Transpac or bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own a transpac and for the most part love it. Walking with a full gear setup is effortless. Still working on getting everything rigged and streamlined. However it does tend to be a bit bulky, and is quite a pain to pack for travel. I'm definitely looking to get a simpler rig next bonus time, either a small weight integrated jacked, or a BP and smaller wing. ( I have the trek wing now )

Have you read the millions and millions of threads on the subject of BP/W vs standard BCs, and on the hogarthian vs deluxe harnesses? Go over to the BC forum and start reading, in a few months you'll be finished (if you read every day) and then if you still have any interest in diving you can make up your mind.

There's very little doubt that a backplate will work better for doubles. No matter what anyone on this or any other thread will say about it, most doubles divers use backplates, and there's a good reason for that.

The transpac is a well made thing, but it was designed from the beginning to be used carrying tanks on land for dives that required a long walk to the entry point. The function of gear on land has very little to do with how it works in the water where the weighting and balance is completely different. It was also designed to be versatile and as such it's probably not ideal for any one thing, definitely not doubles.

The comment about backplates feeling like a straightjacket is absolutely false, nobody else that I've ever seen using one or even read a post by about them says anything like that. In truth the simple hog harness provides a much better feeling of freedom than most other systems because there's far less clutter on the harness, the shoulder straps are typically looser than other types of harnesses, and the whole thing kind of disappears when you're in the water. At least that's the overwhelming majority experience of people that have used both the BP/W with hog harness and other BC/harness systems.

My 3 normal dive buddies all use transpacs with travel wings, and love them. It is almost exclusively warm water single tank diving, with the very occasional doubles tech dive.

I may consider a BP/W down the line if my zeagle ever wears out or I decide that diving doubles interests me.

I have been using a BP for about 10 years now and have a few including an ultra light (Oxycheq). My wife was fairly happy with her old jacket and wanted no part of that metal plate on her back. She does have some neck and back problems She finally switched to a transpac about 2 years ago and she finds it reasonably comfortable even for the hikes to the water. It is well padded and distributes the weight between the shoulders and the hips. But it is a fairly heavy rig for packing and pretty buoyant so she ends up with more lead than she should need. Plus it holds a good bit of water after the dive which is more weight to carry to get back to the car. She is now starting to talk about a light weight BP/W for travel.

Although it did not cause an emergency a plastic sex-bolt failed on a Transpac that I loaned to my newphew resulting in his cylinder flopping about ruining a otherwise stellar day diving. Why use a plastic bolt? Did I say I would not buy the rig if it was $6.00 more? You cannot compare Halcyon, Deepsea Supply, Golem to Dive Rite, the others are far superior....

Mine doesn't have plastic. New ones come with them, I think just to hold it together in transit, but I don't know anyone who would actually assemble the scuba using them :banghead:

I use plastic sex bolts on my STA-less rigs. What is the potential problem? They just hole the wing in place until the tank straps are fastened.

I like the SS sex bolts over the plastic ones, but they are expensive.

Yes, the plastic bolt just holds the wing to the TransPac or if using a BP the wing to the BP. Cable ties can also be used. Might want to keep a couple of cable ties in a save a dive kit.

The tank is held on with the tank cam band straps. The cam straps will also lock the wing in place.

I don't understand this plastic sex bolt breaking thus causing the tank to flop around issue either. My Transpac's wing is laced to the BC via the tank cam strap. Sex bolt (not needed) has nothing to do with keeping anything in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom