Back Plate/ Wing question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanBMW

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been diving for many years with a BC and have had a few opportunities to use a BP/W, but it was with doubles. DSS had a great package, but I did not order it earlier enough. I'm internet/dealer shopping, but local dealers only stock a limited selection. I think I have read most of whats in the forum on BP/W and and am still trying to make a final selection. I get cold eaisly, I'm 5-10, weigh about 150.

I generally dive with a 5mm wet-suit and 3mm hooded vest. Single tank. 99% of my dives involve travel and are tropical in water about 70-80 degrees. I think I need a Stainless Steel back-plate, vs a so called light travel plate. Wing selection somewhere between 20-30 pounds of lift. Harness preference is simple soft vs stiff. I'm open to advise, packages, suggestions and recommendations. Cost is my last concern.

If cost is no consideration look at the scubapro S tek, nice soft webbing, comes assembled.

stainless makes weighting easier but you are carrying the weight when you travel rather than add it from the dive op stockpile.

there are many lower cost alternatives too but the SP set up is pretty well thought out.

Would definitely get the SS plate if diving 5 mil and a vest, you will need the weight unless you are a rock.
That SP rig Lex mentioned does look nice but I prefer double cam bands, especially on aluminium 80`s which you most likely will get when traveling. Looks like you are in FL, make some time and visit Dive Gear Express. They will get you sorted out.

I picked up a Dive Gear Express stainless bp/w just over a year ago. It's been great for both cold and warm water diving. Like you, I'm a cold diver, diving a 5mm wet suit in the Caribbean, so the stainless works great. As @lexvil said, you're traveling with some extra weight, but it packed so much nicer than my Lite Hawk, and is only a couple of pounds heavier, all said. Also, you'll need to set it up, it's not plug and play.

I have to admit, I'm curious about DGX's new softpack bp/w for my wife. I just haven't heard any feedback yet.

Erik

Would definitely get the SS plate if diving 5 mil and a vest, you will need the weight unless you are a rock.
That SP rig Lex mentioned does look nice but I prefer double cam bands, especially on aluminium 80`s which you most likely will get when traveling. Looks like you are in FL, make some time and visit Dive Gear Express. They will get you sorted out.
I haven’t tried the SP STA single band yet but the plate can be used with a conventional STA also for double bands.
DA105771-CBD2-408B-8F68-507C676CC9C6.jpeg

I think a SS plate, 30# wing, and single piece harness is the sweet spot and perfectly doable for travel. I've had a Halcyon Eclipse set-up since I started, but there are cheaper options out there too.

You might consider putting together your own rig so you can choose your own webbing. Halcyon webbing is nice and soft, but maybe a bit too soft.

You might consider putting together your own rig so you can choose your own webbing. Halcyon webbing is nice and soft, but maybe a bit too soft.

Continued bamboozlery.
This brings up a question that I've had for awhile. I've seen mention of too stiff, too soft and Goldilocks webbing. I have been known to cuss at the webbing that came with my unit because it is SOOO stiff. But what is a good texture (wrong word, I know, but best I could come up with on the fly) for working with when assembling a back plate? Does too soft mean that it's hard to thread through the slots?

Slight hijack, but OP may find it useful if they decide to put together their own.

Thanks
Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom