Transporting The Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never understood the reasoning of putting valves to the trunk of the car. This basically ensures that in a heavy accident you get torpedo'd by your tanks.

Is this something that has just been accepted as common practice through the years, or is there any real evidence that this is safer?

I've never heard of valves shooting off and killing someone unless it was an accident caused by m25 / g3/4 threads being swapped, but in that case it's logical because the valve is not correctly sealing. You can literally look through the entire internet and see people jumping on valves, hammering valves, shooting tanks etc. And the valve basically never presents a major threat except flying maybe one or two meters away even in the worst scenario's.

The tank however always acts as if it's desperately trying to sink the Wilhem Gustloff.

I'm not closing the book entirely on pointing my valves to the back of the car, but at the moment It feels to me it might not be the safest option at all...

I mentioned this earlier in the thread and was basically told I was dumb for suggesting this. All the regulatory agencies having anything to do with compressed gas cylinders recommend transporting them secured standing up with a valve protector in place if possible. I made a rack for the back of my truck that holds them standing up but if I have to lay them down the valve is facing into the vehicle and the butt of the cylinder facing out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom