Transfill Hose Leak/Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

I have a Transfill Hose set up that's developed a leak. Picture enclosed with pencil pointed to where the leak is occurring.
It seems to leak once the pressure goes over 1200 psi.
The rest of the assembly is fine. Is there a place to buy a replacement hose if needed? where I can replace this hose?
Or perhaps it's not a fixable issue.
I'm not even sure why there is a leak there. Must have an embedded o ring in the location that's gone bad.
Thanks.
IMG_2438.JPG

Any industrial hose supplier should be able to make a hose. It is probably just old and leaking where the fitting is crimped on the hose. I say old because I notice the outer jacket has deteriorated and fallen off.

Thanks for the reply; Yes it's about 5 years old.
Does the hose have a specific name? (like 1/4" high-pressure hose)?

Was looking up high pressure stuff yesterday in switching one end of my whip to a quick disconnect for DIN tank or CGA580, I think those hoses and fittings are the same as for hydraulic use (high pressure, shouldn't leak fluid).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-091438.png
    Screenshot_20211031-091438.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 37
I do suggest pulling it apart and making sure it isn't JIC....

You can buy stainless steel braided hoses at McMaster-Carr. The ends are 1/4" NPT. They say rated to 3000psi but the burst pressure is closer 10,000psi.

They are completely fine for transfill whips. I've used these hoses on my compressor and booster for the last 5 years.

Thanks for the responses. Trying to figure it out.:rolleyes::rolleyes: due to options. Some of this stuff is foreign terminology for me.

"I do suggest pulling it apart and making sure it isn't JIC...." some of the hardware is I believe crimped and undoable.

Both JIC and NPT 1/4" are pretty popular on compressor fittings and hydraulic hoses.

From the Google: JIC (or Joint Industry Council) fittings, defined by SAE J514, are compression fittings machined with a 37 degree flare seating surface and parallel threads.

The difference is the way each thread seals. JIC seals on a metal-to-metal flare while NPT (National Pipe Thread) fittings use tapered threads. NPT uses sealants fill any voids between the threads that could travel along the thread spiral.

I highly suspect those fittings are 1/4" NPT but I've seen people use teflon tape on JIC (they shouldnt). They make adapters to go from 1/4" NPT to JIC and vice-versa so it's not a big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom