Transpac or bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work on a dive boat on the weekends here in NJ and I have seen them fail with some degree of regularity. Not usually some catastrophic failure at depth, but typically on the way to - or on - the boat. They get caught in a car door, slammed in the tailgate of a pickup, someone puts/drops a tank on one,

PS - a hog harness is certainly much less expensive. Another good reason to give it a try first!

So, these plastic clips "failed" because the user/owner directly damaged it. Last I checked, there are no tailgates or car doors to be slammed against under water. If these plastic clips were to fail all on their own instead of somebody slamming against them with hard objects and under force, that's another story.

Hog harnesses are great unless you have grenade shrapnels in your shoulder and preclude your shoulder to move in a certain manners.:wink:

Although it did not cause an emergency a plastic sex-bolt failed on a Transpac that I loaned to my newphew resulting in his cylinder flopping about ruining a otherwise stellar day diving. Why use a plastic bolt? Did I say I would not buy the rig if it was $6.00 more? You cannot compare Halcyon, Deepsea Supply, Golem to Dive Rite, the others are far superior....

I'd say that came from someone that never dived extensively in any of them, and I own all of them. You must be a dealer of $900 BP/W rigs.

Or hoping to be.

Last edited:
So, these plastic clips "failed" because the user/owner directly damaged it. Last I checked, there are no tailgates or car doors to be slammed against under water. If these plastic clips were to fail all on their own instead of somebody slamming against them with hard objects and under force, that's another story.

Hog harnesses are great unless you have grenade shrapnels in your shoulder and preclude your shoulder to move in a certain manners.:wink:
Nothing a Leatherman and a decent magnet can't fix. Man up :wink:

I own a transpac and for the most part love it. Walking with a full gear setup is effortless. Still working on getting everything rigged and streamlined. However it does tend to be a bit bulky, and is quite a pain to pack for travel.

I took off the padded lumbar support, the padded hip section and some additional bit of padding, I don't remember what, over a three month period when I was first using my Transpac for singles diving, and that reduces the bulkiness considerably, plus made it less floaty in the water. I still like my Transpac for singles diving, and it weighs less than my aluminum backplate for air travel.

I like the SS sex bolts over the plastic ones, but they are expensive.

Yes, the plastic bolt just holds the wing to the TransPac or if using a BP the wing to the BP. Cable ties can also be used. Might want to keep a couple of cable ties in a save a dive kit.

The tank is held on with the tank cam band straps. The cam straps will also lock the wing in place.

I use these Oxycheq Mini Single Tank Adaptors (M-STA) [ROWB-06-04] - $24.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!! with a backplate, wouldn't they work with a transpac also?

I think STA's are designed for BP's not soft harnesses.

I have the DR STA on my TransPlate SS BP.

Golem Gear has a built in STA on their 30# wing. Works rather well and eliminates the need for added hardware. It's my go to wing for single tank dives.

I don't understand this plastic sex bolt breaking thus causing the tank to flop around issue either. My Transpac's wing is laced to the BC via the tank cam strap. Sex bolt (not needed) has nothing to do with keeping anything in place.

I am assuming you removed your sex bolt? They come from the factory with one in place. If unneeded let DR know and they will save a bundle over the course of the next several years....

Golem Gear has a built in STA on their 30# wing. Works rather well and eliminates the need for added hardware. It's my go to wing for single tank dives.

I thought you were a DR guy...Defending one of the sources I lauded? I am confused...

..... I am confused...

That's apparent.

You claimed they were FAR superior. That simply isn't the case in the least bit.

Back
Top Bottom