Transpac/OMS IQ vs a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

letsgodiving

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok here is a question for the BP/W hog harness brigade:

I have seen plenty of threads about which BP/W set up to buy on various forums, I have even asked for advise myself. When people mention the soft style harnesses like Tanspac or OMS IQ the response is usually get an hog and SS instead.

I am mainly looking at the OMS and Transpac to get away from the clutter of a BC. I also want to keep it as light as possible for traveling so the SS and STA isn't appealing.

So which is better (i.e improves the diving experience), a good quality lightweight BC OR a rig using the Traspac/OMS IQ.

Let me start by saying that I'm neither hardcore BP/W or BCD. When I tried on a transpac, to me it felt just like my bcd. In my opinion, the only benefit is to be able to change the wing for different applications. If you want the versatility, just go with the transpac type harness. Also, you could always go with an aluminum backplate to save on some weight on the rig for travelling, should you decide to go with a hog harness. Either way, they will all perform well, and will get you out diving.

Having a rigid (metal) backplate does seem to make the setup much more comfortable on the surface too. Your tank weight is evenly distributed across the plate and to me it just felt awesome...

Hi there,

I hope you don't mind if we offer an opinion; you are asking a great question and one we get frequently.

It sounds like you are wanting a great travel BC. The question is whether to invest in a jacket or harness/wing, correct?

The first thing you want to look at is how a jacket fits into your suitcase vs. a harness/wing. The first time I traveled with my jacket BC, it took up half of my STORM suitcase. The second time I traveled with my harness/wing, it took a fifth of my suitcase, which meant I had room for extra goodies like a spare wetsuit. You can try this same exercise at your local dive shop; just bring your suitcase along.

Next, you want to think carefully about your future in diving. I began with a great jacket BC and never, ever would have thought I would dive anything other than shallow reef diving. Six months later, I was in the Florida springs taking a cavern course and watching my shiny new BC get modified with duct tape and zip ties to make it safe for the cavern environment. Now, I am not talking about becoming a cave diver, I mean just doing beautiful open water caverns or really cool wrecks - you will find that a harness/wing combination gives you the trim you need to avoid kicking up the bottom and the streamlining to attach the accessories required (such as a reel, lights, etc.) that a jacket BC does not. With a harness/wing you have the ability to transition to other dive environments in the future. Even if you don't, you still have a great buoyancy compensator that will have you trimmed out in the water and better able to carry accessories for a night dive or open ocean dive that requires a seeme, etc.

Finally, if you do decide on the harness/wing...which one is right for you? That has a lot to do with personal preference. Our TransPac and TransPlate systems are designed to carry weight like a hiker's backpack - putting less strain on the shoulders and distributing the bulk of the load to the hips. This concept was designed after a cave exploration in Japan where our company founder had to carry his tanks in the mountains. The TransPac was so comfortable with heavy doubles that it became the harness of choice and is the latest innovation in harnesses.

We all dive the TransPac and TransPlate here and find them not only comfortable, but rugged and durable for our technical diving. Sounds like you don't need extra weight, so why not try a TransPac? You'll get the weight load distribution and have a harness that you can customize to fit you perfectly. Or come by one of our remaining Tech Tours and try a TransPac, a TransPlate and a Basic Harness - they are all good options and simply depend on what you want to do with your diving.

Check out our Tech Tours at http://www.diverite.com/tour/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kathleen

Dive Rite:
I hope you don't mind if we offer an opinion; you are asking a great question and one we get frequently.

It sounds like you are wanting a great travel BC. The question is whether to invest in a jacket or harness/wing, correct?

Cheers,
Kathleen

It will be my primary BC but I want something compact and good for travel. Actually we tend to only do boat dives and when you are wedged into a 20"-24" slot the clutter of a standard BC is a pain in the butt.

Given the choice of the Transpac OR Transplate with an aluminum BP, which would you prefer to use for single tank recreational diving?

Only you know the answer... The idea is to get something that fits you well and make you comfortable underwater and the kind of diving you do. I tried the Transpac once and didn't like it... However when I tried the Dive rite Transplate, I was sold... This was the best BC I ever dived with... It was right for me and I bought it. Since most of my diving is beach/rock/reef entry diving, the shoulder pads do make a difference. I also like the fact that the harness comes with quick realease.
I also like to add that I had to deal with Dive Rite customer service once and had a very positive experience. They were extremely responsive and very friendly.

As much as we all want a multi purpose tool, I find that there is usually one tool that is best for any given job. Because I dive both doubles and singles, las fall I add a couple soft packs to our dive locker for my girlfriend and I. Although it's neither of the ones you mentioned, I went with Oxycheq's O or A(I forget which)Pack-Lite. I think the biggest difference from a jacket one can make, is the addition of a crotch strap so that nothing rides up at the surface and so that everything can be kept snug while prone underwater. I was curious if my GF would enjou the new BC or not. Although she grumbled ever so slightly about the bit of time we spent setting it up on the dry, once she dove the thing her tune completely changed. She loved it and commented on how much more stable everything felt.

The difference between the soft pack and steel plate for me, is that I don't feel the soft pack is as secure or strong when lugging steel tanks around on the surface. Underwater, there's not much weight being distributed in any direction so little difference there. Typically my single tank dives are shallow, with less exposure protection and not infrequently crammed together with friends on a too small boat. For this the narrow profile, soft, scratch and ding free nature, and light weight of the softpack make it my choice. I caveat this with the fact that the steel plate does offer some negative bouyancy and so if I'm diving the same wetsuit I would have to add that amount when diving the soft pack.

Don't know if that helps, but there's my 2 cents,

somewhereinla:
Only you know the answer... The idea is to get something that fits you well and make you comfortable underwater and the kind of diving you do. I tried the Transpac once and didn't like it... However when I tried the Dive rite Transplate, I was sold... This was the best BC I ever dived with... It was right for me and I bought it. Since most of my diving is beach/rock/reef entry diving, the shoulder pads do make a difference. I also like the fact that the harness comes with quick realease.
I also like to add that I had to deal with Dive Rite customer service once and had a very positive experience. They were extremely responsive and very friendly.

This is a good example of how people are different.

I tried a bp/w (18 consecutive dives) and didn't particularly like it; however, when I tried the Transpac I was sold.

Even though I'm a happy Transpac owner now I'm not sure it or a bp/w is preferable to my Zeagle Stiletto.

letsgodiving:
It will be my primary BC but I want something compact and good for travel. Actually we tend to only do boat dives and when you are wedged into a 20"-24" slot the clutter of a standard BC is a pain in the butt.

Given the choice of the Transpac OR Transplate with an aluminum BP, which would you prefer to use for single tank recreational diving?
I'd prefer the aluminum BP. They just feel more stable to me, and they're very comfortable, contrary to how they look. Plus, at that point, if you ever do any cold water diving, you can just add a steel plate and you're in business. Can't do that with a transpac.

When I left the jacket BC world behind, I started off with a transplate, but ultimately preferred the hog harness. If you're convinced you'll prefer the transplate, go for it, it's a great rig... just not so far removed from the BC you're trying to get away from, IMO. It still packs smaller, though... and if you decide to move to a hog harness later, it's a super cheap conversion.

Back
Top Bottom