Transpac or bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It defiantly assists in stablizing the rig otherwise they would not ship the units with the $6 SS bolt.

Now I'm really confused. Did your Transpac come with SS sex bolt or plastic sex bolt? You mentioned that the plastic sex bolt broke that caused the tank to flop around, and now you're talking about the units being shipped with $6 SS bolts.

Mine came with a plastic sex bolt just simply for holding things together for shipping. I took it off when I attached the wing to the Transpac via the cam straps.

My Transplate with SS backplate comes with no sex bolts; plastic or steel. I could have laced the wing directly to the hard plate via the cam straps but I chose to add the single tank adaptor (SMP in Dive Rite parlance) and that single tank adaptor came with two sets of stainless steel wing nuts.

I'm not a Dive Rite product expert but I find it hard to believe that Dive Rite would advocate using those flimsy plastic sex bolts for any sort of load bearing purposes.

Let's try another way. Why do you beleive they build with a sex bolt attaching the wing to the harness?

Let's try it another way. Did you read the instruction manual that came with the Transpac & wing that shows the proper way to mount the wing to the Transpac? Please show me where in the manual it calls for mounting the wing to the Transpac with plastic sex bolts.

Let's try another way. Why do you beleive they build with a sex bolt attaching the wing to the harness?

I already posted why, then I backed it up with evidence, what more could you possible need?

Let me know what you find out. Here's my list of supporting evidence.

Perhaps an uncomfortable name... Scuba sex bolts use a male and female combination to attach various accessories to a TransPac harness or to a hard backplate (such as lift bag pouches, suit inflation mounting systems and sidemount buttplates). Another common use for the scuba sex bolts is to secure the wing to the TransPac harness or hard backplate when rigged for a single tank--When the BCD is taken off a single tank (perhaps to swap tanks between dives), the cam straps alone are not enough to keep the wing neatly attached to the harness. Designed to fit through a 3/8" hole, the scuba sex bolts aka Dive rite stainless steel assembly screws, include O-rings that create friction to help keep the screw in place.

Scuba Sex Bolts reviews and discounts, Dive Rite

Dive Rite stainless steel assembly screws (also known as sex bolts) are used to secure any wing to the back plate for single cylinder diving. When used for this purpose, the assembly screws keep the wing firmly attached to the plate, preventing dislocation when changing cylinders.

Dive Rite Stainless Steel Assembly Screws

The stainless steel assembly screws are used for attaching various accessories to a TransPac harness or to a hard backplate (such as lift bag pouches, suit inflation mounting systems and sidemount buttplates). Another common use is to secure the wing to the TransPac harness or hard backplate when rigged for a single tank--When the BCD is taken off a single tank (perhaps to swap tanks between dives), the cam straps alone are not enough to keep the wing neatly attached to the harness. Designed to fit through a 3/8” hole, the Stainless Steel Assembly Screws include O-rings that create friction to help keep the screw in place. Sold individually.

Dive Rite Assembly Screw (Sex Bolt) [HW1069] - $7.64 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

Let's try it another way. Did you read the instruction manual that came with the Transpac & wing that shows the proper way to mount the wing to the Transpac? Please show me where in the manual it calls for mounting the wing to the Transpac with plastic sex bolts.

:D

You just can't fix some things.

I'm just saying..

Now I'm really confused. Did your Transpac come with SS sex bolt or plastic sex bolt? You mentioned that the plastic sex bolt broke that caused the tank to flop around, and now you're talking about the units being shipped with $6 SS bolts.

Mine came with a plastic sex bolt just simply for holding things together for shipping. I took it off when I attached the wing to the Transpac via the cam straps.

My Transplate with SS backplate comes with no sex bolts; plastic or steel. I could have laced the wing directly to the hard plate via the cam straps but I chose to add the single tank adaptor (SMP in Dive Rite parlance) and that single tank adaptor came with two sets of stainless steel wing nuts.

I'm not a Dive Rite product expert but I find it hard to believe that Dive Rite would advocate using those flimsy plastic sex bolts for any sort of load bearing purposes.

First, this involves only the transpac. In fairness to DR the rig is about 7 years old and from what you state they now ship with SS bolts. They are there for a purpose and that is stability. I called DR a few days after and they defiantly recommended replacing with a SS sex bolt. Let me clarify, DR is a very successful company who produces much better than average products. I own two transpacs for guest and friend usage. They just seem to be all over the place with redesigning their wing designs every few years. I am a bit perturbed at the moment because I had to replace a 18 month old Venture wing last week as it was leaking quite badly. I will get over it soon...

Last edited:
It's not an argument...

It's not an argument, it's just contradiction. An argument is a collective series of statements to establish a definite proposition...

:d

First, this involves only the transpac. In fairness to DR the rig is about 7 years old and from what you state they now ship with SS bolts. The are there for a purpose and that is stability. I called DR a few days after and they defiantly recommended replacing with a SS sex bolt. Let me clarify, DR is a very seccessful company who produces much better than average products. I own two transpacs for guest and friend usage. They just seem to be all over the place with redesigning their wing designs every few years. I am a bit perturbed at the moment because I had to replace a 18 month old Venture wing last week as it was leaking quite badly. I will get over it soon...

I never said that the Transpac was shipped with SS sex bolts.

Mine came with ONE plastic sex bolt that loosely held the BC and wing together for shipping. I took it off and then I laced the wing to the Transpac via the cam straps. Done deal. Apparently one can use the SS sex bolts to hold the wing to the Transpac for additional convenience (according to Dive Rite). But the cam straps are what hold the wing to the soft plate and they are the ones bearing all the weight of the tank. So even if you were to have kept the plastic sex bolt in, I still can't see how its breakage would cause a tank go flopping around.

It's not an argument, it's just contradiction. An argument is a collective series of statements to establish a definite proposition...

:d

Nice!

First, this involves only the transpac. In fairness to DR the rig is about 7 years old and from what you state they now ship with SS bolts. The are there for a purpose and that is stability.

What was the name of the person you spoke with? No one else seems to have this information and it would be a benefit to the diving community to get this out in the open.

I called DR a few days after and they defiantly recommended replacing with a SS sex bolt. Let me clarify, DR is a very seccessful company who produces much better than average products. I own two transpacs for guest and friend usage. They just seem to be all over the place with redesigning their wing designs every few years. I am a bit perturbed at the moment because I had to replace a 18 month old Venture wing last week as it was leaking quite badly. I will get over it soon...

You should post this information in the manufacturers forum. This is good stuff, and they should be aware of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom