like it in the water, although with time I may get a newer, smaller capacity, more streamlined donut wing.

The weight and bulk are a liability while traveling to locations where I'll only be diving with a single tank and minimal ballast.

I'm tempted by products like the Aeris (now Oceanic) Jetpack. Light weight, less bulk, back inflate, adjustable harness like a BP/W, designed for travel.

On the other hand there are lightweight BP/W options to consider.

Any advice?

Dive Rite HunterPac BCD | Dive Gear Express®

Can't say enough good things about this BC. At 6 lbs. it's light for travel, yet robust enough for big steel tanks. My only complaint is the tank rides a little high, so you'll want to adjust the harness shoulder straps so the back sits lower. Basically it's an integrated webbing harness with a soft back pad and integrated donut wing.

I dive BP/W at home, but use a travel BC south. The pockets come in handy. I use a Zeagle Scout. It has minimal lift, but it also has some nice little trim pockets to carry the 6# of lead I need with my 3mm suit. I sometimes sling an 80 stage as well, and it supports both tanks no problem.

I love the thing...

Regs go in the carry-on, so they don't contribute to the luggage weight and I just say pack the BP/W and pack a few less clothes.

the hunterpac is the only one you should consider IF you are trying to save weight, but it still weighs 6.2lbs. I'm not sure how you are thinking that something can pack with less bulk than your DSS rig though.... You can cut some weight out of it by switching to a kydex plate, but I'm not aware of anything that actually packs smaller and lighter than the DSS Kydex rigs with a small singles wing...

the hunterpac is the only one you should consider IF you are trying to save weight, but it still weighs 6.2lbs. I'm not sure how you are thinking that something can pack with less bulk than your DSS rig though.... You can cut some weight out of it by switching to a kydex plate, but I'm not aware of anything that actually packs smaller and lighter than the DSS Kydex rigs with a small singles wing...

You may be right. I don't have the Kydex plate in hand, nor the smaller wing, nor for that matter a travel BC, so I really have no idea what the difference would be.

Regs go in the carry-on, so they don't contribute to the luggage weight and I just say pack the BP/W and pack a few less clothes.

This is what I have done. I have even debated separating the wing from the BP and taking my BP on my carry-on as well.

With a the current weight limits I've never had an issue taking a SS plate with me. If you're pushing the limits, just put the regulators in your carry on. I usually try to fit the wing there too, to prevent potential damage in transit.

Back
Top Bottom