Transporting The Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never transport cylinders in the passenger compartment of a car, always in the boot, strapped down side to side, not forwards or backwards. In a van I would put them in standing upright.

If a valve was to come out of a pressurised cylinder, its like a bullet from a gun, I'd sooner it went sideways rather than through a windscreen or rear screen in a car.

Yeah-- the one in the back is right ready to go for the first dive. I usually use only one per day. If I have others to be filled/serviced I drop them off at the shop first, rather than have them in the car--don't have to worry about heat that way, even here in N.S.

When you mentioned strapping the cylinder to the BCD, I thought, might as well as just set up the kit ready to throw straight on lol, more dive time :)

I never transport cylinders in the passenger compartment of a car, always in the boot, strapped down side to side, not forwards or backwards. In a van I would put them in standing upright.

If a valve was to come out of a pressurised cylinder, its like a bullet from a gun, I'd sooner it went sideways rather than through a windscreen or rear screen in a car.

That's a good point, my diving instructor always drilled into me that if a valve was to get knocked off its like a missile going off....

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and advice, think this weekend I will do a dummy run with loading up the van, I will have a better idea when it comes to dive day.

I usually have a lot of tanks and a few divers. Hard gear boxes behind the mid seats and bridging the gap (3/4 plywood if no hard boxes), tanks laid down and valves towards the rear. Wedged in with soft bags. I try to get the tanks on top of the rear axle for weight.

TNQL6489.JPG

I usually have a lot of tanks and a few divers. Hard gear boxes behind the mid seats and bridging the gap (3/4 plywood if no hard boxes), tanks laid down and valves towards the rear. Wedged in with soft bags. I try to get the tanks on top of the rear axle for weight.

View attachment 648300

I'm thinking a similar set up, just put some soft bags like my drysuit and under suit in front of the valves the give them some protection.

When you mentioned strapping the cylinder to the BCD, I thought, might as well as just set up the kit ready to throw straight on lol, more dive time :)
No. Not a great idea to attach the reg. I used to do that and actually turned the air on (.....!) before starting the drive. Brake on and something hit the reg purge button. Quick stop, turn off air. But you can get all the integrated weights into the BC, so other than the reg, you are set to go at the site. The weights in the BC pockets really secures the tank.

I'm really not crazy about putting a tank in the passenger seat (on floor & surrounding it with coats, etc.). But am a bit lazy and don't want to put all 4 in the back and drag out the needed coats/blankets, other objects needed to secure all 4. Plus, taking all 4 only happens when I need fills and the shop is close by.

I transport my cylinders standing up in a rack that I made. When I have to lay them down to transport I face the valve inward so if hit from behind less chance the valve is damaged. The cylinder is going go the opposite direction of the valve so if it's facing to the back of the vehicle it's going at the passengers. The valve will loose energy quickly but the cylinder has the pressure so it will more than likely go straight then spin I would rather that happen outside my vehicle.

I transport my cylinders standing up in a rack that I made. When I have to lay them down to transport I face the valve inward so if hit from behind less chance the valve is damaged. The cylinder is going go the opposite direction of the valve so if it's facing to the back of the vehicle it's going at the passengers. The valve will loose energy quickly but the cylinder has the pressure so it will more than likely go straight then spin I would rather that happen outside my vehicle.
Very, very, very unlikely a valve will come free. However, very likely a valve will become a pointed object and be propelled through the seat. It happened to a friend when (contrary to another post here), he was hit from behind. Always face valve to rear, never ever to the front.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom