Travel BC vs. BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a DSS stainless steel backplate, DIR harness, and two wings (older 30# DSS and a 55# Hollis). . . . The weight and bulk are a liability while traveling to locations where I'll only be diving with a single tank and minimal ballast. I'm tempted by products like the Aeris (now Oceanic) Jetpack. Light weight, less bulk, back inflate, adjustable harness like a BP/W, designed for travel. On the other hand there are lightweight BP/W options to consider. Any advice?
As the replies already suggest, there may be a lot of advice and thoughts, all are based on personal preference, and all presumably work for the poster offering the advice. IOW, there isn't one (and only one) universal 'right' approach.

My personal preference: I travel with a 6lb SS BP, and an 18 or 30 pound wing. The BP (sans wing) goes in my carry-on backpack (in the laptop compartment), along with my reg. I check other gear (wing, neoprene, fins). I also have an AL BP, I have 3 'soft' BPs, and I could probably save weight with one of them. But, I prefer my SS for single cylinder, warm water diving, so that is what I travel with. The last thing I would do is buy yet another BCD just for travel, particularly when my SS BP travels very nicely, and I already have several lower weight options (which would be better for me than a separate 'travel' BCD), that I don't even use.

Again, that is my personal preference, and that works well for me. YRMV.

Last edited:
nothing inherently wrong with them, but if you aren't using it often and are only buying it for irregular use, then it doesn't make sense to invest. They then require extra lead to be worn when you travel. You can travel just fine with a stainless plate, so why not use what you have?

I use a Aqualung Zuma travel BC and while I like it I have to say durability has not been one of its strong points. 2 x RA liveaboards, a few dives in Thailand, a few dives in the Mascarenes with the associated air baggage beatings in two years have left one I. Weight pocket handle snapped, the other integrated pocket slipped out at depth in Thailand, tried using it with dumpy 12l steels in Reunion Island and found its either a tank positioning issue or its self inflating. Will be going in for a service/diagnosis/autopsy tomorrow. At home I use a cheap ugly old Dacor bcd that's stood up to 15 times more travel and diving here including under hulls so I kind of expected better durability.

nothing inherently wrong with them, but if you aren't using it often and are only buying it for irregular use, then it doesn't make sense to invest. They then require extra lead to be worn when you travel. You can travel just fine with a stainless plate, so why not use what you have?

The OP was looking for a travel bc, so saving 6# using an al backplate and smaller wing for travel is much cheaper than buying a new "travel only" bc. Also the 6# is cheaper than the $25 per trip for airline weight allowance when using the steel plate. A al plate can be found for under a under $100 and will last for years/

you only save about 4lbs for reference, and since he has a DSS plate that packs basically flat, there are better options to buying another backplate and harness that you don't need

you only save about 4lbs for reference, and since he has a DSS plate that packs basically flat, there are better options to buying another backplate and harness that you don't need

My old dui(for northeast diving) bc was 12# vs my new travel bc# which is 6#. I usually just get up the the airline limit when traveling. My last trip I was 50.6#. They made me take my slippers out of the bag the get under 50.5#.

If i remove some steel d-rings i might get another # off. Unfortunately, now, i do not travel with all the gear I like. I leave my small pelican case home, and use a watertight kitchen plastic container for my dry box. I leave some save-a-dive kit home, to save more #s, if I know the vacation place can have spare parts.

I did buy some travel finns to save weight, but did not like them so went back to my non travel finns for 4+#s.

so that is relevant how? You only mention changing to an aluminum plate, standard aluminum plates are 2lbs, standard SS plates are 4lbs, ergo when you change from stainless to aluminum, you only save 4lbs. If you are changing the wing, harness, use of an STA or not, going from SS to composite cam buckles, then you have to specify, because you can't take 6lbs off of a rig by switching the backplate since the backplate itself only weighs 6lbs....

total rig weight for a "travel" kit from Deep Sea Supply is a smidgen 6lbs, that is harness, wing, cam bands, etc. Using a plastic buckle, and leaving off the tail d-ring. Swap to a SS plate and going to a stainless plate would bring that to right around 9lbs. Not bad for travel. My travel rig is a bit heavier since I have a long pattern plate, so all in is around 12lbs *I leave the metal buckle and tail d-ring on since I don't change anything from my normal rig. 12lbs is not bad at all and I offset this by putting things like my regulators in my carryon. I can also put the plate in carryon if I so choose.

Last edited:
I just say where i save weight and where I do not. It is an individual preference.

My carry on luggage might weigh more the my checked luggage. If I ever go to asia where they check the weight of carry on, I will be screwed.

I also have all my photo gear to deal with.

I just use my Zeagle Express Tech for travel. Uber light weight and I can get weights when I get where I am going. But, I got mine for a steal from leisure pro as a demo. I would not go and spend what they want for them now, unless you can find a used one in great shape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom